Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the talk about how good the Big City Thunder Monster baffles sound, I thought I'd cut my swept baffles to try to simulate the washer shape in the Monster. First here's a look at the monster innards; very simple.

I had already cut my baffles down to one section with an extra 3/8" hole drilled in the end. I drew out what I wanted to do and used a sharp punch on the pencilled dots then drilled four holes to get started.

Used a Dremel cutting bit to finish it out.

After taking her out for a spin, I like the sound. Here's a video so you can hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
very nice work! It is hard to tell in the garage but sounds pretty damn good anyway!

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Great job! Sounds great!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
With all the talk about how good the Big City Thunder Monster baffles sound, I thought I'd cut my swept baffles to try to simulate the washer shape in the Monster. First here's a look at the monster innards; very simple.

I had already cut my baffles down to one section with an extra 3/8" hole drilled in the end. I drew out what I wanted to do and used a sharp punch on the pencilled dots then drilled four holes to get started.

Used a Dremel cutting bit to finish it out.

After taking her out for a spin, I like the sound. Here's a video so you can hear it.

YouTube - Cobra swept exhaust baffle mod
Cypress,
Had a chance to get it out on the road and take a listen? I'm interested in cutting my Cobra baffles but worried it may be to loud also what about back pressure with the additional cutout material?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cypress,
Had a chance to get it out on the road and take a listen? I'm interested in cutting my Cobra baffles but worried it may be to loud also what about back pressure with the additional cutout material?
I'm very pleased with the sound. Thinking about shaving off the remaining 1/16" of metal around the outer edge. When I had the baffles out it was loud but I didn't like the tone. This is a happy medium for me.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Notice any difference in bottom end torque? Seems to me that the off-the-line power is down with no baffles at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would you agree that by not having the middle tab, and by leaving a little more lip around the edge (which is an easier mod), you would have the same amount of back pressure?
That is basically the difference between yours and mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Notice any difference in bottom end torque? Seems to me that the off-the-line power is down with no baffles at all.
I noticed no decrease in bottom end torque.

Would you agree that by not having the middle tab, and by leaving a little more lip around the edge (which is an easier mod), you would have the same amount of back pressure?
That is basically the difference between yours and mine.
Since I have zero expertise in air flow and back pressure I just tried to copy the Thunder City Monster design. Hopefully those guys did some testing. My assumption is that having the ring in the center makes a difference but again, I'm trusting the Thunder folks on that point. Plan to remove the extra 1/16" around the edge this weekend.

what happens if you remove the baffle completely
Tried that and didn't like the sound. It was loud for sure but to me it was a low-quality sound. As noted above, others say that removing the baffle reduces power off the line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
cypress i think you did a grate job with the baffle i took mines off when i installed the cobras brand new so i would not have trouble taking them off later. just not sure how i want to do the cuts keep us updated to see whats the best way to cut them. because let me tell you having the baffle off my neighbors must hate me lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts