Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I took my new rims and rotors in to the local dealer to have them switched for the stock.
The back disk gets so hot you will burn your hand if you touch it.
I took the bike back for the 600 mile service, mine was closer to 850, :D and specifically asked to make sure nothing was wrong with the rear disk. When I picked it up I asked the service manager about the disk -- he walked into the back and returns after supposedly talking with a mechanic who stated that it's normal for a disk to be hot and since it's an aftermarket disk it will be hotter then a stock disk... ?? So yeah, the mechanic looked at it and it's fine... I am left with the feeling that I am told Bull Sh&% just to appease my concerns... :rolleyes:
Your thoughts would be appreciated!
T

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
I would talk with the Wheel manufacturer, was it RC Components?
Still it should NOT be that hot, it's only applied when stopping then cooled while riding.. sounds to me as if there is brake pressure is being applied constantly. What about new forward control's?
Did you add an aftermarket forward control with the rear disc master cylinder?

My 2 cents..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dude, I have stock everything and I have noticed my back rotor get really hot too. I was putting my fork lock on back and had to switch to the front cause of burning my fingers. The front is never very hot at all.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would talk with the Wheel manufacturer, was it RC Components?
Still it should NOT be that hot, it's only applied when stopping then cooled while riding.. sounds to me as if there is brake pressure is being applied constantly. What about new forward control's?
Did you add an aftermarket forward control with the rear disc master cylinder?

My 2 cents..
Greetings Tony,
I have Accutronix forward controls.
My other thought -- the Mayham's are just below that area, could they be heating it up? The swing arm is rather warm but I am clueless...
T

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
...Still it should NOT be that hot, it's only applied when stopping then cooled while riding.. sounds to me as if there is brake pressure is being applied constantly....
I'm with Tony. I don't think the chrome will dissapate the heat as quickly BUT as we have already established you, Tasmin, are not a trailing brake kind of guy so your front which probably is doing 80% of your braking should be hotter than the rear esp if chromed as well. Time to put pressure on the dealer and not your brake ;).

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Well, you're not supposed to touch hot brake rotors :p

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you're not supposed to touch hot brake rotors :p
Right up there with licking a steel flag pole in the middle of winter? :D

True, but if you are not using said brakes why would they be so hot you would burn yourself... ?
T

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you checked the brake pads? maybe they could be dragging on the rotor when they shouldn't be. Just a thought.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Right up there with licking a steel flag pole in the middle of winter? :D

True, but if you are not using said brakes why would they be so hot you would burn yourself... ?
T
Hey...Give me a call when your beside your bike. I have a few things for you to look at that could be an issue.

Troy
623-516-9600 Ext 23

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was surprised one day last week to find how hot my front rotor was; I thought about it and had been in mostly town traffic for about 90 minutes; done a lotta stopping and starting; those rotors are stopping a LOTTA weight and generating lotsa friction to stop that heavy bike; since we don't have dual rotors they're gonna get pretty hot I'd think ... bascially doing twice the work?

Just thinkin' out loud ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts