Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard of adding Schrader valves to the forks of the FURY? I know all my dirt bikes had them and you really can tune the front forks quite well (Get rid of the sponge) I talked to L&M they said to talk with a shock builder..Don’t know any how about our bike mechanics on here? It would be a cheap mod that actually does something LOL............:cool:

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Has anybody heard of adding Schrader valves to the forks of the FURY? I know all my dirt bikes had them and you really can tune the front forks quite well (Get rid of the sponge) I talked to L&M they said to talk with a shock builder..Don’t know any how about our bike mechanics on here? It would be a cheap mod that actually does something LOL............:cool:
only problem with that is more parts to fail. on a dirt bike you have various terrain types where street bikes your more limited in the terrain your riding, once its dialed in you should be fine for a while.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
OK THAT CONFUSED THE HELL OUT OF ME...LOL....:eek:
Sorry was hungry for breakfast and rushed that post. I think adding an air valve to the front for more of a dampening effort would be a bad idea. You would be adding failure points with the extra seals needed to hold air in the valve. With dirtbikes it is a nice feature since they ride various terrain Rock, sand, mud... on streetbikes once dampening and everything is tuned for your average weight and riding style no further adjustments are really needed

· Registered
2,152 Posts
.....It would be a cheap mod that actually does something LOL............:cool:
Let's see, do I even wanna' jump-in on this one; OK, ya, what the hell........

I guess I should open by asking, "WHY?". According to the Shop Manual, our Fury's come with 4-inches of "progressive" front suspension travel. Based on the "sweep marks" on my forks, I"m only using 2-1/4 inches of that available travel ('course I weigh-in at 175 pounds, which the FAA certifies to be the average weight of the American male) and my Fury rides quite nice, thank you. Why would I want to go to the trouble and expense of installing Schraeder Valves and having to carry around a little pump so I could adjust my fork action on the road, between the house and various saloons, when the roads are all paved and I don't need the extra travel? Unlike my dirt-bikes, where I adjust the fork pressure, at appropriate intervals, to accommodate the changing terrain over which I am running, my Fury requires no such variable accommodation to ever-changing surfaces; I suspect that yours doesn't either. Just my two-bits.

Cheers

· Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well Bar,
I'm 210 and the front end just runnin around town is soft to me..when i pull up to a light it just sinks a little to much for me !! A few psi would solve the problem without spending $1000.00 on a full spring rebuild with all the bells n such ..:D .. two fittings some steel braided line 1 valve (For equal fill) and bam i would think do really need to change the seals is my question if your talkin under 10psi.............:confused:

And as far as changing terrain i ride on asphalt with my FURY try to stay out of the dirt ( Gets my bike dirty)

· Registered
147 Posts
Hey Sea Dawg! You want a cheap fix that will only cost you about 20$. It's simple. You say the shock dip a little too much in the front for ya. Don't change the springs nor try to add a schrader valve. Instead of having the 10 weight fork oil that Honda runs in the front forks, run 20 weight oil and it will stiffen up the ride guaranteed. I ran 20 weight in my 10 inch over front end on my old chopper. stiffened it up cause the front end was freakin long. Try that on for size for a cheap fix! :D:D:D

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Sea Dawg! You want a cheap fix that will only cost you about 20$. It's simple. You say the shock dip a little too much in the front for ya. Don't change the springs nor try to add a schrader valve. Instead of having the 10 weight fork oil that Honda runs in the front forks, run 20 weight oil and it will stiffen up the ride guaranteed. I ran 20 weight in my 10 inch over front end on my old chopper. stiffened it up cause the front end was freakin long. Try that on for size for a cheap fix! :D:D:D
Very cool idea Thanks.....:D Oh and very cool ride

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Actually, changing base-line weights (viscosity's) of the fork oil ONLY changes the damping rate, i.e., the relative "harshness" of the compression/rebound dampening. To achieve a higher ride level (i.e., to compensate for rider load), one needs merely to add a cylindrical "slug" on top of the fork springs, say about 1-inch long. Since ALL springs are rated in "compression-inch-pounds", I'm reasonably guessing that "pre-loading" the stock Fury fork springs by 1-inch would net you about 50-pounds of pre-load, which, if you're 200-225 pounds of body mass, should return your loaded ride-heigth to approximately normal. Hint: A stack of washers of the right diameter accomplishes the same end as the "slug", and allows you to easily "tune" the final ride-height by adding or subtracting washers; just remember to put the same number in each fork. Moral: Washers are cheap and universally available; drilled and tapped fork caps, Schrader Valves, and small, portable suspension pumps can, collectively, get expensive, not to mention the additional pressure-induced wear and tear on the fork seals.

Just my two-bits...........

Cheers

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Next time I need a scientific explanation I know who to talk to! LOL!
Actually, not so much "scientific", just old-school motorcycle shop stuff; for verification, ask Clueless, or 460, or any other "old-fart" who's been "in the business" for a few years LOL.

Cheers

· Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Next time I need a scientific explanation I know who to talk to! LOL!
It's just knowledge... has nothing to do with science... just knowledge... :D That is like saying, everything we have learned in the last 40 years is a kick in the pan compared to the last 2000 years... errr, ummm, that might be a bad example... ;)

· Registered
181 Posts
also another mod that we used to do to stiffen up the front is to put a spacer on top of the fork springs. to compress them alittle this will take up the sag in the forks. plus running 20wt fork oil will stiffen up over the bumps also like cory said. but wont increase ride height, unless you stiffen up the springs ans take the sag out.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
.....also another mod that we used to do to stiffen up the front is to put a spacer on top of the fork springs. to compress them alittle this will take up the sag in the forks........
I thought that that's what I described, but apparently I didn't make myself very clear. Sorry. LOL.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.