Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom wants to learn to ride but is afraid she won't be able to get the hang of the clutch soI been searching around for one. I know Honda has their new bike Automatic but that's out of here reach.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with any of these aftermarket ones? Good Bad? Get a Scooter.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I pose two questions only you can answer. Is she capable of learning, and does she have experience driving a stick shift car. If so, I would start her on a cheap, light weight weight bike, and practice on some grassy areas at low speed, till she builds some confidence. If that works, then she will tell you when she is ready. Also, if she has trouble with clutch handle pressure you can maybe get Clutch Relief at Glens Garage. Otherwise a Scoot.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is she capable I say yes. She had a surgery done years ago and her hand would not be able to handle the clutch that's the biggest reason for this. I keep tellin here get a scooter also.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Honda makes some nice ones, other metrics, so do the Italians. Stay away from the Chinese ones, they are cheap, cant get parts, and the cos disappear on you along with your warranty. You might also contact Johnny Pag, and see if he has some ideas.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Is she capable I say yes. She had a surgery done years ago and her hand would not be able to handle the clutch that's the biggest reason for this. I keep tellin here get a scooter also.
Look through some of the disabilty products there are a ton of things (I dont know if any would help her) but lots of interesting products like push button shifting, i forget how the system works exactly though. a couple sites i just found : http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html Only reason I know of that is from a guy i worked with that rode a training wheeled harley that was paralized waste down so couldnt shift and had an actuator shift the bike off a push button setup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Automatic Tranny

My wife is disabled and never learned to ride a bicycle. Just got her a 300cc trike scooter from China. Nice looking piece of equip. best buy seems to be www.countyimports. com They have a good selection of these trikes in 150 and 300 cc models. Automatic Tranny and Reverse included and no charge for shipping anywhere in country from California.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
My wife is disabled and never learned to ride a bicycle. Just got her a 300cc trike scooter from China. Nice looking piece of equip. best buy seems to be www.countyimports. com They have a good selection of these trikes in 150 and 300 cc models. Automatic Tranny and Reverse included and no charge for shipping anywhere in country from California.
Depending on your wife's desire to ride she can always get a bigger bike to. The guy i used to work with had I think a Road king. It had reverse and an actuator based shifter. His bike was set up with what looked like training wheels but each arm that came off for the wheels had a mini platform so he could fold his wheelchair and roll it onto the platform then fasten a strap to hold it in place for while he was riding. His front and rear brakes i think were linked too.

While I was looking up some of the Clutch alternatives for the OP I found those links the one actually contains a couple groups for disabled riders, so it is probably worth it for People like your wife and the OP to check them out for pointers on different ways for them to adapt and be able to possibly get the most out of riding

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings. See link below. Ridley has been building automatic transmission motorcycles for some time. They use an air-cooled V-twin 750cc engine which drives through a CVT transmission similar to a scooter tranny.

We can't them here in California...I suspect because of our Air Board...but they're available in the other 50 states.

Be advised, however...they're not cheap.

Bob

Ridley : America's Automatic Motorcycle : Home

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Dude sign her up for the Motorcycle Safety course. They will teach her how to ride and shift and they will do it on their bikes, and when she's done she'll have her license. Just gotta pay $10 for the permit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
American Made Auto Clutch auto clutches for Harleys, Metrics, Dirt Bikes and ATV This what I found and she might do the airshifter also (push button).

I thought Ridley stopped making bikes 2 years ago?

Its NOT the matter of learning it, its the matter of surgery she had that would not allow her to constantly pull the clutch in. In like traffic situations. I had her sit on mine and play with the clutch and front brake in about the matter of maybe 3 minutes her hand was in pain.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
American Made Auto Clutch auto clutches for Harleys, Metrics, Dirt Bikes and ATV This what I found and she might do the airshifter also (push button).

Its NOT the matter of learning it, its the matter of surgery she had that would not allow her to constantly pull the clutch in. In like traffic situations. I had her sit on mine and play with the clutch and front brake in about the matter of maybe 3 minutes her hand was in pain.
Figure out how much relief the clutch relief's have for different bikes and she may be able to just get that. If her right hand is good she could check out the K-levers and get one that works clutch and front brake.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at the relief levers they seem to be about %50 easier. And a whole lot cheaper. I think she just feels better knowing that with an AutoClutch she won't have to worry about it at all.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
EFM Auto Clutch makes automatic clutches for Harley, Metric and a host of other makes. Runs about $900. I think I would talk to them as they are great people.

Their clutches are guaranteed for life and are 'Top Notch' for the price! :D

I believe they would even convert the Fury!!!

EFM Auto Clutch

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did talk to Gary from EFM this is what he said incase anyone was wondering or for future reference.

I can make them for most bikes, they need to have electric start, a removable clutch cover helps, if it dont, then there must not be any oil filter or anything else in the cover since we space it out slightly and kick starters wont work then.

Let me know.

Thank you for the interest in EFM Auto Clutch.

Garry Buzzelli
EFM Auto Clutch Inc.
3101 State Route 14
Rootstown, Oh 44272
330 947 1700
330 947 1708 FA

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

no.ridley is still rocking and rolling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"We can't them here in California...I suspect because of our Air Board...but they're available in the other 50 states."

Geeminy Pete...I can't believe I said that....I sound like a certain president who believes there are 57 states....

Going back to my nap now before I fall down and hurt myself...

Bob

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
From what I read, Ridley is still in business, however they are taking a break in production until economy improves. However used Ridleys are out there. And stay away from Chinese scoots, the companies disappear all the time and no one will work on them because they can,t get parts. It's one of those, you just bought a headache and your out of aspirin.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
There was another guy from Florida maybe making these setups. We had a thread a while back and I found a you tube video on it...Ill search my posts:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts