Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the costs vs benefits of removing the baffles on the stock pipes as compared to just getting new pipes? I have a 2019 Fury.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can tell you now (from experience) don’t waste your time, blood, sweat or tears trying to drill out the baffles. Not worth it at all. Save your money go to SLK Customs site and buy you some nice pipes. I purchased the SLK Backlash series 2-2 and I love it. Add in the GUHL Motors reflash and you’ll love the Fury not that you already don’t love it because hey you bought it but you will fall in love every time you ride it. All of my buddies ride Harley’s besides a Yamaha here or there and they really dig my Fury. Turns heads and gets a lot of compliments every time I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. My Harley buddy said that I could remove the baffles, but wanted to make sure if it was worth it. I'll check that site out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just trying to save you the headache you have to get drill bits and long extensions and you can only drill and knock out the baffles. In the end the sound is a little better but you lose back pressure and on decel it sounds not so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
What are the costs vs benefits of removing the baffles on the stock pipes as compared to just getting new pipes? I have a 2019 Fury.
(see the threads on each topic--use Tools > Advanced Search)

Drilling is the least expensive, fast, and the sound is "improved." I didn't do this based on member's advice.

Cobra Slip-ons have the lowest bass note, are fast, and inexpensive. @Rope sent me his to avoid the drilling of stock pipes, I cleaned the bike and put micro-fiber towels over everything so nothing would get scratched, worked over a cardboard box so if anything dropped it would have a soft landing, and the sound was great. Some of the packing was then removed for a slightly louder sound--still quiet at idle and with a little throttle, loud with anything other than a soft wrist but never obnoxious. Great at 3AM and on long rides where too much sound wouldn't be good. Loud is "loud" but pretty consistent, once they get "loud" adding more fuel don't make them "louder."

Cobra Swept pipes are more expensive and the sound isn't as deep as Cobra slip-ons, but they're nice and "relatively quiet, but not really." Removing the baffles gives a pretty deep, mellow slightly-hollowish sound, and are always "loud." When you crack the throttle it's just below needing earplugs. At 3AM your neighbors will know you're idling about. @Señor Gar has a great video comparing Cobra to Screaming Eagle.

In my opinion, any shorter unbaffled pipe is obnoxiously loud at all times--some people love that. With a wide diameter pipe it's a good sound, I'd say necessitating earplugs. 50% throttle or more on the freeway is ear-shattering within 50' if the pipes are really short. Not saying this is "bad," just be ready for it.

·
Septuagenarian Rider
4,151 Posts
@Señor Gar has a great video comparing Cobra to Screaming Eagle.

In my opinion, any shorter pipe is obnoxiously loud at all times--some people love that. With a wide diameter pipe it's a good sound, I'd say necessitating earplugs. 50% throttle or more on the freeway is ear-shattering within 50' if the pipes are really short. Not saying this is "bad," just be ready for it.
I also found the stock Screamin' Eagles loud and obnoxious just the way guys with no baffles like it. The Screamin' Eagles have baffles but they are way loud so I modified a pair of 3½" Python Quiet Baffles to fit the 3" Screamin' Eagles . The problem is not the short pipe but the baffle design because now my "short pipe" is quieter than the Cobra Slip-Ons.

SE baffles

Python Baffle shortened

Python Baffles adapted to 3"

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought I would want straight pipes, but have the Cobra slip on pipes and love the sound a d performance, meaning, it had back pressure. If you ever tried without back pressure, you wouldn't like it. I love that it is quiet, to me when in the neighborhood, but just a little twist of the throttle and the Cobra comes alive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went ahead and purchased the Cobra 3" Slip-ons. They were affordable and still look great. I assume I wont NEED a fuel management system, correct?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts