Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We see alot of you guys are doing the "Tony Mod" although this is a very easy way to lower the look of your bike. We wanted to make something clear, as we have had some questions about the air ride system, (that we've been working on for almost a year) and this Mod where you cut the frame. The combination of the "mod" and our air ride will not work. If you do combine the two together the tire will hit the frame and cause damage, and will be dangerous. The plus side to the air ride and not doing this mod, is that you'll be able lower your bike and have more suspension travel then if you do this mod. The down fall to the air ride is it's still in development and will stay there in till it's perfect, safe, and functional. Somethings are easier said then done, but for those that wait, their Honda Fury's will come out lower and meaner than the rest. Right now our air ride will sit the bike 3/4" off the ground, with the Tony mod, you will never have this option.
PLEASE don't take this as we are bashing this mod. Honestly cost effective mods like the "Tony Mod" are great for the consumers, and the better the bike looks the more the bike will sell, which will bring more aftermarket products for all, even from us!
Thank you guys for your support, we are big supporters of this forum and those diehard Fury guys, like Tony.
Ride safe!
LM

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Will it work with the L&M lowerering spring, or do you have to use your stock spring and the Air shock in combination? Guessing another 2 or 3 months out on this project as well?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We see alot of you guys are doing the "Tony Mod" although this is a very easy way to lower the look of your bike. We wanted to make something clear, as we have had some questions about the air ride system, (that we've been working on for almost a year) and this Mod where you cut the frame. The combination of the "mod" and our air ride will not work. If you do combine the two together the tire will hit the frame and cause damage, and will be dangerous. The plus side to the air ride and not doing this mod, is that you'll be able lower your bike and have more suspension travel then if you do this mod. The down fall to the air ride is it's still in development and will stay there in till it's perfect, safe, and functional. Somethings are easier said then done, but for those that wait, their Honda Fury's will come out lower and meaner than the rest. Right now our air ride will sit the bike 3/4" off the ground, with the Tony mod, you will never have this option.
PLEASE don't take this as we are bashing this mod. Honestly cost effective mods like the "Tony Mod" are great for the consumers, and the better the bike looks the more the bike will sell, which will bring more aftermarket products for all, even from us!
Thank you guys for your support, we are big supporters of this forum and those diehard Fury guys, like Tony.
Ride safe!
LM
I dont see how doing both would cause the tire to hit the frame and cause damage. Can't you control how much air is in and out of the suspension? If you have both, don't go all the way down? And how is it dangerous? Going 0psi isn't dangerous? Correct me if i'm wrong, but no one rides like that. The air ride is at the lowest settings when parked, and is lifted back up when in motion. It'd be up to the user on how low they could go.

Personally, I think the stock fender set up is horrid. The fender should follow the line of the wheel. The Fury's fender, well...doesn't at all. And as shown by your 0psi picture, no matter how low the bike gets, the lines will never match the wheel and there's the 3 inch extension past the back of the wheel. The Tony mod fixes all that, for free.

I understand advertisement and all to get more business, but why try and convince people to not do their own thing when your air ride isn't even out?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont see how doing both would cause the tire to hit the frame and cause damage. Can't you control how much air is in and out of the suspension? If you have both, don't go all the way down? And how is it dangerous? Going 0psi isn't dangerous? Correct me if i'm wrong, but no one rides like that. The air ride is at the lowest settings when parked, and is lifted back up when in motion. It'd be up to the user on how low they could go.

Personally, I think the stock fender set up is horrid. The fender should follow the line of the wheel. The Fury's fender, well...doesn't at all. And as shown by your 0psi picture, no matter how low the bike gets, the lines will never match the wheel and there's the 3 inch extension past the back of the wheel. The Tony mod fixes all that, for free.

I understand advertisement and all to get more business, but why try and convince people to not do their own thing when your air ride isn't even out?
In more detail to the issues with the combined Tony Mod and our Honda Fury Air Ride. We have to be careful being a manufacture, what we build and how we build it. If we designed an air ride that bottomed out on the frame and not on the shock, then we would be at risk if for some reason you lost air pressure. Let's say you did combine the two (Tony Mod and our Air ride) and for some reason you lost air pressure during riding. The tire would lock to the frame and could cause a blow out, resulting in an accident or worse. If this happened with the stock un-modified bike you could still ride it to a safe stop and address the issue. We have had excellent success and have never come across this issue, but if the user improperly installs our product, this could cause this to happen. This is a fact in any vehicle with air ride.
Please in no way are we trying to save sales, this kit will sell it's self. As we said before the Tony Mod is great and worth doing, if that is your direction. We are just stating some facts that customers have asked over the phone. The forum helps all understand what's works and what doesn't. This is all we are stating.
Yes your right our Honda Fury rear Air Ride is not out, but our lowered Spring is and not one has returned it saying it's not a good product.
Remember we are hear for you guys, the more products we make the more you buy, the more products we make.
LM

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
In more detail to the issues with the combined Tony Mod and our Honda Fury Air Ride. We have to be careful being a manufacture, what we build and how we build it. If we designed an air ride that bottomed out on the frame and not on the shock, then we would be at risk if for some reason you lost air pressure. Let's say you did combine the two (Tony Mod and our Air ride) and for some reason you lost air pressure during riding. The tire would lock to the frame and could cause a blow out, resulting in an accident or worse. If this happened with the stock un-modified bike you could still ride it to a safe stop and address the issue. We have had excellent success and have never come across this issue, but if the user improperly installs our product, this could cause this to happen. This is a fact in any vehicle with air ride.
Please in no way are we trying to save sales, this kit will sell it's self. As we said before the Tony Mod is great and worth doing, if that is your direction. We are just stating some facts that customers have asked over the phone. The forum helps all understand what's works and what doesn't. This is all we are stating.
Yes your right our Honda Fury rear Air Ride is not out, but our lowered Spring is and not one has returned it saying it's not a good product.
Remember we are hear for you guys, the more products we make the more you buy, the more products we make.
LM

Thanks for the info!... and... sooo, http://www.furyforums.com/forum/45486-post3.html

So you can see it more clearly... :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it work with the L&M lowerering spring, or do you have to use your stock spring and the Air shock in combination? Guessing another 2 or 3 months out on this project as well?
Our Honda Fury Air ride shock will replace the stock shock. We hope to have this before the end of the summer, but every time we get close another variable causes a delay. Right now we are working on some mounting issues. The performance of the shock seems very good with a wide range of settings.
We also are negotiating prices, but however it come out you guys will get the best price possible in the beginning. We will do this for all of our products, now what other vendor offers a Forum discount every time a new product comes out???
Thanks for your support!
LM

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I dont see how doing both would cause the tire to hit the frame and cause damage. Can't you control how much air is in and out of the suspension? If you have both, don't go all the way down? And how is it dangerous? Going 0psi isn't dangerous? Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one rides like that. The air ride is at the lowest settings when parked, and is lifted back up when in motion. It'd be up to the user on how low they could go.

When doing the Tony Mod you lose 3/4"- 1" travel at the the top of the tire no way around that if you do the Tony Mod. From earlier threads about the L&M Air ride System, with 0 psi you could still move the bike without the tire hitting. you wouldn't ride this way but the bike will Still roll.

Every Mod we do may effect a New mod a vendor is developing for us this is one of those mods.

I think the Tony Mod helps with looks of the stock fender but doesn't fix it.
What we need is a new fender for the stock frame?

L&M wheres that new fender you have been talking about?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
My take !! The Tony Mod gives you a different look ! but the L&M spring kit lowers the bike giving you a look and lowrider ride, the air kit will be sic so you just have to decide what you want........:confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
L&M wheres that new fender you have been talking about?
We the Honda Fury rear fender finished, but waiting to release it with photos of painted parts. Also we have a couple of different features that will be options, so I hope it all comes together this week. Paint has been very hard for us lately, I'm sorry but painters never work fast or cheap. You get it when they are done.

LM

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The 'air' is the spring contained in a telescoping rubber 'bag' and it replaces either steel coil ;). The shock remains hydraulic.
Ah, okay... thanks for the "info" Gar... much appreciated! My take on what L&M is saying though is that the "shock" will be replaced, not the "spring" though?... Maybe I'm over thinking this as I just got out of my C++ class....

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
My take !! The Tony Mod gives you a different look ! but the L&M spring kit lowers the bike giving you a look and lowrider ride, the air kit will be sic so you just have to decide what you want........:confused:
OK here my 2 cents.... I scrap my pegs.... I have scraped my pipe... aside from in a parking lot at bike night why would I want to get the frame lower to the ground???

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I know a politicians thoughts but I guess I'm missing something here! Not sure why anyone would want to both modifications anyways. I must be stupid or maybe I'm just missing something here but if you have achieved the desired look in the rear that this bike desperately needed what other reason to pursue it further. I think it would be common sense to do one modification or the other. How low does your ass have to drag before your satisfied? The air ride looks to be like a very good option choice for many when its ready but to me this is a No Brainer and just plain common sense and common sense to me would be determined by the end result and the cost of the road I traveled to get me there. I would prefer to have the end results achieved with just a slight cosmetic adjustment to the the bike at no cost using the suspension the bike was designed for. For this reason I went went the Tonys tail and could't be happier with the end results. Just my thoughts!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
OK here my 2 cents.... I scrap my pegs.... I have scraped my pipe... aside from in a parking lot at bike night why would I want to get the frame lower to the ground???
That's exactly what I was trying to say. No one in their right mind would ride at 0psi. Is that even possible?

I don't think anyone has bottomed out on the frame due to the Tony Mod. There's still over 4 inches of clearance on my bike and I'm almost 3 inches lower in the back. Air ride allows the bike to be raised back up to stock height, correct? If the rider was stupid and chose to ride with it down like that, I'd understand it. But if the rider was smart about it, I think it could work.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Coming from the sport tuner scene, i have my resolutions about using air ride on anything other then a Peterbilt! Unless your ride is strickly show and not go .. air ride looks great. I have seen too many times the air bag blowing .. seals leaking .. and body damage if you drop the car/bike wrong. For a 60K$ custom bike .. sure. For a daily driver/rider .. it aint worth the headache and tow bill should things go wrong and your not in your driveway!

Yall bought the Fury and not a HD for the lack of tooling on the bike in order to ride it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
using air ride on anything other then a Peterbilt!

I've been behind the wheel when that happened,VERY loud and instant loss of air pressure.Luckily there's 3 other bags to hold you up,but still sucks.They can and will pop,just something to keep in mind.I've been around truck air-bags for 13 years,one thing I can say is eventually they all start leaking.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are all right, you do take your chances with air ride, but when your talking about trucks to motorcycles they are not apples to apples. Trucks carry huge loads and go 100,000 plus miles. Motorcycles are less abused and travel less overall. There's lot's of systems out that work flawlessly, we are not re-inventing the wheel with our Honda Fury air ride. The biggest issue is space and mounting. Right now we have been experimenting with a bagless setup, with an external resi. Air Ride is not for everyone, but for those that want to lower and raise there bike on the fly it's the way to go.
To answer some question this will be a direct replacement bolt in kit. No cutting or welding to make this work. I have personally ridden the bike at 0 psi and it is possible, but your turning very wide, there's no leaning the bike over.

Again that you guys for all you support, not trying to stir the pot, but just another thread to discuss options for the Fury.

Ride safe!
LM

·
Premium Member
13,703 Posts
You guys are all right, you do take your chances with air ride, but when your talking about trucks to motorcycles they are not apples to apples. Trucks carry huge loads and go 100,000 plus miles. Motorcycles are less abused and travel less overall. There's lot's of systems out that work flawlessly, we are not re-inventing the wheel with our Honda Fury air ride. The biggest issue is space and mounting. Right now we have been experimenting with a bagless setup, with an external resi. Air Ride is not for everyone, but for those that want to lower and raise there bike on the fly it's the way to go.
To answer some question this will be a direct replacement bolt in kit. No cutting or welding to make this work. I have personally ridden the bike at 0 psi and it is possible, but your turning very wide, there's no leaning the bike over.

Again that you guys for all you support, not trying to stir the pot, but just another thread to discuss options for the Fury.

Ride safe!
LM
just let me know when.i have the lowering spring but i dont want to cut my frame.back to,do you want it now,or do you want it right?

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Ride safe!
LM
this pic is hard to believe. I am not bashing you SELLING another Idea to get low. slammed? yes. parked, but not riding. how much wheel travel in this pic while riding?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts