Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I've never had starting problems before, but yesterday when I got home from riding from work (approx 35miles) in 24 deg C temp, the bike really struggled to start when I opened the workshop to put the bike in. I'm guessing this might be the infamous hot start issue and thought i'd try the battery first.

I currently have this fitted

And thought i'd upgrade to this one..

Has anyone ever tried this battery and if so any thoughts?

Thanks
Hammy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I replaced the battery ground cable with a larger cable and ALL starting issues have gone away. here in the south, with the hot temps the Fury would sometimes not turn over after a short shutdown, such as after a fuel stop.
The Fury starts like a champ now.
I highly recommend the upgrade.
Interesting. After putting in a new battery, I did not have any problems, but the other day it gave me problems after getting gas. I chalked it up to me not holding the start button long enough. Then last night, it did the same, then stalled. Again, I thought I did not let it warm up enough. Ill have to see if this continues.

·
Registered
2015 Furry
26 Posts
Interesting. After putting in a new battery, I did not have any problems, but the other day it gave me problems after getting gas. I chalked it up to me not holding the start button long enough. Then last night, it did the same, then stalled. Again, I thought I did not let it warm up enough. Ill have to see if this continues.
The stock Ground Cable is not adequate when the motor is hot. After you shut down to refuel the internal core temps in the engine climb as there is no cooling taking place. The starter gets very hot as well.
When you attempt a start when all the engine components are this hot, the resistance going through the ground cable is beyond the cables capacity.
Going to a larger cable reduces the starting issues.
The replacement cable did not have the wonky Honda end on it. I used a 1/2" stand off and a 35mm long bolt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The stock Ground Cable is not adequate when the motor is hot. After you shut down to refuel the internal core temps in the engine climb as there is no cooling taking place. The starter gets very hot as well.
When you attempt a start when all the engine components are this hot, the resistance going through the ground cable is beyond the cables capacity.
Going to a larger cable reduces the starting issues.
The replacement cable did not have the wonky Honda end on it. I used a 1/2" stand off and a 35mm long bolt.
Thank you !!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Something as important. I’ve been in electrical for 40 yrs …you can have a wire in there the size of your arm yet if the mating lugs / surfaces / joints at either end are crap then you have fixed 5/8’s of fk all with the heavier earth. As to grease, dialectic grease under an earth point is subjective to which engineer is selling what product, 1000’s of pages on the subject for & against. I personally won’t use them under a lug other sparks will

I will use Alminox in a very very thin film under a lug onto bright metal & then a slim coating of dialectic grease ‘over’ the lug for moisture ingress / corrosion prevention. Clean tightly mated fittings with good surface contact allows that bigger earth wire to work effectively

Nothing will ever surpass a few mins ‘once a year’ remove, clean & bolt back up for a good earth. It’s like a fire extinguisher..no one gives a rats arse about them until it’s hit the fan 🤣. A bad earth can catch you out when you least expect it & generally give you grief with intermittent issues

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thanks all!

Battery arrived today and I thought it was an empty box !!

Light as a feather to hold and will be fitting tomorrow so will update accordingly :)

Thanks again :)
I thought the same thing when I bought the EarthX. Ain't modern technology grand?

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
Add the ground wire up grade.

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
Something as important. I’ve been in electrical for 40 yrs …you can have a wire in there the size of your arm yet if the mating lugs / surfaces / joints at either end are crap then you have fixed 5/8’s of fk all with the heavier earth. As to grease, dialectic grease under an earth point is subjective to which engineer is selling what product, 1000’s of pages on the subject for & against. I personally won’t use them under a lug other sparks will

I will use Alminox in a very very thin film under a lug onto bright metal & then a slim coating of dialectic grease ‘over’ the lug for moisture ingress / corrosion prevention. Clean tightly mated fittings with good surface contact allows that bigger earth wire to work effectively

Nothing will ever surpass a few mins ‘once a year’ remove, clean & bolt back up for a good earth. It’s like a fire extinguisher..no one gives a rats arse about them until it’s hit the fan 🤣. A bad earth can catch you out when you least expect it & generally give you grief with intermittent issues

Alright. Where you from? I know everyone else is thinking the same thing after your post!! 🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣 earth this and earth that! I am guessing Australia??? I am from Iowa . Middle of the USA.

·
Registered
417 Posts

P.S I totally agree on your take on cleaning the post of a battery. I wad trained as an auto mechanic. I have self taught my self on AC 24 VOLT TO 480 3 PHASE. I see just as many corrosion problems with AC as I do with DC. OH how people don't pay attention to copper and aluminum. This is what gets both AC and DC CORROSION GOING. Then add in off gassing from a Battery!!! Ride safe man.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alright. Where you from? I know everyone else is thinking the same thing after your post!! 🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣 earth this and earth that! I am guessing Australia??? I am from Iowa . Middle of the USA.
Yeah ..little flags beside our names. I didn’t even know I’d said it but yes we use the word earth not ground. It’s not just the battery post though but also the ‘ground’ connection.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Technically it's a contained DC system (excepting the alternator), so would the terminals be referred to as the "positive" and "common" terminals?
So many names get used. Neutral, Ground, Common, Earth.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts