Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Cobra Slashdown pipes. Still waiting for my Cobra Powerpro tuner (late May now) I have read that you can use the pipes alone with no tuner, and no problems, but could I also use the Big City Monster Baffels without the fuel tuner? Also will my pipes carbon up inside without the tuner?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Got my Cobra Slashdown pipes. Still waiting for my Cobra Powerpro tuner (late May now) I have read that you can use the pipes alone with no tuner, and no problems, but could I also use the Big City Monster Baffels without the fuel tuner? Also will my pipes carbon up inside without the tuner?
You don't necessarily need a fuel controller with the new exhaust, but in my opinion, if you modify the new exhaust with the Monster Baffels, it would probably be a good idea to have the fuel controller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks STEVEO, thats was what I was thinking also. I think I will just wait for the fuel controler. Its just tough looking at those pipes lying on the floor, and not on my bike!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yea, It's one thing to wait for them to ship a product, but it's entirely different, to have the item, and have to wait to install.
Get the controller, and forget the baffles.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
You don't necessarily need a fuel controller with the new exhaust, but in my opinion, if you modify the new exhaust with the Monster Baffels, it would probably be a good idea to have the fuel controller.
Yea you do need a fuel controller by just changeing the exhaust

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yea you do need a fuel controller by just changeing the exhaust
Actually, no, since you're not increasing the mass-flow by changing just the pipes. It's when you change the air-filter to one that flows more efficiently that you MUST install a Fuel-Controller, or your mixture will be too lean. That said, even a box-stock Fury can benefit from the addition of an aftermarket Fuel-Controller, since the machine, as delivered, comes set-up to run on the lean side of the AFR curve. The factory does this to minimize emissions and maximize fuel mileage. A stock Fury, with the Fuel-Controller installed and properly adjusted, will start and idle better and have better acceleration. Just FWIW...................

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, no, since you're not increasing the mass-flow by changing just the pipes. It's when you change the air-filter to one that flows more efficiently that you MUST install a Fuel-Controller, or your mixture will be too lean. That said, even a box-stock Fury can benefit from the addition of an aftermarket Fuel-Controller, since the machine, as delivered, comes set-up to run on the lean side of the AFR curve. The factory does this to minimize emissions and maximize fuel mileage. A stock Fury, with the Fuel-Controller installed and properly adjusted, will start and idle better and have better acceleration. Just FWIW...................

Cheers
What would be a good fuel-controller and air-filter combo? I have been looking at a couple cone style air-filters.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
What would be a good fuel-controller and air-filter combo? I have been looking at a couple cone style air-filters.
OK, grab a beer, sit back and relax; this is going to take quite a few words.

As to the Fuel-Controller, the majority of us are running the Cobra Fi2000R (get the 49-state model, not the Calif. model, which comes pre-set and has no adjustments) and have been quite pleased with it. Of the several other options, it is the easiest to install and to adjust. At first, everyone was trying all kinds of different settings, attempting to arrive at the optimal settings. Frustrated, I finally mounted an AFR Gage, which gave me a direct, real-time read-out of the running Air/Fuel Ratio under any and all riding conditions, and from these readings, I was able to determine that the optimal setting on the Cobra unit was 1-2-2. Everyone else eventually came to the same conclusion.

Your choice of Air-Filters is extensive and any of the popular designs/styles will work about equally well. The main point is to get one that picks-up it's air from the slip-stream sufficiently away from the engine cylinders. The intake opening on your stock air-box is situated between the engine cylinders, sucking hot air into the engine; you don't have to be a physicist to know that hot air is less dense than cold air and will, therefore, produce less power when inducted into the engine. So, get a filter that "breathes" from the relatively cool, turbulence-free slipstream. As an aside, Cobra also makes a really nice, efficient, good-looking filter. I, personally, am running a V-Charger (looks like a Hyper-Charger without the flaps) and am quite happy with it, but other designs will work equally well.

Whew! Told you it was going to be long-winded, but I hope I've adequately answered your questions.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
well the fuel controller has been talked about a great deal, ultimately you need to decide what kind of control you want over your settings, if you want to get the bike dyno'd and running almost perfectly then get a power commander, if you want something that you can tune good and be able to do it yourself then get a cobra or one of the other ones, that's my opinion on them anyways.

i don't know much about the cones but there are lots of different spikes floating around that you can get pretty cheaply, D&M is a nice one and cheap, I got mine from eBay, main thing with the cones and spikes is that your going to have to get an adapter that accepts a 3 bolt harley style cone/spike intake which L&M's is like $180 for the black and I think another $100 on top of that for the chrome one, there are others out there but depends on what style you like best.

in case you haven't i would advise checking out the FAQ as it has lots of info and links. http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/3566-honda-fury-faq.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Hyper Charger is about the most effective (performance wise). The looks go to the spike type air systems. Once there is air flow,comming into the front of the Hyper Charger,it forces the air flow to increase. It's not rocket science. The car guy's have used hood scoops/tunnel ram boxes for years to "compress" the air flow. That being said,I still like the looks of the "spike" design,best. On this bike (with it's engine) it isn't going to matter much what one you use. It's not gonna rip your arms out of their sockets!:D Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts