Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced backfire on acceleration?
This is what happened to me this morning. I had been about 15mins into the ride, everything was normal and running fine. Then on a country road i put the throttle on and came up thru 4th gear still on it and into 5th heard a backfire then accelerating on there was no power and a lot of stuttering backfire under acceleration. I laid off the throttle and changed back down thru the gears to keep the revs up while i took a swift turn to get my butt back home. I managed to ride around 25 Kms back home but it was a struggle. Every time i put the throttle on the bike was bogging down and then it would start to speed up before the backfire would cut in. When i arrived home i revved the bike as hard as it would go and could see flames from the rear cylinder exhaust. Sounded like it was sitting on the limiter but far from it at much lower revs. Bike is a 2012 - 30000kms has Cobra Speedster exhaust, no fuel nanny, stock air filter. Any ideas, greatly appreciated.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sounds like the crank sensor has gone bad, or a bad connection. You may try resetting the IAC. Swapping out the spark plugs may be in order. I'm not positive, but I'm leaning towards the crank sensor. That's a good looking bike, what kind of pipes are on it?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
perhaps a sticky injector? Just thinking if there is fuel igniting in the pipe, then it's either not fully combusting in the chamber (maybe spark issue) or there's too much fuel....

Always a good idea to pull plugs, and inspect them...

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Interested to know where this goes in case it is something unique to the AU Fury version.

Just out of interest as you have after market pipes you would have removed the O2 sensors, did you load the circuit with an O2 sensor eliminator/ some resistors? What about the pair valves, did you block them off?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the crank sensor has gone bad, or a bad connection. You may try resetting the IAC. Swapping out the spark plugs may be in order. I'm not positive, but I'm leaning towards the crank sensor. That's a good looking bike, what kind of pipes are on it?
Yeah i thought about the IAC first off. Bike ran ok without loading up the throttle. As soon as the throttle position changed it began to misfire/ backfire. I took plugs out and inspected them when i got home. They all had a greyish deposit on the electrode so they didn't look fouled in anyway Been a long weekend here so all parts stores have been closed. I'm going to put new plugs in as a precaution.
Pipes are Cobra Speedster Longs without the slashdowns.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perhaps a sticky injector? Just thinking if there is fuel igniting in the pipe, then it's either not fully combusting in the chamber (maybe spark issue) or there's too much fuel....

Always a good idea to pull plugs, and inspect them...
Injectors fouling,Yeah that was my next go to. The bike idles without load as soon as you throttle on the engine just wont rev sounds like its on 1.5 cylinders....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interested to know where this goes in case it is something unique to the AU Fury version.

Just out of interest as you have after market pipes you would have removed the O2 sensors, did you load the circuit with an O2 sensor eliminator/ some resistors? What about the pair valves, did you block them off?
O2 eliminators installed when I fitted the pipes on. Ill have a look at the sensors, maybe might have come loose from the connection, water ingress?? don't know, i'll check it out tho' . Pipes have been on for around 5yrs and never had a problem, ran sweet as till the other day. I haven't done the pair valves as i didnt see it to be a problem. Only get pop on deceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts