Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help fellow Fury Members,
Picked up a dang road screw yesterday straight into my rear tire tread.
I've been told here in Florida that motorcycle dealer service and independent shops cannot repair tires as their insurance won't cover them if they plug a tire?
I was also told its unsafe to ride a almost new tire with a plug in it.
I've repaired car tires all my life and never had an issue, my question is, is this true or are they trying to sell me an expensive new rear tire, and I do mean expensive! Never realized how big that Fury rear tire is until I've seen pics of new ones.
Anybody riding on a repaired plugged tire and any problems in doing so?
If I end up having to replace tire, any recommendations on a decent, not too expensive tire? I have always used Shinko and never had an issue with them.
Thanks guys and gals. Bill

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Help fellow Fury Members,
Picked up a dang road screw yesterday straight into my rear tire tread.
I've been told here in Florida that motorcycle dealer service and independent shops cannot repair tires as their insurance won't cover them if they plug a tire?
I was also told its unsafe to ride a almost new tire with a plug in it.
I've repaired car tires all my life and never had an issue, my question is, is this true or are they trying to sell me an expensive new rear tire, and I do mean expensive! Never realized how big that Fury rear tire is until I've seen pics of new ones.
Anybody riding on a repaired plugged tire and any problems in doing so?
If I end up having to replace tire, any recommendations on a decent, not too expensive tire? I have always used Shinko and never had an issue with them.
Thanks guys and gals. Bill
Most larger shops will not fix OR install a tire that has been damaged. It's usually a policy because they don't want to be responsible, which is understandable. You will either have to install yourself or bring it to someone independent (which is what I did)

I've been running on my repaired tire for 4 years now, not a single issue or loss of pressure. That being said, do it right!

Here's what I did:

1. Pull the tire and ream the hole
  2. Install the plug of your choice
  3. Cut it off on in inside of the tire as close to the parent material as possible
  4. Rough up the inside area with sandpaper or similar, using isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant/wet sand
  5. Clean area thoroughly with the isopropyl
  6. Try to find a vulcanizing patch that uses the rubber cement as the reactor (not the self vulcanizing ones). Follow the directions of the patch instructions over the back of where you plugged on the inside.
  7. Let it fully cure. Re-install (independent shop) and ride on

·
Registered
2011 Fury
240 Posts
Although it’s the rear and a sudden loss of pressure shouldn’t cause u to wreck unless you’re doing 100mph, I would find a smaller bike shop or a mom&pop tire shop and have them put a patch in it. Better than a plug if u ask me...

·
Registered
374 Posts
A few years ago I put on two new tires. Only one week on them, I picked up a screw in the rear tire. I was told the same thing by everyone. Not one shop would plug it. As I was leaving one of the local shops, one of the techs followed me out the door. He said, while I can't do them for the shop, for myself, I ride on a plugged tire with no issues. So I picked up a plug kit and did it myself. All went smooth, and I'm over three years (maybe 4?) in, and still all good. Probably nearing the end of tread life on this set. With all but about ten miles riding on the plugged tire.

I was surprised how simple the plug process was. And I don't remember exactly how much the kit was, but do recall being shocked at how cheap it was at the time. I've since used the plug gun on my cars also and saved a bunch of trips to tire shops.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
My local Honda went on the tyre manufacturers instructions for plugging motorcycle tyres. Which is no more than two plugs installed from the inside of the tyre. I had two pugs in my old factory Dunlop without a problem. My son picked up a screw in the rear tyre of his Kawasaki Vulcan and I plugged it with a Dynaplug and it's still going strong. My best friend plugged his rear tyre with the old rope style plugs (which you're not supposed to use on motorcycle tyres) and he rode it until the tyre wore out.

I guess the point is that if the puncture is in the repairable area of the tyre, you plug it correctly and don't ride faster than about 120KPH you should be OK. That said if I was doing a long ride with my Mrs, interstate and fully loaded I would opt for a new tyre because a tyre failure a hundred kilometres or more from anywhere will be a major pain in the butt. Plus if I remember correctly a plugged tyre not only has a lower speed rating but a lower load rating and I could easily exceed one or both of those factors fully loaded on the highway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A few years ago I put on two new tires. Only one week on them, I picked up a screw in the rear tire. I was told the same thing by everyone. Not one shop would plug it. As I was leaving one of the local shops, one of the techs followed me out the door. He said, while I can't do them for the shop, for myself, I ride on a plugged tire with no issues. So I picked up a plug kit and did it myself. All went smooth, and I'm over three years (maybe 4?) in, and still all good. Probably nearing the end of tread life on this set. With all but about ten miles riding on the plugged tire.

I was surprised how simple the plug process was. And I don't remember exactly how much the kit was, but do recall being shocked at how cheap it was at the time. I've since used the plug gun on my cars also and saved a bunch of trips to tire shops.
Me too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am not mechanically inclined as most of you so I decided to research and ordered a new tire from Amazon Prime, $139.99 and it will be here around June1st. I decided I didn't want to worry that I would be thinking about the plugged and repaired tire every time I rode somewhere. I chose the safety factor over the money factor.
Thanks again gang.. Bill

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am not mechanically inclined as most of you so I decided to research and ordered a new tire from Amazon Prime, $139.99 and it will be here around June1st. I decided I didn't want to worry that I would be thinking about the plugged and repaired tire every time I rode somewhere. I chose the safety factor over the money factor.
Thanks again gang.. Bill
Sound advice

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks again gang.. Bill
Keep us posted on the installation experience.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I rode with 3 plugs in my rear tire for 7 1/2 months with absolutely no problems at all both in city and highway speeds of up to 70 mph and even opening it up to over a hundred miles an hr .. totally forgot it was even there until I changed the tire recently and saw all the dyna beads stuck to the plugs on the inside of the tire...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep us posted on the installation experience.
Hey Everybody,
So, I had a local bike shop do the installation and was charged around $50.00 to remove "screwed" tire, mount and balance the new tire. I kept the old tire, put a patch on the inside and have kept that as a spare. The peace of mind of not thinking about the plugged tire as I ride, is so worth the cost of the new tire. As a bonus, the feel of riding on a new tire is like night and day.
As always thanks gang for your help and input, this really is a great forum! Keep riding friends!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gotta watch the sticky weights they use to balance the tire and wheel can fly off mine did I was bummed so instead of taking the wheel back off the bike I decided to just go ahead and give dyna beads another try and WOW . I dont remember it being so noticeably different as it is this time using them .. they 100% absolutly work ... big difference From the computer balance the shop did upon installation of my new tires ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts