Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Was considering getting a shadow phantom now debating getting a Fury. I absolutely love it but am I being unrealistic? I live in NYC and will be using the bike to get back and forth to work weather permitting. It's a 23 mile ride mainly straight but it does go through some city streets for a few miles. The dealer I spoke with said the Fury is a bike that is meant to drive straight. After watching some videos most say it handles really well. Do you guys think it's a mistake to use this as a bike to commute? How do you all like the handing. How often do you scrape your pegs...is that an issue. Honestly i'm not looking to speed around corners( those days are over).
Thank you, epbadger

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@muddypaws3 has a thread where many of the same questions were just answered.

In NYC's crowded streets you're looking at the difference between a really long, long bike that doesn't like potholes vs. a much lighter and more nimble Shadow. You might want to ask yourself, "Where am I going to park a Fury (and not have it stolen)?"

The Fury has a manual (not hydraulic) clutch, so you might change out a part to make it a lighter pull (some do, I did not). Many hate the seat (I love it).

There are things you can do to a Fury that make it want to go straight and argue with you if you try to turn it, but stock it is fine for NYC, though a very looooong bike.

---
Maybe either bike is fine for you, only you can make that choice. Personally, I'd want a used CB500, fuel-injected so I don't have to tune the carbs or do other related maintenance, less chance of it getting stolen, easier to drive and park, yadda yadda. But I'm not you and you didn't ask that question. ;)
Thanks for the reply and good points!
Fortunately for me parking is not an issue at home or work. I have a garage at my house and a place to park it inside at work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That dealer obviously doesn't like to sell bikes.
It's meant to do whatever the user tells it to do.
It handles great in all situations, low speed, high speed, corners, you name it. 90% of it is the rider.
Get one, get comfortable on it and have fun. Scraping pegs? Sure, only if you want to. Wouldn't call it an "issue".
Thanks! What i thought and wanted to hear...I thought the same thing at the dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Hi epbadger.
I will hope you were not expecting to come to a Fury forum full of hard core fury lovers to hear negative things about the fury, right? Ha, ha, ha...
I have to tell you that there is nothing wrong with what the dealer told you. With a longer fork it's a bit harder to turn but is doable. Practice, practice, practice. I slammed my fury 4" on the back and I could scrape the pegs as easy as I could do it with my Suzuki M109r stock. It's all on your driving style. Logically I have to recommend a Hyper naked bike for your commute and road conditions like for example the Yamaha Mt-10. Powerful, light, comfortable and nimble to drive plus is pretty. That is the need. However if you want to be seeing on an eye candy and sexy chopper the fury will do it. You do you and enjoy yourself. Any bike really will do. My only recommendation is always put extra lighting on the front and back. I replaced my fury front light with a 40.00 dollar LED from Amazon that belongs to a jeep a few years ago and my friends complained all the time about the brightness. The honda shim spoiler with the LED lights it's awesome as well if you can afford it. They can see you coming from far away. The turn signals with some high output led lights are a great mod as well. Have fun with what ever you get. After 40 years of riding and 16 bikes it's all about enjoying yourself and I really being leaving the dream for sure. Regarding the shaking at front I never experienced it but every bike I purchased first thing I do when I get home I remove the wheels weight and install some Dyna beads. I had got 30k miles out of my Goldwing tires and my Fury has 22k and the tires still in good shape and vibration free. Best of luck! View attachment 243001
Thank you! I totally get it's a Fury form so maybe subconsciously I just wanted to hear yea man this is the best bike for your commute. But I get it, only looking for the eye candy for myself and always dreamed of having a chopper. I blame Snoopy and Woodstock riding through the desert on that one.
My commute is not that bad and mainly straight I think I have a good idea of what I am getting into. Really not looking to be splitting lanes and zipping around definitely will be riding chill.I want a bike I love, that rides nice and have decided the Fury is it. Hopefully in the very near future I can introduce myself as a fury owner, got a few I'm looking at this week!
And sorry for my ignorance but could you explain the difference and benefits of dyna beads.
Really appreciate your and all replies thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Right on, Dude. The Dyna beads are little tiny ceramic balls that using the centrifugal force of the tire as it spins kind of auto balance the wheel. You have to look at the chart and put them thru the air valve in to the tire by weight. Here in Central Florida you do a lot of flat riding but I put tons of miles and my tires last about 50% longer than what they use to with no coupling and they wear even. When Ibtravel to the Carolinas or Tennessee and I do the twisties, I like the way they perform. There are all kind of opinions on those but they have work for me perfectly for years. Tire Balancing
Check it out.
Nice! Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts