Honda Fury Forums: banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,617 Posts
The gist of the reply (and I thanked him for taking the time to converse with me) is we, the forum, can best act by sending these emails regularly to show support for this new product. If we show there is a market they will investigate creating the product.

So once again, please email [email protected] and let him know you're in the Fury Nation and you'd like to see custom wheels for the Fury in either stock size or 18x7.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,617 Posts
I've been conversing him a bit. This part of an email I thought I'd share. Your emails are important. Again I ask for y'all to send him one so we might someday get something going.

"Creating a new wheel
size is a large undertaking and could take up to a year to come to market
under the best of circumstances. It was not on our radar until a request
came in about a month ago
and I would not fore see our existing work flow
or new product development being changed for a project that involves a large
investment of time, money and personnel. We can keep our fingers crossed
and I will get back with you soon."

·
Premium Member
7,617 Posts
I want to thank all you guys that took the time to send in emails. Here is the letter I got from David Plumb of RC Components this morning:

Hello Scott,

I am sorry to say that due to the numerous ongoing projects we are currently undertaking, we will not be able to pursue any new wheel sizes for 2013. It was fantastic to see how your forum rallied to present your unique need. I wish we were able to react to this and all of our customer requests but that is just not possible. We will keep close watch of any other applications that are requested that would move the needle more on the 18x7 size and will certainly inform you if that happens. We wish you and all the other Fury riders safe travels.

Thank you,

David

David Plumb
Director of Sales and Marketing
373 Mitch McConnell Way
Bowling Green, KY 42101
www.rccomponents.com
270-842-6000 Ext #127

·
Registered
759 Posts
Then Sumo X it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm with you ^^^^ on that!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I will be looking for a good used rear wheel to send to Kosman. So let me know if you get rid of yours.
I'll hook you up. I plan on the sumo kit in the late winter months. If you still need it, I'll be looking to sell!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
rim

good due diligence brother...good research....im gonna wait five more years...$1000 for a wheel is rediculous.....gotta be a cheaper way....we are a brotherhood of many and should have alot more influence if we all stay together...

·
Registered
21 Posts
It came up recently in another post, so I'll throw this out there. I was considering the Kosman rim widening, but after paying$ 1000-$ 1500 for a custom rim, and another$ 1000 to have it widened, ground, and rechromed, it didn't seem that affordable. I contacted most of the custom wheel manufacturers to see if anyone made a rear rim in the 18x7 size. The universal answer was that no one produces a wheel blank in that size and that it wasn't possible. The only one that showed any interest was RC Components. I had several emails with their director of marketing and their R&D department. They stated that they would conduct some market research into making the new size. They also stated that the initial start up cost to produce a new wheel size is extremely high, possibly up to $ 100, 000. They explained that the dies, tooling, and machinery required would be around $ 35, 000 and the blank manufacturer would require then to order a MINIMUM of 100 blanks. My thought is this. If we can show them that there is sufficient interest, maybe they will seriously check into having the blanks produced. The cost would not be cheap, but it would be less than the Kosman widening, and definitely cheaper than the Sumo-x. And it would take some time for development and production, but that would give us some time to save up the money... Lol. I think that if we flood them with emails of interest, we could get this done! Let's band together Fury Nation and we can all get wider rear tires and custom wheels! If you do email them, post it on here so we can keep count for ourselves as well.
I just asked RC Component’s the same question about making me a custom 18x7 wheel to math my front. I’ll inform you what Chad replies.

·
Administrator
3,967 Posts
I think this ship already sailed. I'd have bought an RC Components front & rear, but they didn't make it so I have Sumo-X, as do other owners. Choppers aren't popular any more, and the Sumo-X is well entrenched.

Strangely though, the Fury is still selling well, unchanged, and Honda will hopefully make the Fury for another 10+ years (probably without even fixing the globby welds), and we're still a strong group of owners 12 years after the bike's intro.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts