Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I want to get a Fury for my first bike. I have sat on 2 Fury's and it seems to fit me good I'm 6'-2" 235lbs. I'm 40 years old and have ridden dirt bikes a few times as a kid. What are your opinions for or against ABS that is coming out soon, I hope. I have seen a guy riding a Harley lock up his back wheel fish tailing it trying to stop to avoid hitting a car that pulled out in front of him (he was speeding of course:eek:). Thanks in advance.:)

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Take a riders course, (not being smart azzed, I am serious), so you can learn some good habits. Locking up the rear is a pretty good indication that he wasn't using his brakes properly. I have ridden a few Goldwings with ABS and didn't notice much differance, but I never ended upneeding them either. If they make you feel safer and don't mind the cost, go for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ABS or not? A long time ago we were mandated that all cars get seat belts because it saved lives. There were those that fought against it and still do with rants like "Id rather get thrown clear of an accident" or "What if you land in the water? The seat belt would be a hinderance." Yes, possible, but you have better odds of winning the lottery than either of those scenarios.

ABS is about having control in an emergency situation. Your ability to maneuver through and around a hazards under extreme breaking is greatly increased. Unless you plan on practicing panic breaking and control, ABS might be the right choice for you. Let's face it the Fury is a big powerful machine (and yes I know about the bigger bikes) ABS for a beginner ? IMHO definitely a big GO FOR IT!

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
My personal opinion, ABS doesn't belong on a Motorcycle, neither does traction control... but then again. I'm not part of the manufactures R&D department. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
ABS doesn't belong on a motorcycle - you've got to be joking. You can stop faster day in and day out, much safer in any reduced traction situation, and regulation front/rear is not going to throw you. Many accidents could have been avoided if the bike/rider had ABS.
Making that recommendation to a new rider is even more troubling.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
ABS doesn't help you stop faster. ABS allows you to manuever around obsticles while braking which actually increases braking distance.

This was not an opinion towards a new rider, it's my opinion in General. If you can stop a bike with out locking up the brakes, maybe you shouldn't be riding :eek:

Also, a Basic Rider Course should be one of the first things you do! It will educate you in the proper braking procedures and the proper procedures if you were to lock up either a front tire, or a rear tire, because there are seperate things you should be doing:

If your front brake locks up, you need to release IMMEDIATELY!

If your rear brakes lock up, you need to come to a complete stop before releasing the brake, or else you could get tossed over (aka High Sided)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts