Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright nation, this might be a bit of a story but I wanted to give the full background.
Bought the bike a few years ago. After doing some routine maintenance about a year into ownership, I noticed when I looked down the barrel of the fork, there was a slight "twist" in the trees. Ie the lower crown wasn't aligned with the axle, and the upper crown was just a hare off of the lower crown.

The bike was not tracking weird nor did it effect the steering in any way so I let it go. I chalked it up to the shipping company getting a bit aggro with the bike since there was a light crease in one of the fork tubes (you could see the light "bend".

I did some initial troubleshooting which led me to believe it was that bend crease in the stanchion that was forcing me to twist the upper crown to get it to seat correctly.

So finally I decided to do something about it, I bought Bill's (thanks Bill!!) old forks since he went to a springer front end. Got them in the mail this week and went to town today on swapping the tubes.

Here's a few photos for you people that haven't had your forks off. BTW the brake side (right) is the one in question. It took me a total of 10 minutes to disassemble the donor fork.

Here are the internals of the fork:

It is all pretty self explanatory to get it back together, and not having a proper tool wasn't a big deal in order to seat the oil seal. You have to make sure they go in the right way though.

Pretty clever trick to drive the oil seal in is to build up electrical tape on the stanchion to the proper size:

Seating the seal in action:

You have to seat the seal enough so that the groove is exposed and you can install the keeper snap ring in there:

Anyway, started putting the bike back together to go for a ride and the same twist was still there. ( Don't you love throwing money at things?). I disconnected the upper crown from the stanchions to just isolate the lower crown, and put the axle in. The lower crown was not parallel with the axle with the stanchions just bolted in the lowers!!

So I went into front end teardown mode. The green Reaper lost it's legs:

The following post will be the results...

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So with the forks out and the trees off the bike, I clamped the forks into the lower crown.
In theory, even clamped in the lower crown, the forks should go down the pipes straight, and even.

Here's what I'm getting:

I tried as best as I could to get shots right down the barrel. You can take note of the fender bosses, those should be directly across from each other.

To sum it up. I think the PO didn't disclose something to me when I purchased the bike. There was no other damage to the bike when I got it, it was mint.

To me I'm seeing a twisted or bent lower crown.

So I need the help of you guys. If anyone has switched to 8* trees from Low and Mean or VTX and had black OEM triples, I'd like to buy them from you and would be willing to pay for expedited shipping. Riding season is here and it is killing me that this issue went deeper than what I had already though.

Thanks guys, I searched Ebay and found some upper crowns in black but nothing in lower. I'd hate to know what the stealership charges for those....:3ek:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to add too that I don't have social media, so if any of you are part of the Fury Nation on Facebook if someone would be willing to mention this over there? Would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
I have a good lower triple tree in Black.

I have an upper too but there is damage to it.

The lower is original from my bike the upper is one that I traded my original upper for. Someone on here needed it so we swapped since I wasn't using it since I went with 8° trees.

If you need the lower I will dig it out and get it boxed up for you tomorrow.

PM me your phone number and I will text you to get your address.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a good lower triple tree in Black.

I have an upper too but there is damage to it.

The lower is original from my bike the upper is one that I traded my original upper for. Someone on here needed it so we swapped since I wasn't using it since I went with 8° trees.

If you need the lower I will dig it out and get it boxed up for you tomorrow.

PM me your phone number and I will text you to get your address.
Awesome thank you!! Ill PM!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to say a big thanks to @Kbuskill. Once again saved by forum members for parts!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts