Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I said a while back that i would make a thread pointing out some stuff i ran into installing these trees that gave me some trouble. So i just made a quick video instead of spending forever trying to type it up.

For the record i hate being on video and i was a little nervous so cut me some slack!

If anyone has anything else to add please do so in this thread. My goal was to help the next guy out.

YouTube - MOV02653

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoqY4du-zrk

PS i don't know why i said God Bless at the end of the video.....:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
PS i don't know why i said God Bless at the end of the video.....:eek:
Lol, nerves...

Now if I Say God Bless at the end of the video... I think everybody should duck and run... rotfl... :p

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, nerves...

Now if I Say God Bless at the end of the video... I think everybody should duck and run... rotfl... :p
HA HA! As soon as i said it i thought, 'Hell im not redoing the whole damn video for that."

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Good Luck and God Bless huh? LOL

My concern is that the extenders would be tight, especially with the chrome. My plan of attack will be to grease them up real good. See if some blows with the dead hammer will convience them to get in there. But at least i know there should be 1.5" out.

The only thing i can add about the install is the removal of the OEM bearing seats ... the bottom i couldnt get my claw hammer to catch, and ended up using my pry bar and hammer from the top.

Im also going to go out on a limb and tell those who may not know that the bearings need to be packed before buttoning everything up. Im sure there are some videos on YouTube showing you have to pack them if you dont know how.

Thanks for the 1.5" tip for the top end J.A.T.O. and did you end up using that washer to take up the slack?

C

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the video! Great advice. I am going to get these on later this week after the powder coater finishes them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Luck and God Bless huh? LOL

My concern is that the extenders would be tight, especially with the chrome. My plan of attack will be to grease them up real good. See if some blows with the dead hammer will convience them to get in there. But at least i know there should be 1.5" out.

The only thing i can add about the install is the removal of the OEM bearing seats ... the bottom i couldnt get my claw hammer to catch, and ended up using my pry bar and hammer from the top.

Im also going to go out on a limb and tell those who may not know that the bearings need to be packed before buttoning everything up. Im sure there are some videos on YouTube showing you have to pack them if you dont know how.

Thanks for the 1.5" tip for the top end J.A.T.O. and did you end up using that washer to take up the slack?

C
Good luck with the extenders after chrome! Just remember that if you pound them into the upper tree (especially with chrome) they're not coming back out. I tried everything to get the left side out everyway possible with no luck. I ended up clamping down on it in a vice and it was still hard to get out. Ruined the threads. This is even after i sanded it down for extra clearance. Luckily it was my extra f'd up one that i recieved initially from vtxtreme.

I didn't like how they said to apply a light coat of grease either. I was wondering how many people would attempt this without knowing how to properly grease the bearings.

Yes i did use the washer under the bolt head just to be safe. I did some measuring before hand to ensure that i would have proper thread insertion in the upper tree.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I hope it doesn't sound like im talking down to anyone. Just wanted to mention some stuff that can be easily overlooked.

Don't forgot to use some grease on that axle when reinstalling it. Makes life easier.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I hope it doesn't sound like im talking down to anyone! Just wanted to mention some stuff that can be easily overlooked.

Don't forgot to use some grease on that axle when reinstalling it. Makes life easier.
Thanks! Not talking down at all, I was just going to use their video and instructions and go at it. Glad I saw your post. For the grease, where is a good place to pick it up and are there different types? I am new to this and branching out by attempting the install.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
First, nothing wrong with saying God bless - I'll take all of those I can get. Second, good video!

I couldn't even get my handlebar extenders on without loosening things up in the headlight. BTW, I hate wiring harness connectors! They're all different and finding the magic thing to lift or push is a pain - especially in a confined space like a headlight.

Regarding the extenders fitting all the way into the holes, I had the same problem but I sanded the extensions down. Used a $20 Harbor Freight digital caliper to ensure fit depth. That caliper is great. Much quicker to measure the nuts and bolts rather than trial and error with two or three or four sockets/wrenches.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Nice video JATO

I didn't like how they said to apply a light coat of grease either. I was wondering how many people would attempt this without knowing how to properly grease the bearings.
When I watched the video of this I was kind of shocked that they said that, but then I came across a posting on the VTXOA that warned not to over grease the bearing , (they claimed) when the greased worked it's way back out the bearing would be loose. Still ROFLMAO over that. I have done hundreds of them, none have ever come back. I grease them just like wheel bearings.

Thanks! For the grease, where is a good place to pick it up and are there different types? I am new to this and branching out by attempting the install.
I use a good waterproof wheel bearing grease, from NAPA

I use this tool Park Tool USA Steering Race Remover | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and would recommend it to anyone who might be doing more than 1 or 2 bearing (triple tree) replacements.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Regarding the extenders fitting all the way into the holes, I had the same problem but I sanded the extensions down. Used a $20 Harbor Freight digital caliper to ensure fit depth. That caliper is great. Much quicker to measure the nuts and bolts rather than trial and error with two or three or four sockets/wrenches.
How much would you say you sanded? any tips on that? I tried putting the extenders in the tree and there was about 1.75 left out versus 1.5.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use a good waterproof wheel bearing grease, from NAPA

I use this tool Park Tool USA Steering Race Remover | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and would recommend it to anyone who might be doing more than 1 or 2 bearing (triple tree) replacements.
Thanks! I found some youtube videos for wheel bearings where the guys put the grease in the palm of their hands and pressed the bearing on it until they got the grease in. they left a fair amount of grease on the bearing, should I do that here or take some of it off?

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Thanks! I found some youtube videos for wheel bearings where the guys put the grease in the palm of their hands and pressed the bearing on it until they got the grease in. they left a fair amount of grease on the bearing, should I do that here or take some of it off?
I leave alot on it, it is a messy job. The guy that taught me has been doing it like that for 35+ years and has never had a problem, on or off the track.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I leave alot on it, it is a messy job. The guy that taught me has been doing it like that for 35+ years and has never had a problem, on or off the track.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. I have to take the front forks a part so I can get the lowers powder coated so it will probably be next week before I get to the install.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
What a great video!!
Thanks I feel the same as you do as far as everything being installed correctly!
Obviously the 3" extenders in the L&M video are not in as far as they could be! Must be why it's recommended to have everything tightened up after a little riding.
Great job!
Maybe you could have your wife sitting on the bike next time???:D

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
even though i don't have the trees i decided to watch the video and see what it was about, great video and nothing to be ashamed of and definitely nothing to apologize about with saying god bless!

lmfao i was wondering when someone was going to mention something about not seeing the wife in the video, to tell the truth i thought we was going to get a glimpse lol.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you can get your extenders to properly seat into the top tree (the part in the L&M video where they make a mark with a sharpie) without having to pound them in to get 1 1/2" sticking out, then do it that way. It will be easier and quicker.
The low and mean video has you thread the extender onto the fork with a screw driver stuck through the extender. That's the best way in a perfect world. My trees werent so cooperative.

Something that i should have mentioned in the video is if you have to install the extenders in the upper tree before the forks are in place (like me), you're going to need a decent rubber strap wrench. I picked up one similar to the link for $9 at a local auto parts place.

Husky - 2 Strap Wrench Set - 12054002 - Home Depot Canada

The reason is once the extender is in the top tree, your going to have to screw the fork onto the extender. The wrench is so you can get a good grip on that fork tube because if you grab it at the bottom and it just spins.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
How much would you say you sanded? any tips on that? I tried putting the extenders in the tree and there was about 1.75 left out versus 1.5.

Thanks for the insight!
I used 400 grit and sanded both the hole and the extender until it went all the way in without getting stuck. It took a good bit of sanding. A lower grit will probably make it go faster. I think the hole has a slight taper toward the bottom which causes the extender to stick with only a small amount of force so be carefull. There were times when I didn't think I'd be able to get it back out for more sanding.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts