Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the S&S aircleaner mounted on the bike late last night; installation was pretty straightforward, except that when all was said and done I've got a very slight amount of wobble from front to back. The new aircleaner is rock solid on the vertical; there's a heavy powdercoated bracket that installs from the aircleaner backplate and is screwed down onto the lower cylinder mount with the stock 6mm bolt so it won't budge off the vertical - but if I press gently on the back, or narrow end of the teardrop it'll move inward (toward the bike) between an 8th and quarter inch or so, which looks like it could put it in contact with the rear faux-chrome spark plug cover.

I'm havin' a hard time gettin' thru to S&S tech support this morning, so I thought I'd post here and just see if anyone else has run into this? Any info appreciated ... :confused:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Got the S&S aircleaner mounted on the bike late last night; installation was pretty straightforward, except that when all was said and done I've got a very slight amount of wobble from front to back. The new aircleaner is rock solid on the vertical; there's a heavy powdercoated bracket that installs from the aircleaner backplate and is screwed down onto the lower cylinder mount with the stock 6mm bolt so it won't budge off the vertical - but if I press gently on the back, or narrow end of the teardrop it'll move inward (toward the bike) between an 8th and quarter inch or so, which looks like it could put it in contact with the rear faux-chrome spark plug cover.

I'm havin' a hard time gettin' thru to S&S tech support this morning, so I thought I'd post here and just see if anyone else has run into this? Any info appreciated ... :confused:
Stonewheel,
I had it installed for about a week and a half with no problems. Had the slight movement but it didn't touch SPC.
T

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for posting guys; appreciate the feedback. I was afraid the pressure from inside left knee might press the narrow end of the air cleaner cover back into the spark plug cover and score things, but took the bike out for awhile and everything appears copacetic... copece ... fine.

Got ahold of S&S tech support later in the day, he said basically the same thing; supposed to be a little play in them. The two teardrops I had previously on an old sportster and a rebuilt FLH were both carburator mounted, and rock solid, so I kept thinking I musta missed something on this installation but I din't.

Looks great on the bike; smaller size than the stock aircleaner lets the motor stand out better imho. Seems like adding the aircleaner leaned out the mixture a little bit from having the pipes only before, so think I'm gonna try bumping the low and midrange pots 1 click each tomorrow on the fi2000, if there's a break on thunderstorming here in Dayton and see what it does. Or maybe bump all 3 pots 1 click; haven't really played with it yet so guess I'll have to trial-and-error it.

Couple pics with teardrop 'case anyone wants to see it:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts