Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the forum and have just purchased a silver fury...... I love it. I have put on new braided cables from low and mean. XL shooter grips and pegs, tribal seat and spoiler with the led lights. I am looking to change the air intake. I am going to order the low and mean spike adapter and was wondering what the best options I would have for replacing the stock air intake. I am new to the motorcycle world and need all the help I can get.

Anyone have any advise to help???????

Thanks....

PDBear154

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
PD....First of all --Welcome to the forum! :D This IS a great place to get ideas and answers.

I, too, had a quandry about the intake. I would suggest that you go to 'search' and type in "intake" and there is a slew of posts of the options you have.;)

Right now Accutronix and the Low & Mean Adapter seem to be the only routes to take for an adapter. The air cleaner choices are HUGH! :p

My Opinion ..... Go with one of the adapters and then choose the air cleaner you like. ;) There are many, many members that have (can) help by example here.

Again, welcome. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
PDBear154:
Welcome to the forums, input to follow which is great about the forums here.

I must add that if your changing the intake on your stock Fury, your going to need a fuel controller to accompany it.
Adding a extreme amount of air with a new intake is going to change the air/fuel ratio dramatically, on the more air than fuel side. The only way to compensate is a electronic fuel controller. The motor is going to run hotter with more air than fuel.
Like Painter stated above, search in the forums here.
The are several fuels controllers available for the Fury and they run about $215.00 on up.
Tony

Tony

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
we had a nice discussion on this and how proper air intake selection can help, but none of us i think have really researched it much beyond just the theory. even had youtube video's up of how proper breaking down of the gas can help

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
we had a nice discussion on this and how proper air intake selection can help, but none of us i think have really researched it much beyond just the theory. even had youtube video's up of how proper breaking down of the gas can help
There you go assuming "none of us I think" have really researched this beyond just the theory.

You joined this forum in Jan 2010, there are many posts from back in June, July & August about this topic..

I did do the research on the different fuel controllers for the Fury..
I can also speak from experience running the S & S without one and highly recommend NOT changing the air intake without a fuel controller.

See forum post
http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-tech-performance-chat/850-exhast-pipe-changes-fuel-management.html

To All:
I started this thread in the forum to help me understand the need for a fuel controller when changing stock air and exhaust components.
I am a novice on this subject and now feel a a lot more informed.

I read up on EFI and MAP's after reading all the feedback.
I then went and read the documentation available on the different fuel controllers.
My conclusion on this thread was YES you need some sort of fuel controller to add more fuel whenever you increase air intake. Since it's not a carburetor, these controllers control the addition of fuel added to the engine.
To prove my point, I added the S & S air cleaner and immediately notice sluggishness at low speeds, and even cold start and idling without a fuel controller. The motor is now getting more air than before with the stock filter. The motor also now appears to be running hotter than before.

I researched the documentation available on three different fuel controllers.
I've made my choice based on reading up on these controllers.

I do feel that adding a fuel controller and aftermarkets components, there is nothing that can replace having the bike checked with a Dyno evaluation and adjusting.

With the above said, I encourage you to check out the different controllers and make your choice.
1. Fi2000r
2 PowerCommander V
3. Fuggin Fuel Controller

My personal evaluation of the three:
Fi2000r is recommended by CobraUSA, has 3 pots for low, mid, and high speed settings

PowerCommander V is probably the most adjustable, with MAP's and computer configured. It appears to me that a Dyno is required to tweak this controller to the optimum settings

Fuggin Fuel Controller is the probably the simplest to use. It has LED's and a plus and a minus adjustment. It basically just increases or decreases the fuel.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
You're right! When I was researching and taking suggestions from the group, it was a difficult decision. Accutronix made a good point....Sometimes the aircleaner or other modifications can actually decrease performance! :(

I, of course, wanted something "Cool" looking and yet didn't hurt my already lagging performance. I think that is why I contacted L & M and let them set me up. My best guess was that a reputable company would know what works together better than I and they seem to be agressive on the Fury.

Ordered Feb 1 and still yet to ship .... But I am getting the new front fender and I think that is the holdup. :confused: My personal choice for the 'major upgrades' was the Viper 2 exhaust , L&M Spike Intake adapter (Accutronix is ok too), and a D&M Chrome Spike air cleaner. Because of changing the "intake" I also went with the Cobra FI2000R Fuel Controller.

This is my own personal choice as there is not a whole lot of DYNO information yet on the Fury w/ Mods out there. Predator's bike was a good gauge for me personally even though I went with the Cobra FC. Once snow is under a foot deep :( , I'll get the mods on and post all results. :)

Strong suggestion .... Spend the money on a Fuel Controller when you are doing these modifications together! I wouldn't take the chance of spending $Big Bucks$ on a bike that is in the shop for a new motor all Summer long! :eek: Fuggin has a great one and so does Cobra.

So many threads .... So little time!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Like they said with any performance mod it is wise to get a fuel controler.

Tony i was refering to the fact that there are literally hundreds of options for intakes once you get the adapter and of the variety not too much has been done to narrow down what selections are optimum for this engine. wasnt refering to the fuel controler aspect since they even recommend it with exhaust swap too

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Like they said with any performance mod it is wise to get a fuel controler.

Tony i was refering to the fact that there are literally hundreds of options for intakes once you get the adapter and of the variety not too much has been done to narrow down what selections are optimum for this engine. wasnt refering to the fuel controler aspect since they even recommend it with exhaust swap too
That's what I thought was meant also. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well PD you ask a question around here and you get a response.
First, welcome and I hope you are enjoying your new bike.

I have been around here for a little while reading over what everyone has written about this subject. It can be overwhelming at times, but just take your time and make call some of the companies and see what they have to say. I have changed out my exhaust to the Morton Inferno's and am running the Fuggin FC. I resently purchased the L&M adapter (should be here today) along with a spike intake off of Ebay. The best advise I can give is to do your research and try out what you like. The bike can only change so much without reprograming the computer... but why go so fast that others can not enjoy what you are putting together?

Painter and Tony both have good points. I have had no problems as of yet with what I have done. I may have the highest mileage on the Fury as of yet with over 11K miles, she is still going strong. You have found a great place to learn what is good to go with and what not to. One thing to say is to be patient with the fabricators as they have alot of ideas, but they are also trying to make it the safest possible changes without damaging our bikes.

Enjoy your ride whenever you can and will see you around here from time to time. Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That's what I thought was meant also. :)
Nahh i was refering to the Open element (bak and spike)- looks cool but cuts down a little on rain ridabilty

Other full covers- like tony's S&S

and the hypercharger type covers

then from each of the 3 brackets of intakes you have different MFG's and variations in styles and filter elements.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am new to the forum and have just purchased a silver fury...... I love it. I have put on new braided cables from low and mean. XL shooter grips and pegs, tribal seat and spoiler with the led lights. I am looking to change the air intake. I am going to order the low and mean spike adapter and was wondering what the best options I would have for replacing the stock air intake. I am new to the motorcycle world and need all the help I can get.

Anyone have any advise to help???????

Thanks....

PDBear154
the guy that dyno'd my bike today told me that changing the air breather wont really make the bike any faster, it is what it is... if i wanted to change it for looks fine, but thats it... said he has dyno'd pleny bike before and after new air and only gain 1 to 2 h.p. thats it.... but it sounds like its faster because you can hear it sucking air.... and that be careful of chance of sucking water in them... said to be honest to just stick with the stock air box! here's the guy that did mine link... Cycle Werkz | About
he one the top bike mechanic's in the usa, builds race bikes...
just thought i throw that out there to chew on! got me thinking!
peace :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
My 2 cents worth. From what I understand, you can gain as much as 10% with an aftermarket air cleaner. And (Just my opinion) the stock air cleaner looks like a Teardrop Box on Steriods! :eek:

With some of the dyno results already posted, I think that some significant power can be had with exhaust / intake / Fuel controller mods when combined.

Well, I'm getting the change anyhow. As I alway say: If it makes it meaner, louder, badasser or makes me look younger -- it's worth every penny! ;)

There are many more on this Forum with expertise that I wish I had and most of those guys have added mods as well. I kinda think that 'stock' is not why I bought the Fury. I guess time will tell as we won't be snowed in and instead be out tearing up the highways! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts