Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Does anyone know off hand the actual width differences between this 240 tire and the Dunlop 250?

I know it is sometimes hard to tell in pictures, but this 240 looks kinda small.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone know off hand the actual width differences between this 240 tire and the Dunlop 250?

I know it is sometimes hard to tell in pictures, but this 240 looks kinda small.

9.5" vs 10". The Dunlop 250 is about the same size as a Metz 260. An Avon Cobra 250 is about 9.75". *All measurements mounted on a 8.5" wheel.

Thread pattern also makes a huge difference on how wide a tire looks. IMO the Dunlop's tread pattern looks the most skinny.

The 240 on the stock Fury wheel is about 8.2"

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 240 on the stock Fury wheel is about 8.2"
More like 8.15" , but who's counting. With the 7" rim you go up to 8.68" and that's all your going to get between the frame/ swingarm.

As long as it fills up the back of the fender and looks fat, your Fury it sure to look mean.

LM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if their has been any known problems after you widen your rim and put some miles on the bike? Also how is the handling with the modification? Has anyone had any problems with rubbing? Just some questions that i was hoping could get answered by L&M or some guys from this forum that have had the modification done to their bike!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
rubbing

I tried this arrangement wit a uddy's rim and bought the same 240 tire... it will tuk and fit... however i found out that after the trie warms up it expands and flexes more... its called physics and it will start to rub... Extremely if you have second passenger! Thats why i sold the tire and will be doing the SumoX conversion or similar after summer.

Just my 2 cents... but u dont have to take my word for it.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I tried this arrangement wit a uddy's rim and bought the same 240 tire... it will tuk and fit... however i found out that after the trie warms up it expands and flexes more... its called physics and it will start to rub... Extremely if you have second passenger! Thats why i sold the tire and will be doing the SumoX conversion or similar after summer.

Great Comment! Friction makes the world go round and heats up all tires.
Real world application of some of these mods ie. larger rear tire have there ups and down. Rubbing, firm ride, harder to turn.
Engineers at Honda and Manufactures I work for wont rule out anything that proven and tested. The 200mm stock rear is proven and tested over the long haul.:)

Off Topic:
Exhaust of Fury had ALOT of R&D in it. It robs 8 hp with caty convert but is really a good exhaust THIS comment came straight from a exhaust faber/maker, so some stuff was well planned on this OEM/STOCK Fury!:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts

thanks a lot man, you def. answered my question

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great Comment! Friction makes the world go round and heats up all tires.
Real world application of some of these mods ie. larger rear tire have there ups and down. Rubbing, firm ride, harder to turn.
Engineers at Honda and Manufactures I work for wont rule out anything that proven and tested. The 200mm stock rear is proven and tested over the long haul.:)

Off Topic:
Exhaust of Fury had ALOT of R&D in it. It robs 8 hp with caty convert but is really a good exhaust THIS comment came straight from a exhaust faber/maker, so some stuff was well planned on this OEM/STOCK Fury!:cool:
Interesting, very interesting!

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts

Quick Question, which buddies rim and was it the right size? Where did he get the rim? Can you give a better example, like how "wide" was your "buddies" Rim (lol, guess this could be a joke too)? Did he use this exact same thing that Low and Mean is pointing out or did none of you ever try and measure all the facts of this statement, to bounce it off of Low and Means numbers?

Just curious as it looks like you just picked a rim, threw it on there and hoped for the best. AS THERE IS NO 7" RIM ON THE MARKET THAT CAN BE PURCHASED, I know as I have looked and called almost every rim manufacturer that I can possibly Google and find in magazines. This is a MODIFIED rim and would require a rim to be modded in order for it to conform to the stats that Low and Mean have put out.

I do not think that you followed the same guidelines that Low and Mean put out, especially if you just went and got a "buddies" rim. Even if his was modified, HOW do you know his rim was not 7 1/4" vs. 7"... this is the problem that I am having as the numbers do not add up and were never verified.

We have proven through MyFuryRide's numbers that you can have up to 3" of lowering height in the back before you rub (and his is about 3 1/2") And that is structurally lowering the bike, not just putting somebody on the back and making it rub...

We have proven if you keep your wheels at the proper psi, so that they don't bow out very much, that it is certainly possible to have an object 1/4" away from the tire and not rub (for example, the low and mean front fender).

Just VERY curious about the numbers as it looks as though no correct measurement were made for your process. This is why I cannot just "take your word for it" as proper testing procedures were not followed.

BTW, Funny, as I just re-read your comment with a dirty mind and it all just sounds funny...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Quick Question, which buddies rim and was it the right size? Where did he get the rim? Can you give a better example, like how "wide" was your "buddies" Rim (lol, guess this could be a joke too)? Did he use this exact same thing that Low and Mean is pointing out or did none of you ever try and measure all the facts of this statement, to bounce it off of Low and Means numbers?

Just curious as it looks like you just picked a rim, threw it on there and hoped for the best. AS THERE IS NO 7" RIM ON THE MARKET THAT CAN BE PURCHASED, I know as I have looked and called almost every rim manufacturer that I can possibly Google and find in magazines. This is a MODIFIED rim and would require a rim to be modded in order for it to conform to the stats that Low and Mean have put out.

I do not think that you followed the same guidelines that Low and Mean put out, especially if you just went and got a "buddies" rim. Even if his was modified, HOW do you know his rim was not 7 1/4" vs. 7"... this is the problem that I am having as the numbers do not add up and were never verified.

We have proven through MyFuryRide's numbers that you can have up to 3" of lowering height in the back before you rub (and his is about 3 1/2") And that is structurally lowering the bike, not just putting somebody on the back and making it rub...

We have proven if you keep your wheels at the proper psi, so that they don't bow out very much, that it is certainly possible to have an object 1/4" away from the tire and not rub (for example, the low and mean front fender).

Just VERY curious about the numbers as it looks as though no correct measurement were made for your process. This is why I cannot just "take your word for it" as proper testing procedures were not followed.

BTW, Funny, as I just re-read your comment with a dirty mind and it all just sounds funny...

Rim - VTX modified 7" wide 18" rim (rim was borrowed for fitting purposes off a custom cruiser running a 250 tire on a modified SumoX swing arm. Rim was not 7.25 nor 6.75)
Tire - Mez 240-40r-18 (was installed then later removed)
Rub - 3 & 1/2" rub measurement is accurate on stock 200 tire. That distance is not the same with the 240 Metz. The hight clearance was not a real issue except when having a passenger though. At first, it did not rub the swing arm when I rode around the block and I thought it was a winner, but it did when I went on a long drive. The black streak on the silver paint and the wear on the tire indicated clearly that the tire rubbed after extended driving.

I stated at the bottom of my previous post... "you dont have to take my word for it" Feel free to do it to your Fury and find out your own results.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Well... keep in mind that this thread is three years old and it had since been proven to work on a properly modified Fury rim. Most have gone 7 1/2" and at least one, even went 8".

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I can't answer that question, but do a search for Kosman. There should be plenty of threads to answer that.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I wouldnt spend $800 plus to only gain 1/2 to 3/4" if your doing it. Do it. Go 8.5 or 9" I'm going 9" with a 260 tire

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have the standard Kosman with a 240 Metzler inflated to 38 PSI with mo rubbing problems ... and i have a massive T-Mod done! I would say if this is the look you are going for, then go for it. Drop that rear fender and get rid fo the duck tail look, then get the Kosman with the Metzler. You wont be sorry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.