Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came up recently in another post, so I'll throw this out there. I was considering the Kosman rim widening, but after paying$ 1000-$ 1500 for a custom rim, and another$ 1000 to have it widened, ground, and rechromed, it didn't seem that affordable. I contacted most of the custom wheel manufacturers to see if anyone made a rear rim in the 18x7 size. The universal answer was that no one produces a wheel blank in that size and that it wasn't possible. The only one that showed any interest was RC Components. I had several emails with their director of marketing and their R&D department. They stated that they would conduct some market research into making the new size. They also stated that the initial start up cost to produce a new wheel size is extremely high, possibly up to $ 100, 000. They explained that the dies, tooling, and machinery required would be around $ 35, 000 and the blank manufacturer would require then to order a MINIMUM of 100 blanks. My thought is this. If we can show them that there is sufficient interest, maybe they will seriously check into having the blanks produced. The cost would not be cheap, but it would be less than the Kosman widening, and definitely cheaper than the Sumo-x. And it would take some time for development and production, but that would give us some time to save up the money... Lol. I think that if we flood them with emails of interest, we could get this done! Let's band together Fury Nation and we can all get wider rear tires and custom wheels! If you do email them, post it on here so we can keep count for ourselves as well.

·
Premium Member
7,617 Posts
Just ordered my chrome wheels and rotors from Classic Components. If and when some manufacturer decides to create custom bolt on wheels I would gladly sell these new wheels for something custom and wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
759 Posts
Interest, of course. In the reviews, when the Fury came out, the biggest complaint was the narrow rear tire.

I think it would be more marketable if they started with a mimic wheel. I would get one if it was affordable.

·
Premium Member
7,617 Posts
Ok, guys, I just got off the phone with an RC Components rep suggesting that they join the forum and monitor this thread as proof of the demand for an 18x7 wheel, even a stock mimic.

What I need is for anyone interested to email [email protected] and tell him you'd be interested in either in this product. And PLEASE tell them you are from furyforum.com.

My email sent to the above address:

I recently have spoken with a representative of your company expressing that there is an untapped market for custom wheels for the Honda Fury.

I belong to www.furyforms.com. I am Night Fury. We believe that if a company offered a rear wheel in either the stock 18x6.25" or preferably in 18x7" sizes they would be in great demand, especially the later size as it allows us to tuck a 240mm tire safely. As of now the alternative is either have our rims chromed (as I am doing), send them to a guy in California to have the wheel widened to 7", or install a Sumo X kit.

Your representative expressed an upcoming R&D meeting. I welcomed your company to please join our web site and see for yourselves the demand we, the Fury Nation, have for a wider and custom wheel selection. We also offer the idea that if a mimic stock rear wheel in 18x7 were offered it would be a great test to see what the demand would be.

We already realize the great expense that's required of any company to be the pioneer of new products to a small but steady growing market. We ask you to take our requests into consideration.

Sincerely,
Scott Courville, aka Night Fury
Fury Forum Lifetime Member
Member of the Fury Nation

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am planning on the Sumo kit this winter, but if RC is going to produce a 18x7 wheel, I will definitely go that direction. I would be looking for one of there custom wheels not a mimic however. Which means I'm gonna need a front wheel from them as well. I really hope this happens, they have some really sick looking wheels to pick from!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It would be nice but I really doubt there are enough members on this forum to make RC go for it. I also doubt they make their own blanks so they would have to get whoever they get them from to re tool to make a 7" wheel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I originally wanted to get RC Component wheels but after finding out that I would have to get a narrower rim, I burried that idea in the ground and had my stock wheels chromed.

I am still looking for a wider wheel and right now I can't decide between Kosman and Sumo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
People, whether RC Components take my invite and start reading these threads or not we need to get emails to [email protected] and let him know that we want this to happen in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle
Email sent

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how did you come to that figure for a Kosman? I just over looked my own thread from April this year and for the widened wheel, grinding, chrome and shipping was $1165? New tire mounted and new bearings installed it all came under $1500?

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/11384-kosman-here.html

Well... By my figuring, if it cost you $1500, and you deduct the $ 300 for the stock rim, your total was roughly $ 1200 to Kosman. I don't want to widen a stock rim. The custom rim I want to widen is $ 1200 to begin with, but it only comes in 18x5.5. I can't justify in my mind spending $ 1200 on a beautiful chrome rim and then spending another $ 1200 to add an inch and a half to it and having it chromed again. If we can get the wheel manufacturers, or the blank manufacturers, to produce the right size from the get go, we can take that $ 1200 we'd be paying Kosman and buy ourselves a matching front wheel, which they already produce in the proper size. Hope I explained that properly and it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And guys, this wouldn't be emails committing to purchase the wheel. Just saying that you'd be INTERESTED in it, IF they ever produced it. Even if it would be something you might consider in years to come. If they don't know we want it, they'll never make it!

·
Registered
813 Posts
a very crazy IDEA

why dont we get 50 names of people willing to spend lets say APROX. $450 on just the wheel blank. then i will contact the wheel blank manufacturer and explain to them how other group buys on ths forum have gone.

you can then take these blanks which RC and SMT and other wheel designers use on their lathes.

i am sure there will be a fair amount going to RC components and SMT etc for the to ship directly to the compaines for your final designs to be created and shipped to you in their final form.

also i believe Yamaha uses this same size 18x6.25 on 2 of their models

if anyone can get a friend on another Yamaha forum to help out with the buying power numbers?

i myself would be going with a custom set from SMT and i am sure they would love to do a group buy on wheel sets.

so lets start a list of interested names:

#1 Joefury

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
why dont we get 50 names of people willing to spend lets say APROX. $450 on just the wheel blank. then i will contact the wheel blank manufacturer and explain to them how other group buys on ths forum have gone.

you can then take these blanks which RC and SMT and other wheel designers use on their lathes.

i am sure there will be a fair amount going to RC components and SMT etc for the to ship directly to the compaines for your final designs to be created and shipped to you in their final form.

also i believe Yamaha uses this same size 18x6.25 on 2 of their models

if anyone can get a friend on another Yamaha forum to help out with the buying power numbers?

i myself would be going with a custom set from SMT and i am sure they would love to do a group buy on wheel sets.

so lets start a list of interested names:

#1 Joefury
Whatever works! I personally would rather have 18x7 so I could run a 240 tire.

·
Registered
813 Posts
18x7

18x7 would be my choice too. but thats the fury width limit. i dont know what Yamaha's limit is? but lets start with 50 names then we can decide what size is more feasable for producing a rim choice?

i hate to say it but 18x6.25 makes more sense right now due to the available numbers that would like custom wheels at factory sizes and that utilize the factory tires?

but again lets get names together who are interested in a group buy so we can negotiate with the blank manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts