Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode to work the other day and was hitting lots of bumps and ruts....about 35 miles of it. a block outta work and I hear a noise...look back and the plate and cover are hanging by the plate light wire. Gets worse...then it breaks. Pick up plate and duct tape it till I get home. The middle of the plate bracket had cracked in half between the bracket bars. Fabbed some metal and got it back together. Just waiting on a new Radiantz light cover. Anybody else have interesting stories of losing their plates?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rode to work the other day and was hitting lots of bumps and ruts....about 35 miles of it. a block outta work and I hear a noise...look back and the plate and cover are hanging by the plate light wire. Gets worse...then it breaks. Pick up plate and duct tape it till I get home. The middle of the plate bracket had cracked in half between the bracket bars. Fabbed some metal and got it back together. Just waiting on a new Radiantz light cover. Anybody else have interesting stories of losing their plates?
mine was loose all the time on the old beaver tail. never have a problem now with it on the side.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
had the raw stealth LED break and toss my plate back a little, noticed it pulled over and rigged it with zipties.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
last year i made my own side bracket trying to save some cash, big mistake. I was at my union meeting and noticed that my tag was gone! I dont know how long i was riding around with out it ... hours ... days?LOL. Took off work that Monday to get a new tag. Get down to DMV, wait in line and get to the counter, only to find out that i have to report the first tag lost/stolen with the local police and bring in the report before i can get a new tag. Over to the police station to fill out the paper work ... where the cop looks at me like im trying to get one over on Nassua County. An hour later and i have my paper work. Back to DMV and wait again on line. What i thought would take an hour or so ended up taking all day. But at least i was able to get my hands on the old blue and white plate and not the new mustard yellow and blue plate.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bolts didnt come loose.....the metal bracket holding the bolt broke. sheared in half. I wish it was just a locktite problem. Spent 2 hours and another $40 fixing the problem. oh.....waiting on the new Radiantz cover and im a night rider.....10pm-6am shift. The Troopers would love to get me! Btw....im a cop and they still would write me in the great state of Virginia.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
This thread got me thinking, so I went out to the garage and checked mine. It's still tight. I have a side mount btw. Good post Ace.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lost mine over a really rough set of train tracks, I saw my plate flying in my mirror. Had m glasses in my front pocket, I lost those also.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It was a hot summer day last year and I was cruising through the mountains with some friends and just as we were leaving a town for lunch I noticed one of my friends had fallen behind. We waited up for her and when she pulled up she handed me my license plate! I have the raw led tail light and aluminum undermount license bracket and the bolt holes cracked and the plate broke off. In my jeans and tshirt that day cause it was nice and hot I just stuffed the plate down the back of my pants with half of it sticking out and rode the rest of the way home.....it was a bit uncomfortable though cause one of the bolts was jabbing into my left cheek all the way home! hahaha :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Yep, hit a mother of a pothole and lost it.....locktite not issue....the cheap, flimsy plastic tag holder is the issue...I'd used washers that were just wider than the slots.....found my plate and got some 1/4 inch fender washers and ground the edges (top and bottom) flat so it would fit in the oem tag holder frame.....won't lose it now!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
last year i made my own side bracket trying to save some cash, big mistake. I was at my union meeting and noticed that my tag was gone! I dont know how long i was riding around with out it ... hours ... days?LOL. Took off work that Monday to get a new tag. Get down to DMV, wait in line and get to the counter, only to find out that i have to report the first tag lost/stolen with the local police and bring in the report before i can get a new tag. Over to the police station to fill out the paper work ... where the cop looks at me like im trying to get one over on Nassua County. An hour later and i have my paper work. Back to DMV and wait again on line. What i thought would take an hour or so ended up taking all day. But at least i was able to get my hands on the old blue and white plate and not the new mustard yellow and blue plate.
Had that happen to me about 15 years ago had to get the police report first...

Live and learn:cool: And the DMV in IL is fast so ONLY half day for me... Put a spring under each bolt you never loose a PLATE as we say again! Old dirt bike enduro trick

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
blue loktite guys.
460, I had blue locktite on...the nut didn't back off, the whole tag, tightened bolt and all came out of the slot. The fury oem tag holder is a flimsy, bendable bracket and the impact of the pothole jarred the holder so much that it gave and the washer overlap wasn't enough to keep it in.....everything came out. Bolts were tight, washers weren't large enough to compensate for the tag holder movement. I got some fender washers and ground two edges flat to fit in the holder....they are wide enough to stay put.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts