Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has looked into getting the plastic parts done as aluminum rather than plastic. I'm thinking of running a small batch of casts of the side covers etc. being done in aluminum. This would be a high-quality investment casting probably done with a ceramic slip mold process. If I do go through with it I was wondering how many people would be interested in getting in on that run. These would be direct replacement parts for the factory but in polish-able aluminum that could be painted or powder coated. I've got access to a company that does small run castings that are mil-spec capable. They will even do machining on the cast pieces for certain finishes but my goal now would be to keep the price down. The plastic pieces have bugged me quite a bit but I do realize it was stated that was to keep the weight down, which would also keep the cost down for Honda mfg.

If anyone knows of anyone that has already done something along these lines please let me know as well. There's not much reason to recreate the wheel here.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Are we talking like $100-$200 range or more. Sometimes I dont like the plastic and wish it were metal, but then again I think of other stuff to spend money on bike or gun related. If the price is reasonable I may be in.

What about the head covers?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure the casting price will drop depending on the runs but I'm just judging interest at the moment. Head covers definitely are in the list.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to run the numbers soon and post those for estimated costs. I'll probably do it on my own regardless of others so once that's done on the first run the molds will be available either way.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
I've always considered replacing the front and rear fender with sheetmetal... maybe even forming some side covers if I get the time. It would give me an excuse to buy an english wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I had looked into machining the mount plugs and doing the side covers in sheet stainless steel, I would think that the cast aluminum would be heavy and aluminum will corrode over time. stainless sheet will not and you would have to polish both.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Count me in. I love my bike but I hate the plastic. I brought this up on the forum about a year ago asking our current vendors to look into it but nothing came of it. I agree with Steve...stainless steel will last much longer.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
A year ago I talked to Marty at Irate Customs about doing the side covers in metal/aluminum HE STATED ITS TO HARD and not worth it...

Funny how a owner will bite the bullet for the Fury and try to make something!

I would be interested so PM me when you get things MORE refined! Actual numbers and finish..I would want polished or Brushed alumin:D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Let me know what you find out on price. I am VERY interested

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I looked all over the place and also asked about head, and side covers on the forum last summer. They are not out there! You would be the first.
SO they would be able to polish to a shine like chrome? Or close?
And what do you think the weight difference would be?
I'm in depending on cost and as long as you make head and side covers. I think it would be easy to see the difference if you just did one or the other. JMO.
Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
May want to post this on the Stateline, Saber, Interstate forums as well, assuming they are the same dimensions. You could end up with quite a few people.
I would be interested.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Interested if whatever you come up with can be chromed I know a lot of people don't like the side covers Chromed but I like them that way, just don't like the blue'ish tint to pastic chrome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts