Honda Fury Forums: banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,121 Posts
Yeah ..little flags beside our names. I didn’t even know I’d said it but yes we use the word earth not ground. It’s not just the battery post though but also the ‘ground’ connection.
Our North American mates are used to Australian English and they are even getting the hang of the metric system after having me post on here for the last 12 1/2 years. :)

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
Our North American mates are used to Australian English and they are even getting the hang of the metric system after having me post on here for the last 12 1/2 years. :)
Your English maybe. Metric. Can be put up someone's back side. Beings HARLEY never had dirt bikes ,mopeds,motor cross bikes. Is why I Bleed Honda and Yamaha. If HARLEY had ! and done it right🤔🤣 I probably would be on a HOG. BUT We all know they have always had just 1 vision. Might have done a Victory. Till they killed them. Indians are cool just seeing and hearing about problem. Electrical. You know. Where the smoke gets let out .

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
So many names get used. Neutral, Ground, Common, Earth.
Those are not the same thing. Neutral is the return path of the current carried by the hot. The only time ground will carry current is in a fault state. Neutral = common, ground = earth. But not the other way

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Just a note for those that are adding or replacing ground cables.... I've been using welding cable for all my automotive battery connections for a long time now. Usually it's very pure copper, highly flexible due to having MANY smaller strands of copper, and when correctly terminated is capable of much more amperage than similar gauge 'automotive grade' cable. The jacket/insulator is a bit softer, so I usually add some sheathing for peace of mind against any abrasion points, but I can't honestly say that I've ever seen a spot where it was truly necessary.

marine grade shrink wrap over the crimp ends and you're good to go!

·
Registered
2010 Fury
352 Posts
Those would make great kids names...
...like a boy named Sue. They would grow up tough (or bruised).

good tips in this thread. I went LI ion without any other mods and it cured my slow start issues. I've had 100plus degree days and hot starts a non issue and my battery is not as large as the one mentioned here. I like the advice on connections. Too many times I have seen (even from the factory) large cables and teeny connectors.

·
Registered
2010 Fury
352 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I think the confusion revolves around what to call negative (besides negative). Ground or Earth is appropriate (although not always accurate in ungrounded systems). It is what the factory calls "negative". Think of "common" or "Neutral" this way: in an AC since wave, voltage swings from positive to negative 50 or 60 times each second (depending on where you are). Thus "negative" would be inaccurate for the return or common/neutral wire which is actually grounded, unlike most 12vdc systems.

clear as mud?

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I think the confusion revolves around what to call negative (besides negative). Ground or Earth is appropriate (although not always accurate in ungrounded systems). It is what the factory calls "negative". Think of "common" or "Neutral" this way: in an AC since wave, voltage swings from positive to negative 50 or 60 times each second (depending on where you are). Thus "negative" would be inaccurate for the return or common/neutral wire which is actually grounded, unlike most 12vdc systems.

clear as mud?
It's clear. 50% of the time AC is in opposite polarity, hence the term, "alternating current". This can be felt when you accidentally come in contact with a live wire. I felt it more than once when I was young and learning to be an electrician. "Ah, no.......don't bother to turn the power off.....I'll be careful wiring up this receptacle........" ......and then I lay the screwdriver across my hand.......

The only way I can describe it is like the current was vibrating through my hand due to the quickly changing polarity. Of course I always threw the screwdriver like it was its fault.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
funny...AC tends to push you away, DC makes you grab...been there, done that. For me, it was slippery fuse pullers. Not my sweaty ass hands.
There has been an ongoing debate about that which I learned when I went through an electrical technology course. Some say DC is more dangerous, due to what you said. DC is either on or off. There is no fluctuation and AC's changing polarity should give you a chance to let go. Some say AC is more dangerous, due to what I've recently read about it. DC supposedly causes a single convulsive muscular contraction which should push you away. AC supposedly causes extended muscle contraction which locks you onto the source.

Also DC is supposed to be less dangerous because the alternating current of AC can more easily damage you heart and blah, blah, blah. I've been shocked by both and I'd say neither one of them is going to be nicer to you than the other.

·
Registered
2019 Fury. Blue on Blue. 8Deg Tree, 3" extension, Baron Air, Road Burner pipes, All LED Lights, Guhl
417 Posts
There has been an ongoing debate about that which I learned when I went through an electrical technology course. Some say DC is more dangerous, due to what you said. DC is either on or off. There is no fluctuation and AC's changing polarity should give you a chance to let go. Some say AC is more dangerous, due to what I've recently read about it. DC supposedly causes a single convulsive muscular contraction which should push you away. AC supposedly causes extended muscle contraction which locks you onto the source.

Also DC is supposed to be less dangerous because the alternating current of AC can more easily damage you heart and blah, blah, blah. I've been shocked by both and I'd say neither one of them is going to be nicer to you than the other.
You are right both will definitely get your attention in the right situation. Tig welding will knock your -- in the dirt. I got lucky one day. A customer called and said they had a water leak on their stationary power washer. 15hp 3,500 psi 480 3 phase. I walk on the room and find someone had left the electric panel open. Water from the hose above it running through the contactor to the floor and I am standing in the water on the floor. Thank GOD for good shoes that day. Stepped back out and told the manager to kill the breaker and I would send him a bid for a new machine. I was not going to work on that water soaked one ever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi folks,

I've never had starting problems before, but yesterday when I got home from riding from work (approx 35miles) in 24 deg C temp, the bike really struggled to start when I opened the workshop to put the bike in. I'm guessing this might be the infamous hot start issue and thought i'd try the battery first.

I currently have this fitted

And thought i'd upgrade to this one..

Has anyone ever tried this battery and if so any thoughts?

Thanks
Hammy.
I had the same problem and a battery fixed it. I've always heard lithium batteries don't like heat. I use one for the sound system in my FJ and it holds and recharges fast. Not sure I'd get one for the bike though. 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
3,953 Posts
I had the same problem and a battery fixed it. I've always heard lithium batteries don't like heat. I use one for the sound system in my FJ and it holds and recharges fast. Not sure I'd get one for the bike though. 🤷‍♂️
They do not like excessive heat, which is why I have insulation for the side panels that loop between the engine and battery box.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts