Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I,m no daddy bucks but need a good battery. I can't go $369 for a battery as some here do. $100 to maybe $150. What is the best battery in that range for my Fury.

Fly

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just my 2 cents...
Battery Tender AGM, ya it's a lead acid battery but its 300cca. Been running it about a year and a half. Below 40* it's slow to crank but cranks and fires. Have not had a hot start issue since installing it. If I get 3 years out of it I will be happy.
Oh, and its $50

·
Registered
362 Posts
My original battery lasted barely 4 years. For the next, I picked up one of the slightly more expensive lithiums, over six years now, and still cranking strong. Plus it is about 30% smaller, so cable management (LED's and all) is much easier. So glad I went that route. Soooo worth the extra $.

Add:. I think I paid just a little over $100 about six years ago, so probably not much more now. I saw one similar on Amazon for about $150. And if I remember correctly, less than half the weight of the original battery also.
Just looked up, brand was Shorai. Don't know the exact model number.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
A friend of mine just asked about this, and of course AGM is going to provide the most power for the price/reliability. HOWEVER, she asked about the cost of running a Battery Tender Jr., as electricity isn't free.

Figuring either battery will last five-years, an Earth-X lithium battery seems about $35 more expensive on average, taking lots of factors into account.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A friend of mine just asked about the cost of running a Battery Tender Jr., as electricity isn't free.
Cost to use them

Some of you may be wary of these Battery Tenders since you believe they suck up tons of electricity to convert into amps, and that they could drive up your power bills. That is a valid cause for worry but when it comes to these Battery Tenders, there is no need to worry at all, because the amount of energy these tenders suck up is minimal and even negligible.

Think about this: you have 50mA at 13.6 VDC during a routine maintenance charge, which is about .68W. In 60 minutes, you get about 0.00068kW-h, so if you pay $.11 per kW-h, you pay something like $.054 in a month and that is if you operate it 24/7.

Maintenance charges can go up and down to 100mA so you can get a peak of $.10 a month. So you can see, it is so tiny that you probably have errant light bulbs that consume more power than the tender.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cost to use them

Some of you may be wary of these Battery Tenders since you believe they suck up tons of electricity to convert into amps, and that they could drive up your power bills. That is a valid cause for worry but when it comes to these Battery Tenders, there is no need to worry at all, because the amount of energy these tenders suck up is minimal and even negligible.

Think about this: you have 50mA at 13.6 VDC during a routine maintenance charge, which is about .68W. In 60 minutes, you get about 0.00068kW-h, so if you pay $.11 per kW-h, you pay something like $.054 in a month and that is if you operate it 24/7.

Maintenance charges can go up and down to 100mA so you can get a peak of $.10 a month. So you can see, it is so tiny that you probably have errant light bulbs that consume more power than the tender.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I,m thinking about a lithium battery, they have come down a lot over the last year. But most do not advertise there
CCA,s & that concerns me. They do last much longer & price is $65 on up. The battery tender sounds very good
also & they even have a lithium for about $130 if I remember right. I wish some of you that have the cheap lithium
battery's would chime in with your thoughts on hot engine starting with these battery's.

Fly

·
Registered
437 Posts
I,m thinking about a lithium battery, they have come down a lot over the last year. But most do not advertise there
CCA,s & that concerns me. They do last much longer & price is $65 on up. The battery tender sounds very good
also & they even have a lithium for about $130 if I remember right. I wish some of you that have the cheap lithium
battery's would chime in with your thoughts on hot engine starting with these battery's.

Fly
I bought lithium battery through my local dealer pt# 490-2517 through dealer distributor "Western Powersports".

2.5 years so far, instant starts..no battery tender used even after sitting couple months during cold rainy weather.

If you have a local dealer try them 1st for a good price.
20200701_184411.jpg

Reactions: Gizmo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts