Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Fury Riders,
I got the black spike from D2Moto for $99 with $5.99 shipping, website below.
Harley Davidson S&S Carburetor Spike Air Cleaner / Air Filter Kit Black

The spike arrived while I was out of town but I got a chance to check it out last night. It came with all items shown on the webpage and took about 5 days to get from Cali to Virginia. It is a decent spike but I have a few issues with it. Hopefully you will have some suggestions. The pictures posted shows the finish, there are multiple spots where the finish has little chips where you can see the aluminum below, not that much of a problem because I will probably get it painted to match the other black paint on the bike. The spike is just less than 9 inches long and the elbow is 4.5 inches from the base to its highest point and is 6.75 from the base to the end of the curve. I think the biggest problem is the way the elbow connects to the spike. It is held together by two contact or friction screws (I am sure there is an official name for this). Once you tighten the screws it is easy to pull the spike off the elbow. It would be better if the screws went all the way through or these pieces where welded together. What do you all think?
The second issue is the screws that come with the spike to attach it to the bike are not very long as I am sure it is intended for some other connection point than what I have. I have longer screws with the other aftermarket filter I have on the bike. These screws will only make it into two of the three holes on the filter to the connection point. The bend of the elbow on the last hole makes it impossible to get longer screws in. Any ideas on how to connect the last screw or some other type of screw I could use?

Make sure you have either have the LM adapter or are good at mod'in things yourself if needed, my skills are limited there. I think I am going to get the LM adapter to solve this problem. My other air filter is shown in case you are wondering what is already there.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Banned
622 Posts
hey man i have to say that the company really dropped th ball on the fit and finish with this product didnt they.... you paid a hundred bucks but dang they could have rattle canned that to a better finish .... you can run to and ace hardware/ or auto parts house and get the screws you need.... and you can match up some self drilling screw to go through the spike and neck so they dont come apart and it shouldnt it at all....i have got stuff from them before and have been 50/50 on it when i came so i understand any frustration you have now with then

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sick, thanks for the advice! on a seperate note, did you get the pans for the seats?

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Looks like same style that I got off Ebay, except mine was chrome. I had same thoughts you did, seemed really heavy and parts fit together loosely IMO. I ran it for over a year and it never fell off or come apart at elbow but you don't feel very confident with how secure it is. MFR has it now, maybe he has some thoughts on it.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I have had no problems with mine . The only difference I see in the $99 dollar one and mine is the solid mount versus mine is a slip ring style mount . I have two $99 dollar chrome ones comeing , so will see soon about any other different's .

·
Banned
622 Posts
they will be here monday i hope.......chris got them shipped out on tuesday so my fingers are crossed

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I am right with you on these issues,
My thoughts are as follows. since it is a cast piece its a pain to weld. so I am going to drill out the holes in the cone, and drill holes into the tube and tap the hole then use a button head allen bolt bole. as for the other bolts being to short, the are probably suppose to thread into adapter. i may be wrong for I have not seen these bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
There is that old saying (You get what you pay for) that's why the D&M Spike is so expensive It's a beautiful part...............

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Just received them and as stated before the slip ring is the only difference , other than that seem ok . As Sea Dawg stated old saying , Get what you paid for . Overall Im happy though .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Just received them and as stated before the slip ring is the only difference , other than that seem ok . As Sea Dawg stated old saying , Get what you paid for . Overall Im happy though .
can you hear the ocean if you do this?

·
Registered
806 Posts
The slip ring is easy enough to fix with a drill and tap. How would you rate the quality of the spikes? How is the chrome? I am sitting hear staring at the completed order page on D2Moto's site just waiting for a reason to hit either submit or cancel.

Thanks Blu

·
Registered
806 Posts
Am I reading this wrong? Does this spike fit the Fury with no intake adapter neccesary?
I don't think it does. It is a Harley 3-hole mount and our Fury's throttle body has 4 holes. An adapter is needed, either the L&M spike or an Accutronix or whatever adapter comes with your aftermarket intake.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
The slip ring is easy enough to fix with a drill and tap. How would you rate the quality of the spikes? How is the chrome? I am sitting hear staring at the completed order page on D2Moto's site just waiting for a reason to hit either submit or cancel.

Thanks Blu
The chrome is fine . The first one I had on the bike for over a year and no problems with it . The two new ones look the same . Great buy for the money .

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

spikes.jpg

dang, that boy looks familiar--you ever play one of them aliens on Star Trek?:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
my chrome spike showed up Fri and overall I'm impressed for the price. Only thing wrong is the tip looks like it came thru the plastic and the box and is scratched. Not a big deal but will try to get it exchanged. Pretty damn solid for a spike and the price was great!!!! Any ideas where to get a rain sock for it?

·
Registered
630 Posts
my chrome spike showed up Fri and overall I'm impressed for the price. Only thing wrong is the tip looks like it came thru the plastic and the box and is scratched. Not a big deal but will try to get it exchanged. Pretty damn solid for a spike and the price was great!!!! Any ideas where to get a rain sock for it?
Mine came the same way. the spike poked a hole in the shipping box. But no damage on mine. Just waiting on lm adapter and fuel thingy. not goind duel just yet. Took 500 to get this going. dont tell wife pls.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts