Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A couple of Italians riding Harleys on I-75 (Ocala, FL) ran over by a semi...
Motorcyclists killed. Their respective nationalities don't really matter. Unless they are Dutch. I hate the Dutch...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
It's really shitty the Ocala News reported the name of the tractor-trailer driver; the guy not only has to live with what happened that was most likely unavoidable, but his name is now all over it thanks to the paper. Way to smear a victim of the circumstances. The summary was, "Both men had been wearing helmets." They got hit by a semi and your paper is worried about helmets but not the semi driver???!!! Seriously poor reporting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what I read into the article:

- Riders from Italy are unfamiliar with the average Floridian drivers' lack of attention to their own driving.
- Riders did not keep in mind to always have an exit strategy.
- Riders were following too close for the speed of travel.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Rider were most likely very inexperienced riders, maybe never ridden on something as big and heavy as those hardleys.

Traffic ahead of the motorcycle riders slowed down. Dicosimo tried slowing down and lost control of the motorcycle, and it fell on its side. Vitagliano tried to avoid hitting the motorcycle in front of him and lay down his bike on its side.
Lost control and went over upon slowing down. Second cyclist was unable to avoid hitting the first so he went down as well. In reality, nothing in the story says they were going too fast, nor that they were following too closely. It reads like the fault is entirely their own for being unable to control their own vehicles. From Italy, rental bikes. Very large extra heavy bikes are out of the normal there, I would guess that they were not very experienced in the behavioral characteristics of a large heavy bike with sub par braking abilities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Florida must be a rough place to ride......
I was reading the Corvette forum where a rider was struck by lightning through his helmet.....
Shazam .... just like that he was gone :flamebike:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Well that sucks... I actually used to worked for that company for about 5 years hauling the U.S. Mail.
I really feel for that driver. It sounds like once they went down they slid into his lane. No fault of his own. Sucks for everybody all around.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I really feel for that driver. It sounds like once they went down they slid into his lane. No fault of his own. Sucks for everybody all around.
Yeah, that's gotta be rough to deal with, even though it sounds like there was nothing he could do, you always second guess yourself and think "what if I had done this differently or that differently?".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts