Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for any of you that have done your 600 mile valve adjustment/check yourselves. The book says i should have a few different markings on the crank but i only had one dash. I know how to find TDC but was trying to do this by the book.

Oh and yeah i know i'm a little behind on getting this done. Just can't stay off the thing!

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Not that its a big deal but something to consider should you have a problem in the future before the factory warranty expires. I think you might have an issue since you have done your own valve adjustments and can't provide documentation from a certified Honda dealer doing the 600 mile check up and valve adjustment and might void any trpe warranty work.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Not that its a big deal but something to consider should you have a problem in the future before the factory warranty expires. I think you might have an issue since you have done your own valve adjustments and can't provide documentation from a certified Honda dealer doing the 600 mile check up and valve adjustment and might void any trpe warranty work.
No, Dave, you only have to stipulate (and document; keep notes) that the service was carried-out to factory specifications as set forth in your owners manual and then you're good to go.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
:eek: I guess i should have read the owners manual.

What do the dealers charge to do this sort of thing.
The cost of the check up will depend on where you go. I paid $325 for the 600 mile check up which I thought was expensive but it was the common cost in my area. Others on the forum have paid as little as $150 for the same service while others have paid anything and everything in between. Your really at the mercy of the dealership so you should investigate it a little and try to find one you think you can trust to do what they say they are going to do. I'm still not confident that my valves were ever adjusted and that I didn't just receive one expensive oil change. The service work you receive is only as good as the people or the dealership doing the work. I'm sure their are many reputable dealers out there but there may be as many in the business who just play the game.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
......... but there may be as many in the business who just play the game.
Dave; you're right, unfortunately. If you have the skills to do the service/s yourself, you'll save a bunch of bucks and have the satisfaction of knowing that the job is being done to YOUR personal standards. And trust me, the Fury requires very little maintenance and is probably the simplest machine I've ever worked on. Give it a shot, you'll probably surprise yoirself.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
yes, there is only one mark. you have to use it for TDC for both cylinders. the book tells you exactly how.
Bullshit! There should be marks for each cylinder, front and rear.

I think CLUELESS posted this originally; I couldn't find his original post, but here it was:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206315

Excellent presentation!

If you use the SAME mark/s for both cylinders, you'll screw it up!

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bullshit! There are marks for each cylinder, front and rear.

I think CLUELESS posted this originally; I couldn't find his original post, but here it was:

1300 Valve Adjustment - VTXOA

Excellent presentation!

Cheers
hahahaha! i knew i'd wake somebody up :D page 4-10 of the honda manual :) it show's them BOTH clearly...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahahaha! i knew i'd wake somebody up :D page 4-10 of the honda manual :) it show's them BOTH clearly...
Yeah the book is very clear bu my crank only has one "dash". If I remember correctly it says your crank should have 2 dashes. One marked ft and one rt. I'll have to scan the pics and post them onhere to clarify. I've been working on jets for over 10 years and am pretty familiar with using tech data.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1300 Valve Adjustment - VTXOA

Excellent presentation!

Cheers
Thanks for the link. You'll see in the pic pointing out the index marks are marked with different positions. Mine doesn't have those. Just one dash. Trust me I rotated it a few times to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
This really begs the question, why wouldn't this be covered under the warranty Honda provides? It's within one year and Honda basically tells you to do this otherwise it would void your warranty????

Wow that's confusing... "Do this so you don't void the warranty, but a it's not covered under warranty to perform the service"

I'm giving a big "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" on the this one and will complain to my dealer about this so they'll either lower the cost or do it for free...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
........Mine doesn't have those. Just one dash. Trust me I rotated it a few times to be sure.
OK, all is not lost, J.A.T.O. If you can find TDC on each cylinder, on the compression stroke (finger in the spark-plug hole feeling for pressure, then small wire in the spark-plug hole to determine top of stroke), you're there!

Then there's the old time-honored, sure-fire method when you have neither marks nor manual:
Put your finger on a tappet and rotate the crank 'til you feel the tappet go all the way down (valve all the way open). Now, rotate the crank 360º and the valve will be all the way closed and the follower will be in the middle of the heel of the cam (the loosest spot). Check/set your clearance while in this position and you're good to go. Works every time, even if you don't know what engine you're working on!

By the way, check your clearances BEFORE you loosen the tappets; on the 1300, the clearances apparently drift very little and will probably be within tolerance (plus-or-minus 0.001"). I've checked mine twice now, and they've been within tolerance both times, requiring no adjustment.

Hope all this helps.

PS: Get 'em to give you a new rotor, under warranty; you SHOULD have two sets of marks!

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.