Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a brand new bike and was wondering if the 600 mile initial service is actually necessary (other than the oil change). It seems to be just checking things and my bike seems to be running perfectly fine. The dealers around here are charging $350-400 which I thought was a little over priced for basically an oil change and inspection. Any one get it done or have thoughts on this . thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
The most important part is to check the valves, should take no more than 2.5 hours, I've done 3 of them and it takes less time than that actually, most good dealers will wnt the milage to be closer to 1k, if you are mechanically inclined at all, buy a manual and do it yourself, not that difficult. Even if yo have to buy the tools and book it would be less, and you will have the book for other jobs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've never been what you would call mechanically inclined so I decided to take mine to the dealer for the 600 mile service which I understand is the most important and the most involved. In parts and labor cost was $255.00. I did however invest in the service manual which cost me $79.00 from the dealer. (I've since seen them for as low as $58.00 on ebay). From this point forward, I plan on doing all maintenance myself. If your dealer is asking $350 to $400 I think they are definitely putting the screws to you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I paid $341 for mine, and yeah I feel that was to much BUT I've never done a valve job before I've done just about everthing else though. I just wanted to make sure it was done right, I will however being do all further maintence myself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer for the 600 mile checkup! He said they also do a valve tune up! Being as i am not very mechanically inclined I decided taking it in would be the best! Cost me around 250.00! They put a bunch of parts on for free though! :D

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
It is not a "valve job" it is a check and maybe an adjustment, the 3 I have done all had loose intake valves, and I think all the exh were in spec.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It is not a "valve job" it is a check and maybe an adjustment, the 3 I have done all had loose intake valves, and I think all the exh were in spec.
When I said, "valve job" I was implying that it was a "valve check"...sorry for the slight misunderstanding next time i'll be more word specific!

·
Registered
147 Posts
just talked to my deal about my first service. they only charge $72 and said everything on the bike will get looked over and oil and filter will be changed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
that is a good deal I hope mine is that much

·
Registered
71 Posts
just talked to my deal about my first service. they only charge $72 and said everything on the bike will get looked over and oil and filter will be changed.
Make sure that includes the valve check/adjust, should be about 2 hours labor for that.

72$ probably is just covering oil/filter change and check all fluids and nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Make sure that includes the valve check/adjust, should be about 2 hours labor for that.

72$ probably is just covering oil/filter change and check all fluids and nuts and bolts.
thats what i thought too but i asked if that included valves and they said yes. so i hope they do it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Many are talking about arranging Fury rider meets. I'm thinking the perfect place after reading this is in Iowa.

Everybody can also get their bikes serviced for $72 and the money saved will pay for gas and lodging on the ride out!

I bet Matt would freak if 500 Fury riders showed up in front of his house!!

Just kidding of course!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Many are talking about arranging Fury rider meets. I'm thinking the perfect place after reading this is in Iowa.

Everybody can also get their bikes serviced for $72 and the money saved will pay for gas and lodging on the ride out!

I bet Matt would freak if 500 Fury riders showed up in front of his house!!

Just kidding of course!!
haha. Iowa works for me. or at least some where in the mid-states would be nice.

I think the dealer would freak more then i would with that many people needing serviced.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thats what i thought too but i asked if that included valves and they said yes. so i hope they do it.
Unless the cost of living is really low out there, or if they are willing to take a loss to encourage repeat business, I don't see how they can charge $72 and include a proper valve adjustment. Just for laughs, when dropping the bike off for service, I'd ask the mechanic to report back what the pre-adjustment settings were for each of the 6 valves that they checked and adjusted.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unless the cost of living is really low out there, or if they are willing to take a loss to encourage repeat business, I don't see how they can charge $72 and include a proper valve adjustment. Just for laughs, when dropping the bike off for service, I'd ask the mechanic to report back what the pre-adjustment settings were for each of the 6 valves that they checked and adjusted.
Cost of living here is pretty low compared to most cities. It is farm country You can live pretty comfortable in Des moines/iowa for around 35/40 k a year. Depending on your life style i guess. But i'll ask them about the measurements when i drop it off see what they say.

"Is this Heaven. No its Iowa"

1 - 20 of 99 Posts