Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired at the dealership yesterday about battery tenders and chargers. The service manager recommended the Optimate3 over the battery tender. Anybody have an opinion on this unit Pro or Con vs. a Battery Tender?

Part#: 31670-BMS-004

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ive only dealt with battery tender. The dealer by me had both and the guy said "dont buy it only cause it says honda. get the battery tender". The rest is history.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Richard on my screen I see a advertiser link for the Optimate 4, Got to support our sponsers!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
A buddy of mine did some research on this and the Schumacker 1.5 amp charger at Wal-Mart for about $20 is the way to go. It will do the job.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
whatever charger you get it should turn itself on and off.even a maintainer will run it dry if left on too long.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
i just use a battery tender that i bought from the dealership, like $30, has a light to let you know the status of the charge, blinks green for 80% or over and when it's completely charged it stays a constant green, has worked for me so far, as a matter of fact i charged my battery up today since i haven't ridden it in a couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I go with a gel battery next time the desulfating feature on the Opt3 would be obsolete. Haven’t made up my mind yet. Are most people going to a gel battery these days? Looks like it will save you about $30, and then there is more money to put towards a new charger.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
So if I go with a gel battery next time the desulfating feature on the Opt3 would be obsolete. Haven’t made up my mind yet. Are most people going to a gel battery these days? Looks like it will save you about $30, and then there is more money to put towards a new charger.
Gel, huh? Interesting--are there no cells as in the traditional lead battery?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts

• XTAZ14S Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery 1300CC 2009 to 2010 VT1300CXA FURY Honda Motorcycle

• 1300CC 2009 to 2010 VT1300CXA FURY Honda Motorcycle Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery XTAZ14S. Get Xtreme with a Permaseal AGM battery. Designed to withstand shock and vibration, Permaseal batteries are activated,fully charged and ready to go out of the box.
  • Item number: XTAZ14S
  • Weight: 9.0000 lbs
  • Voltage: 12V
  • CCA: 225
  • Primary Applications: Powersport
  • Replaces: 010244, 01244, 44217, BTZ14S, CYLA12ABSXTA, CYLZ14S, GTZ14S, IB16ALA2, M72Z14, TZ14S, WPZ14S, YTZ14S
  • Price: $89.99

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Do we folks in the warm climates need to worry about a battery tender/charger if we ride in December, January, February and March every now and again? :p

Sorry, I just had to rub that in.

Weather's great - Wish you were beer!
Don't you just hate a Smart Ass!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do we folks in the warm climates need to worry about a battery tender/charger if we ride in December, January, February and March every now and again? :p

Sorry, I just had to rub that in.

Weather's great - Wish you were beer!
Right there with ya,,,was pretty warm here today, I still keep mine on a trickle charger ever so often. Good for the battery:D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
If you have a good charger, leave it plugged in. but, hey, Mr. St Pete, it's even hotter down here--I don't need a trickle chrgr. since I ride my newly MFRd puppy to work 2-3 dry days per week.*

*Oops, caught myself bragging. sorry. It won't happen again 'til the next time.

·
Registered
87 Posts

• XTAZ14S Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery 1300CC 2009 to 2010 VT1300CXA FURY Honda Motorcycle

• 1300CC 2009 to 2010 VT1300CXA FURY Honda Motorcycle Xtreme Permaseal AGM Battery XTAZ14S. Get Xtreme with a Permaseal AGM battery. Designed to withstand shock and vibration, Permaseal batteries are activated,fully charged and ready to go out of the box.
  • Item number: XTAZ14S
  • Weight: 9.0000 lbs
  • Voltage: 12V
  • CCA: 225
  • Primary Applications: Powersport
  • Replaces: 010244, 01244, 44217, BTZ14S, CYLA12ABSXTA, CYLZ14S, GTZ14S, IB16ALA2, M72Z14, TZ14S, WPZ14S, YTZ14S
  • Price: $89.99
has anybody tried this battery it sounds like a good deal since dealer want a $170 for a replacement battery.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Little info on AGM type batteries.

AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse. We sell the Concorde (and Lifeline, made by Concorde) AGM batteries. These are also called "starved electrolyte", as the mat is about 95% saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that they will not leak acid even if broken.
AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:

Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.
Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.
The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.
AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.
AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.
Even with all the advantages listed above, there is still a place for the standard flooded deep cycle battery. AGM's will cost 2 to 3 times as much as flooded batteries of the same capacity. In many installations, where the batteries are set in an area where you don't have to worry about fumes or leakage, a standard or industrial deep cycle is a better economic choice. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Little info on AGM type batteries.

AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

...A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes. Not everyone needs these features.
It would seem like the price of the battery in the OP is cheap enough to warrant serious consideration. Does anyone have first-hand experience with AGMs to qualify whether traditional open-cell batteries are even worth the trouble VS Gel or AGM?
Do they last as long as traditional?
Do they have enough COLD START power?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since it seems like so many people are having trouble with their batteries, I was thinking more along the lines of a “smart” charger or something a little stronger. $25 is a heck of a deal though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts