Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another mention in the forums of going from 4th to 5th and getting a neutral feeling. My problem is that my fury is brand new, and in the first 200 miles, twice I was in 5th gear and then the transmission slips and the engine revs and I lose power (as if I'm in neutral). I have to pull the clutch and reclick the pedal up to set it back in 5th gear.

So I'm a little concerned now. Is this a common Fury issue? What can cause a 5th gear disengage? Gear selector fork issue? Collar issue?

I have just over 200 miles and I'm bringing it to the dealer for the 600 mile service when I get there. I'll let them know of this issue and I'll keep my ears and eyes open so I can strictly document how it happens. But yesterday's ride I was definitely cruising in 5th on the highway and it slipped into neutral, engine screamed, and I had to reset it back into 5th and it ran fine the rest of the way.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I saw another mention in the forums of going from 4th to 5th and getting a neutral feeling. My problem is that my fury is brand new, and in the first 200 miles, twice I was in 5th gear and then the transmission slips and the engine revs and I lose power (as if I'm in neutral). I have to pull the clutch and reclick the pedal up to set it back in 5th gear.

So I'm a little concerned now. Is this a common Fury issue? What can cause a 5th gear disengage? Gear selector fork issue? Collar issue?

I have just over 200 miles and I'm bringing it to the dealer for the 600 mile service when I get there. I'll let them know of this issue and I'll keep my ears and eyes open so I can strictly document how it happens. But yesterday's ride I was definitely cruising in 5th on the highway and it slipped into neutral, engine screamed, and I had to reset it back into 5th and it ran fine the rest of the way.

Thanks guys.

Takek it back to the dealer that crap ain't right

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Mine did some quirky things after sitting all last winter. Sometimes getting the miles on it can work some of it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine did the same thing about three times in the first 1k miles. but not 1 time in the last 3500 miles. i personally think the oil has alot to do with it. i changed to mobil1 mc oil.

·
Registered
724 Posts
mine did the same thing about three times in the first 1k miles. but not 1 time in the last 3500 miles. i personally think the oil has alot to do with it. i changed to mobil1 mc oil.
I have been having the same problem. I have 8300 on her and she just started doing it. I don't know that the oil has anything to do with it. I am running semi-synthetic Spectro. I have never had a problem in the past. I am going to go to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'll have the dealer look at it. But what's up with it happening to many Furys? Is this looking like a manufacturing defect?

·
Registered
32 Posts
likewise, mine did it the first 1k, but after that it seemed to chill out.. but i had a vtx 1300 c before the fury, and that bike did the same thing too! also have friends that have 1300 R, and the C models, all have that same problem.. talked to the head mech. at the honda shop where i live at, he said that it is something to do with the 1300 vtx line.. like its a manufactoring flaw or something.. said he's seen dozens of bikes coming back to the shop with that complaint. and every single time he couldn't find nothing wrong, and it has never caused any problems with the bikes. only the inconvienance of having it happen..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
likewise, mine did it the first 1k, but after that it seemed to chill out.. but i had a vtx 1300 c before the fury, and that bike did the same thing too! also have friends that have 1300 R, and the C models, all have that same problem.. talked to the head mech. at the honda shop where i live at, he said that it is something to do with the 1300 vtx line.. like its a manufactoring flaw or something.. said he's seen dozens of bikes coming back to the shop with that complaint. and every single time he couldn't find nothing wrong, and it has never caused any problems with the bikes. only the inconvienance of having it happen..
Wow! Awesome post sphinx666! Is American Honda Motor Co., Inc. - Motorcycle Division aware of this? And what years does it affect? The 1300vtx has been out for quite some time, no?

My good friend has a 2005 VTX1800N and never had a problem. Weird that it's only on 1300's.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Happened a couple of times when bike was new, I just figured I was not stroking the shifter far enough to get it into high gear. Kinda like getting a piece of .... well you know!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm disturbed by how many people it's happening to, but also disturbed by many of you who seem like it hasn't happened to. How can this only be happening to some people if it's a possible manufacturing defect?

I'd really like acknowledgement or a statement from American Honda Motor Co., Inc. - Motorcycle Division. Which one of your hardcores know how to get in touch with them or where there are resources for manufacturing flaws documented anywhere?

This is why I'm leary of bringing it to the dealer cause they'll keep the bike forever and find nothing and that's less riding for me. My Honda dealer kindof sucks - they kept my friend's F4i for 2 weeks and couldn't diagnose an issue - they scare me, I have no confidence in them. If this is a well known issue with no resolution to date, I'd rather not let them get the opportunity to skull fuck me (sorry moderators).

·
Registered
1 Posts
4-5th gear problem

Please keep us updated on this thread.
Mine has 135 miles on it and has done this to me twice now.
Just want to know if there is a fix or if taking it to the dealer
is a waste of time. Thanks and glad to be a newbie on the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Sound like a similar issue I had about 13,000 miles ago.. (we had a thread going about it for a few weeks even), everybody, just take the damn bike into the dealer and tell them to replace the lever assembly for the clutch....

:eek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to my VTX, but it happens so infrequently, that It's hard to distinguish it from a mis-shift. There does seen to be a twilight zone between 4th and 5th gear occaisonally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sound like a similar issue I had about 13,000 miles ago.. (we had a thread going about it for a few weeks even), everybody, just take the damn bike into the dealer and tell them to replace the lever assembly for the clutch....

:eek:
Wait, RedspawnSilver, where is this thread? Is the lever assembly definitely the answer? Has anyone done this and the problem gone now?

We want to know if taking it to the dealer is a waste of time. You riders know the worst thing possible is a crash, second worse is a waste of riding time at a stupid stealership (especially us folk in NJ who have a limited riding season).

:(

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Wait, RedspawnSilver, where is this thread? Is the lever assembly definitely the answer? Has anyone done this and the problem gone now?

We want to know if taking it to the dealer is a waste of time. You riders know the worst thing possible is a crash, second worse is a waste of riding time at a stupid stealership (especially us folk in NJ who have a limited riding season).

:(
I don't know... I can't search past 500 posts on mine... anyways, I just replaced mine and it was much better, doesn't have issues now... My dealer couldn't figure it out either, greased up my lever and made sure it was gliding correctly... So he just replaced the whole lever assembly and that did the trick...

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Just wait till you run into the brake clicking issue... that's going to drive you nuts... My service guy (gold rated) even has it happening on his VTX... he doesn't know either, we've replaced the whole brake caliper... same issue. We're guessing the brake does that when it get's to a certain level, so that is our next step in the diagnosis plan... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I never encountered this symptom described..:rolleyes:
4K miles now, and hasn't done it once..:confused:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts