Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long has everybody got out of their original battery? I'm coming up on 2 years with mine and i'm going on a 800 mile trip at the end of the month and am considering replacing it just to be safe. What do you guys and gals think?:D

· Premium Member
4,750 Posts
I'm also coming up on two years in September, and I have about 5k miles on the bike. I would say that if it was me and I wasn't having any issues out of the battery before I left then I would just roll with it, could always pick one up if you need to.

· Registered
146 Posts
If you are not having any issues with it right now, I wouldn't worry. I know it's not the same thing, but I still have my original battery in my Goldwing, It's an 04 with 56,000 miles on the clock and I'm taking off next week for a ride around Utah. I know the fury batteries don't seem to last as long, but if it turns over strong, I.m sure it will be fine.

· Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Original battery still after 2yrs 4 months and over 23,000 miles but it drags on most every attempt to start bike. I don't bother to reset clock anymore. I am going on same trip, and will buy a new battery before I leave. If yours is not showing signs of being weak I wouldn't worry, mine has been dragging all summer.

· Premium Member
4,146 Posts
2 1/2 yrs here also, 12,000 miles. and replaced it this weekend. would only start properly on a cold motor. Only one push start is all it took for me to replace it

· Registered
787 Posts
not quite 2 years and only 2800 miles. died deaded than a door knob.
Replaced with the Shorai 270 cca model and yet still get the dragging starts when she's hot. First attempt makes you cuss, 2nd attempt fires right up.

· Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
Just replaced my battery, I've had my bike for about 18 Months and finally got sick and tired of the hot start problems. I wanted to get the Shorai but we can't get it or any lithium iron batteries here in Oz so I got an Absorbed Glass Mat battery.

I put a MotoBatt MBTX9U in my bike as it was the "replacement" for the factory battery and also the highest capacity battery I could get that would fit in the battery holder. Sadly we can't get the same range of batteries down here in Australia.

Check out http://www.motobatt.com/

· Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Does any one uses the battery tenders? Should I waste my money or can I spend it on another mod?
Yeah I have one and use it at least once a month. I was told from other riders that if you start the bike it takes at least a 30 minute ride at highway speeds to recharge the battery. I did notice that mine dragged the other day when I started it after riding and shutting it off, I'll just keep an eye on it and if it keeps doing it I'll probably change batteries or go call the stealership and see what they say, seems more like a starter issue to me.

· Registered
266 Posts
Have used battery tender for years, great for keeping battery up to full charge if your not riding it frequently. Or if you have more than 1 bike, I leave my bagger on while I ride my fury and put both on during the winter even though I still ride, just not long hauls.

· Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Mine showed signs of a bad cell early on and I eventually just replaced the battery at the 1-year point before embarking on the Tail of the Dragon ride a bunch of us did ... for the very reason you're concerned about.

New one from Batteries Plus has been fantastic, so far.

· Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Does any one uses the battery tenders? Should I waste my money or can I spend it on another mod?
I use one through the winter months. I believe in them. Do it!

· Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
Battery tenders are a great thing to use but they won't protect you from the hot start problems that many of us have with the stock battery. The battery tenders are great for maintaining a charge and having a good charge makes cold starting easy but a good charge does not seem to help with the hot start problem. My battery always played up at the end of the ride and always at the time when conventional logic says the battery should be charged.:confused:

· Premium Member
13,980 Posts
i have a tender and someday i may get to use it on my bike.we ride all year long as long as it gets to 40 or 50%.i do use it on bikes in the shop and it helps.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
Sulphation is the ultimate killer of Lead-Acid Batteries. Sulphation begins to occcur at anything less than 90% of full charge. Therefore, to get the maximum life out of your battery, you must maintain it at greater than 90% of full charge. The best way to accomplish that is to keep it on a Battery-Maintainer when you're not riding your bike. I use, (and have for years) the Battery-Tender Jr. (Part #021-0123). It has a maximum output of .750 milliamps, which means that, even at full charge-rate, it won't boil the electrolyte out of your battery (another common reason for battery failure, especially on small-volume batteries like ours).

So, if you want to make your battery last dependably longer, get yourself a Battery-Tender and keep it plugged-in when your not riding your Fury. My two-bits............

Cheers

Reactions: FuryInAlpine
1 - 20 of 34 Posts