Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i think after three years i'm going to have to get a battery for "the blue mule". i'm thinking about getting one just like the one that is on it or one by their sister company called Motocross. YTZ14S Battery | Yuasa Motocross 12 Volt Motorcycle Batteries. i'm not going to spend over a $150.00 bucks for a battery, so i was looking for affordable alternatives that are not junk. i looked on ebay & they have some cheap battery's, but i kinda have my doubts about the quality of them.

i bought a Ctek Battery Charger (MUS 4.3 56-864) & installed a CTEK Comfort Indicator Panel (56-380), so i finally have a maintenance charger.

everyone here seems to hate the factory Yuasa YTZ14S battery, but they are praised all over the rest of the internet. why do Fury owner not like them?

any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
When I first got the bike, myself and others found when we stopped for gas and tried to restart the bike (hot) it would not start and reset the clock/tripometer if you held the start button too long.
We speculated it was possibly a starter issue since it only seem to occur when hot. Also thought maybe compression at TDC.
I replaced my battery with a Shorai battery which were new at the time and never had another starting issue while hot. 285 CCA.
The battery has been in the bike going on 4 years now. It still spins the motor over like nothing.
The Shorai battery is pricey at $199 but has been well worth it to me.
You can't use a regular battery charger on it, they make one specifically for it.
I never had a need to put a battery charger on it.
I think the higher the CCA's the better, AGM is a good choice. I'm not a fan of the lead acid batteries any more.
(Do the newer Fury's ever encounter this hot start issue?) (2011 on up)
Curious
Tony
http://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=222759&model=222890&year=222890
I referred a Ducati friend to this battery and he stated that he never heard his bike spin over so fast since he owned it.
I have a buddy with a 2011 VROD Muscle that has put one in and his bike spins over fast also.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not sure if mine has a hot start issue or not. i honestly don't think so, because mine acts the same way weather it's hot or cold. it has gotten better after i put the ctek charger on it, but i'm more worried about getting out & getting stranded than anything now.

·
Registered
12,516 Posts
everyone here seems to hate the factory Yuasa YTZ14S battery, but they are praised all over the rest of the internet. why do Fury owner not like them?

I've had my bike since the fall of 2009 and still have the same battery that came with it brand new. I have experienced the hot start problem intermittently, but have never been stranded in the nearly six years of owning this bike with this battery. I have no doubt there are better batteries out there, but since this one has lasted this long, I plan on replacing it with the same Yuasa battery the bike came with.

Also, I have never put this battery on a tender. It has always sat all winter in the bike in a cold shed, barn, garage and even part of a winter outside in the snow and ice. Although in the past, I have had to charge it once or twice after sitting, this spring, she fired right up without having to charge it. I would prefer a battery that spins the starter a little stronger, but this first battery replacement is going to be the Yuasa since it's worked for me this long.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Same factory battery since summer 2011!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I'm using "Ballistic Performance 12 Cell EVO2 Battery" for the last 2 years.
I love my Earth X lithium iron phosphate battery but didn't mention it previously because the OP said he didn't want to spend more than $150... mine cost $350 but also has about 3X the CA's as stock... I know it is way overkill but I don't have to worry about someone drooling over my bike at the gas station and then the bike not wanting to start... lol

Just FYI they do have cheaper alternatives with less CCA'S than mine... and they are made in the USA which makes me happy.

Here is a link in case you are interested:

ETX36C - EarthX Motorsports

ETX24C - EarthX Motorsports

ETX18C - EarthX Motorsports

I bought the etx36c but the 18c is the "stock" replacement and the 24c would be an upgrade from stock.

Also you don't need a special charger for these since the BMS (battery management system) is built inside the battery.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i think after three years i'm going to have to get a battery for "the blue mule". i'm thinking about getting one just like the one that is on it or one by their sister company called Motocross. YTZ14S Battery | Yuasa Motocross 12 Volt Motorcycle Batteries. i'm not going to spend over a $150.00 bucks for a battery, so i was looking for affordable alternatives that are not junk. i looked on ebay & they have some cheap battery's, but i kinda have my doubts about the quality of them.

i bought a Ctek Battery Charger (MUS 4.3 56-864) & installed a CTEK Comfort Indicator Panel (56-380), so i finally have a maintenance charger.

Try www.atbatt.com.
I bought my replacement Yuasa there. It was the cheapest I could find it (with Presidents' Day sale).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my Earth X lithium iron phosphate battery but didn't mention it previously because the OP said he didn't want to spend more than $150... mine cost $350 but also has about 3X the CA's as stock... I know it is way overkill but I don't have to worry about someone drooling over my bike at the gas station and then the bike not wanting to start... lol

Just FYI they do have cheaper alternatives with less CCA'S than mine... and they are made in the USA which makes me happy.

Here is a link in case you are interested:

ETX36C - EarthX Motorsports

ETX24C - EarthX Motorsports

ETX18C - EarthX Motorsports

I bought the etx36c but the 18c is the "stock" replacement and the 24c would be an upgrade from stock.

Also you don't need a special charger for these since the BMS (battery management system) is built inside the battery.
I picked one of those up today here on sale this month:

ETX36C EARTHX 36 CELL LITHIUM BATTERY [ETX36C] - $259.00 : Thrust Innovations, Stand Up Jet Ski Parts | Jet Ski Performance Parts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again. I believe I need a new battery. Do the batteries normal go dead if the key is on for maybe 15 min? I know, stupid me but i cant imagine the head light and my LED turns and brake light could kill a battery in under 15 min. It turned over about a crank and then needed jumped. This has happened while having the key on for under 10 min. as well.

Bought the bike as a late model, so its a 2013. Hoping they used a new battery and not one that originally came on the bike.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again. I believe I need a new battery. Do the batteries normal go dead if the key is on for maybe 15 min? I know, stupid me but i cant imagine the head light and my LED turns and brake light could kill a battery in under 15 min. It turned over about a crank and then needed jumped. This has happened while having the key on for under 10 min. as well.

Bought the bike as a late model, so its a 2013. Hoping they used a new battery and not one that originally came on the bike.

What are your thoughts?
With the key on, the lights are not really the draw to worry about. It is the coil(s) being energized that will drain a battery. I've only had my Fury just over a week so I don't know if 15 minutes is good or bad. Mine also was a 'new' 2013. As to the battery installed, that is a good question. ALL new vehicle manufacturers use cheap batteries new. And In a 2013, your battery could have been manufactured in 2012 or earlier. I personally know that worldwide Mercedes spends $10m a year to replace batteries in new cars that have died...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey nice bike Ordinary. We have to the color.

Thanks for the advice/info guys. I'll be searching for a battery soon. Its been to unreliable. Don't dare forget to shut it off!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Thanks! It's the best choice obviously...

Over the years I have thought about the new battery tech, specifically the LiFePO4 batteries as they seem to be the next step of old fashioned lead acid. But I had heard that they do not perform as well in cold, and it gets cold here, and there will be opportunities to ride year round. Hadn't been willing to spend to get to the next tier. If this battery gives me issues, we will see.

Good luck on the purchase!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
got a new $35-$40 battery off eBay & keep it on a c tech charger. No problems ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first got the bike, myself and others found when we stopped for gas and tried to restart the bike (hot) it would not start and reset the clock/tripometer if you held the start button too long.
We speculated it was possibly a starter issue since it only seem to occur when hot. Also thought maybe compression at TDC.
I replaced my battery with a Shorai battery which were new at the time and never had another starting issue while hot. 285 CCA.
The battery has been in the bike going on 4 years now. It still spins the motor over like nothing.
The Shorai battery is pricey at $199 but has been well worth it to me.
You can't use a regular battery charger on it, they make one specifically for it.
I never had a need to put a battery charger on it.
I think the higher the CCA's the better, AGM is a good choice. I'm not a fan of the lead acid batteries any more.
(Do the newer Fury's ever encounter this hot start issue?) (2011 on up)
Curious
Tony
Batteries
I referred a Ducati friend to this battery and he stated that he never heard his bike spin over so fast since he owned it.
I have a buddy with a 2011 VROD Muscle that has put one in and his bike spins over fast also.
I have a 2016 Fury and yes at 8K miles it suffers from the hot start problem when I pull in to get gas it's like playing the lottery on if it will start or not. LoL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts