Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2010 Fury.
Mods include:

1) Gladiator spike air intake
2) FSD murdered out exhaust.
3) Cobra FI 2000 power pro Tuner

I love the sound of my bike and i love the looks. I am getting a loud backfire/pop when i decelerate and its pretty darn loud. I actually enjoy the sound of it HOWEVER i was told it is not good that it is running to "Lean" and could eventually do damage??? I am no expert so i resort to all of you for any answers or suggestions at all. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Auto tune Cobra. just plug and play no presets. Thought about getting a different one that can be tuned manually...

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I have a similar setup. Do the pair valves. It's cheap and easy to do. I still get an occasional pop on hard decal at high RPM's, but not during normal riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys! ]

Also the paint is starting to crack and chip off my FSD pipes towards the end where it bends. I didnt know if this is common due to the way the pipe bends or if my bike is running to hot???

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your engine is actually backfiring (loud detonating) when decelerating, you are probably running too lean i.e., a slow burning mixture of too much air relative to the fuel volume injected. This can cause your engine to run too hot and do damage to the piston tops over time. An adjustment for a bit richer mixture with your Cobra FI Pro Tuner should be able to solve that situation. Better to run a little rich overall than too lean.

You may need to run higher octane fuel as well e.g., 93 octane Shell or ExxonMobil. Regular 87 octane gas ignites slower than such high-test fuels and burns dirtier with much less detergent cleaning additives.

Excess fuel getting past the exhaust valves in the header pipes, or light gas-popping on deceleration, stops by simply pulling in the clutch and rolling off the throttle during deceleration and gearing down. That's normal. Gas-popping while revving the engine is not OK and needs adjustment. Stock exhaust pipes are heavier by EPA requirements and made to mask normal deceleration gas-popping sounds. All bikes do this to some degree.

However, with after-market performance pipes (e.g., Cobra, V&H) such gas-popping sounds may be more frequent with less back pressure exhaust flow. Such popping sounds are also amplified along with the louder overall exhaust note. Finally, keep in mind that the smaller pilot jets, not the mains, are on duty during deceleration and make air less available for complete combustion.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I have the Auto tune Cobra. just plug and play no presets. Thought about getting a different one that can be tuned manually...
The Power Pro is an excellent fuel controller and it won't let the bike run lean. As others have said block off the pair valves and most of your back firing & popping will go away.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jets ?

If your engine is actually backfiring (loud detonating) when decelerating, you are probably running too lean i.e., a slow burning mixture of too much air relative to the fuel volume injected. This can cause your engine to run too hot and do damage to the piston tops over time. An adjustment for a bit richer mixture with your Cobra FI Pro Tuner should be able to solve that situation. Better to run a little rich overall than too lean.

You may need to run higher octane fuel as well e.g., 93 octane Shell or ExxonMobil. Regular 87 octane gas ignites slower than such high-test fuels and burns dirtier with much less detergent cleaning additives.

Excess fuel getting past the exhaust valves in the header pipes, or light gas-popping on deceleration, stops by simply pulling in the clutch and rolling off the throttle during deceleration and gearing down. That's normal. Gas-popping while revving the engine is not OK and needs adjustment. Stock exhaust pipes are heavier by EPA requirements and made to mask normal deceleration gas-popping sounds. All bikes do this to some degree.

However, with after-market performance pipes (e.g., Cobra, V&H) such gas-popping sounds may be more frequent with less back pressure exhaust flow. Such popping sounds are also amplified along with the louder overall exhaust note. Finally, keep in mind that the smaller pilot jets, not the mains, are on duty during deceleration and make air less available for complete combustion.
I was "all ears" read the whole post and then I read the last line.....:crying:..

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Excellent post, but I completely disagree with higher octane being required. As octane is a rating of resistance to pre-ignition changing it will have little to no difference of an engines performance while not under load.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! ]

Also the paint is starting to crack and chip off my FSD pipes towards the end where it bends. I didnt know if this is common due to the way the pipe bends or if my bike is running to hot???
I've noticed some dis-coloring in the same area on my FSD's. Nothing that isn't expected really from use.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
If you installed the FSDs yourself you might have an exhaust leak. Also you can plug the pair valve with a bolt or something else to see if it even helps before you order the block off plates.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got a 2010 Fury.
Mods include:

I love the sound of my bike and i love the looks. I am getting a loud backfire/pop when i decelerate and its pretty darn loud. I actually enjoy the sound of it HOWEVER i was told it is not good that it is running to "Lean" and could eventually do damage??? I am no expert so i resort to all of you for any answers or suggestions at all. I would appreciate any feedback on this.
I wouldn't over complicate it to start. The very first thing i would check is the exhaust flange nuts. if they are loose and or the gaskets are bad it will suck cold air on deceleration and cause the backfire. it is the least complicated and expensive thing to check. Check the flange nuts and use a long BBQ lighter to check for leaks around the header flange (see if it gets blown out) while the bike is running. Easy to do and if it's not the problem then you can work with the more complicated possibilities. My 2 cents :grin:

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I wouldn't over complicate it to start. The very first thing i would check is the exhaust flange nuts. if they are loose and or the gaskets are bad it will suck cold air on deceleration and cause the backfire. it is the least complicated and expensive thing to check. Check the flange nuts and use a long BBQ lighter to check for leaks around the header flange (see if it gets blown out) while the bike is running. Easy to do and if it's not the problem then you can work with the more complicated possibilities. My 2 cents :grin:
The two most common causes in the Fury deceleration popping are:

1. Leaking exhaust, gasket, or not fully tighten.
  2. Pair valve after replacing exhaust and ensuring no leaks.
1. A lot of peeps are unaware there are crush gaskets smashed into the exhaust ports from the factory pipes.
If your lucky you can get the new pipes to seat properly with the existing gaskets. These are a real pain to removed and replace if not.

Most found tightening the new exhaust a second time after riding after initial install will fix most leaks.
As mention using a BBQ lighter around the exhaust pipe ports is an easy test.

2. The pair valve is located under the tank and until it is removed or blocked off this will cause backfiring on deceleration every time with an after market air cleaner and exhaust.

We have been there, and done that. 2009

The pair valve was the fix after ensuring there were no exhaust leaks.
Search the forum here on the pair valve removal and where to get the block off plates.
Once done, you will never have decel popping again.:skellie:

T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jeszx here, I ordered my pair valve block off plates and will install as soon as I get, Popping not to bad but don't want to continue, thanks for advise guy's, Throw some good cobra tuner settings that work for ya'll , I installed the Fi 2000 with my cobra slip on's, no baffles in, And Love how it's going..New to Fury Nation...Ride On...

ADDED INFO 3/3 2020... I Changed my stock air intake and modified a bracket that allows me to put a Spectre performance Air Filter on and plugged the two lines that go to the pair valves, 90 % of the popping is gone, only ones pops at 80 mph and let off throttle completely she pops so I adjust the decel slower with no pops, see pic of bracket adapter..

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got a 2010 Fury.
Mods include:

i have my cobra FI 2000 set at 1.5 -2-3 and i have very little popping I have vance&hinse slip ons. had it set on 2-3-3 and it was popping almost all the time. I wil be doing the pair valve block offs. smokin trye garage STG sell them $36.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2010 Fury.
Mods include:

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BOUGHT THE COBRA BLACK PRO AND NO CHANGE WENT TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS AN WHEN I TOOK THE COVERS OFF I FOUND A LITTLE CRACK IN THE HOSE ON TOP OF THE ENGINE CHANGED IT AND PROBLEM WAS GONE......................JUST SAYING

1 - 19 of 19 Posts