Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Was considering getting a shadow phantom now debating getting a Fury. I absolutely love it but am I being unrealistic? I live in NYC and will be using the bike to get back and forth to work weather permitting. It's a 23 mile ride mainly straight but it does go through some city streets for a few miles. The dealer I spoke with said the Fury is a bike that is meant to drive straight. After watching some videos most say it handles really well. Do you guys think it's a mistake to use this as a bike to commute? How do you all like the handing. How often do you scrape your pegs...is that an issue. Honestly i'm not looking to speed around corners( those days are over).
Thank you, epbadger

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hello all,
Was considering getting a shadow phantom now debating getting a Fury. I absolutely love it but am I being unrealistic? I live in NYC and will be using the bike to get back and forth to work weather permitting. It's a 23 mile ride mainly straight but it does go through some city streets for a few miles. The dealer I spoke with said the Fury is a bike that is meant to drive straight. After watching some videos most say it handles really well. Do you guys think it's a mistake to use this as a bike to commute? How do you all like the handing. How often do you scrape your pegs...is that an issue. Honestly i'm not looking to speed around corners( those days are over).
Thank you, epbadger
That dealer obviously doesn't like to sell bikes.
It's meant to do whatever the user tells it to do.
It handles great in all situations, low speed, high speed, corners, you name it. 90% of it is the rider.
Get one, get comfortable on it and have fun. Scraping pegs? Sure, only if you want to. Wouldn't call it an "issue".

·
Administrator
3,842 Posts
@muddypaws3 has a thread where many of the same questions were just answered.

In NYC's crowded streets you're looking at the difference between a really long, long bike that doesn't like potholes vs. a much lighter and more nimble Shadow. You might want to ask yourself, "Where am I going to park a Fury (and not have it stolen)?"

The Fury has a manual (not hydraulic) clutch, so you might change out a part to make it a lighter pull (some do, I did not). Many hate the seat (I love it).

There are things you can do to a Fury that make it want to go straight and argue with you if you try to turn it, but stock it is fine for NYC, though a very looooong bike.

---
Maybe either bike is fine for you, only you can make that choice. Personally, I'd want a used CB500, fuel-injected so I don't have to tune the carbs or do other related maintenance, less chance of it getting stolen, easier to drive and park, yadda yadda. But I'm not you and you didn't ask that question. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@muddypaws3 has a thread where many of the same questions were just answered.

In NYC's crowded streets you're looking at the difference between a really long, long bike that doesn't like potholes vs. a much lighter and more nimble Shadow. You might want to ask yourself, "Where am I going to park a Fury (and not have it stolen)?"

The Fury has a manual (not hydraulic) clutch, so you might change out a part to make it a lighter pull (some do, I did not). Many hate the seat (I love it).

There are things you can do to a Fury that make it want to go straight and argue with you if you try to turn it, but stock it is fine for NYC, though a very looooong bike.

---
Maybe either bike is fine for you, only you can make that choice. Personally, I'd want a used CB500, fuel-injected so I don't have to tune the carbs or do other related maintenance, less chance of it getting stolen, easier to drive and park, yadda yadda. But I'm not you and you didn't ask that question. ;)
Thanks for the reply and good points!
Fortunately for me parking is not an issue at home or work. I have a garage at my house and a place to park it inside at work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That dealer obviously doesn't like to sell bikes.
It's meant to do whatever the user tells it to do.
It handles great in all situations, low speed, high speed, corners, you name it. 90% of it is the rider.
Get one, get comfortable on it and have fun. Scraping pegs? Sure, only if you want to. Wouldn't call it an "issue".
Thanks! What i thought and wanted to hear...I thought the same thing at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
Weather permitting I use mine to commute every day. 20 miles in, a lot of interstate, 15 miles home, city streets. Handles great, rides great.

·
6,033 Posts
Pre Covid I used to ride my bike to work everyday, other than when it rained. In Sydney we don't have freeways and I found the Fury handles just fine in city streets. As others have mentioned the clutch may get a bit heavy after a while in stop and go traffic but I find it is quite OK stock, even commuting in the constant traffic jam that is Sydney.

·
Registered
Rock Stock 2019 ABS
345 Posts
I use mine almost entirely for my short commute and running errands, in city driving conditions, although not the big city. Had it 3 years after commuting on my shadow for 12, and am not interested in going back. I think the shadow was the best bike for me to have first, but I'm totally happy with my fury.

IMO YMMV

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Like this guy said, it's longer than a "normal" bike. If you're used to bikes that don't have that stretched out rake, there is a bit of a learning curve when making turns, at least there was for me. It's longer and lower to the ground, so yeah, at first I scraped the pegs and took wider turns than I wanted, but I learned in just a few miles that it can't be ridden like most normal bikes. I think it rides pretty nice if you're not trying to burn through turns and curves.

·
Registered
2011 Fury
799 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
I’ll say this, my old man has a fury, he lives in Staten Island, NYC. He rides to work, play, wherever on that bike (probably best gift I ever gave him) the bike was also bought brand new in Brooklyn. If you have any real experience riding in NYC traffic you should be just fine, it corners well enough at slow speeds to get you around the city. Granted it’s not really meant for it but it does it’s job and looks fucking fabulous doing it! Go for it

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually prefer the clutch of Fury to my other bikes. Tbh I ride HD more often but fury does GREAT in traffic. Lower to ground than anything I've ever sat on and comfortable ride. I've scraped pegs and frequently take it out in rain (Seattle you have to)
First week it felt long in turns, now I switch between bikes and never crosses my mind.
I avoid potholes more on this bike than others and i don't think it will go more than 90mph (shouldn't be an issue, but depending on who you ride with.. maybe)
As a commuter bike this bike is spot on. That's where I ride my Fury most. If you like it get it. What you are worried about isn't really an issue after a week imo.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
She'll get up over 90 if you need her too. Out in the Seattle area though, no way. People are morons out here and the roads are self destructive. I stay away from the freeways if I can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
My Fury doesn't like turns, I need 2 acres to turn it around, it is a great cruiser but like the other person said the Fury doesn't deal with potholes very well either. It's a very heavy bike, don't even think about backing it up without 2 or 3 friends but I still ride mine but have to think about where and how to park so I have a straight shot at pulling off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
I love my Fury and it is quite nice once you're used to it. Speeds higher then 75-80 sucks (front tire wobble) and it is very long so turning it in tight spaces is a pain in the ass. I actually put the Tsukayu faring and bags on mine so I can used it more for work. My travel is mostly highway though. I live near Boston and if I was going there I'd probably get something more nimble to avoid idiots and also with a bigger gas tank (the fury is only 3.4gals and gets somewhere around 140miles to the tank) so I don't have to fill up in the city where it's more expensive if I can help it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
Also do yourself a favor and get a loud af horn (I went with motohorn) to get someones attentions should the need arise and also upgrade the headlight 2010+ Honda VT1300 Daymaker LED Headlight | slk-customs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello all,
Thank you, epbadger
I ride to and from work at least 3 days a week. It's a great way to wake up in the morning and wind down on the way home from work.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I love my Fury and it is quite nice once you're used to it. Speeds higher then 75-80 sucks (front tire wobble) and it is very long so turning it in tight spaces is a pain in the ass. I actually put the Tsukayu faring and bags on mine so I can used it more for work. My travel is mostly highway though. I live near Boston and if I was going there I'd probably get something more nimble to avoid idiots and also with a bigger gas tank (the fury is only 3.4gals and gets somewhere around 140miles to the tank) so I don't have to fill up in the city where it's more expensive if I can help it.
You might want to get that front wheel checked. There should be no wobble at any speeds.

Gas tank mod | Honda Fury Forums:

·
Registered
47 Posts
i ride mine ( 2022 ) as a daily driver , in fact i dont own a car or truck . at i have 2 goldwings, a yamaha bolt and a suzuki gsxr ..at first i thought the fury didnt turn well, or handle bigger bumps or do so well on the highway , but by the time i got about 500 miles on the clock i had all that sorted. shes just fine at highways speeds of 75 mph, she can turn as good as my bolt and other than a pothole that a street bike should not be ran over anyhow, she does just fine..
i live in phoenix az and the roads here are as bad as ive ever seen ( ive been to 37 states and 4 countries ) and the car drivers here are the worst ( seems like they are out to hit you most times )
no i dont know what your experience level is , but the fury can and will handle the streets of nyc just as well it does the streets of phx ..you just gotta let the fury teach you how to ride her

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been commuting on my Fury for 5 years and a Shadow for the 10 years before that. My Goldwing was too big for city commuting. City streets to freeway to city streets twice a day. Backing out of the garage, down the driveway onto the street, no problem. Rev limiter kicks in at 97mph but I cruise at 80 daily. Very smooth and good control at all times. I once had a front tire vibration. Turns out the front tire was separated inside and ready to blow out. Better get it checked. Yes, at speeds below 5mph it seems to turn wide but since it idles at 10mph its no problem. Try making a 5mph turn on a GW. As for the gas tank, I don't mind a 5 minute gas break every 100 miles or so. I've been riding for 57 years, had many bikes and the Fury is the one I always dreamed about even before it came out. The bike you love is a very personal thing. My bike isn't perfect for everyone but it is gor me.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts