Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
WHY?? they look a little cooler because you can get different pully's and it would free up a little more space for a bigger tire but the shaft has such an instant feel and is very low maintnance.

You could do the swap but would have to change the swingarm, and the output on the trans plus the rim. Cost and from what i see not too much of a benefit i dont think it is worth it

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
WHY?? they look a little cooler because you can get different pully's and it would free up a little more space for a bigger tire but the shaft has such an instant feel and is very low maintnance.

You could do the swap but would have to change the swingarm, and the output on the trans plus the rim. Cost and from what i see not too much of a benefit i dont think it is worth it
Ummm agree on the worth... sure they look kind of cool.. but seriously, make you're own ride... don't imitate right? Isn't that what choppers is about.... Take a deep breath and realize that we don't ever have to worry about our pant legs getting caught on a pully of any kind.... I know it rarely happens, just pointing out one thing is all, besides reliability...

and ditto...

Not I. But then again I have not looked into converting to a belt as I rather shaft drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thats the point i was planning on getting new rims, bigger tire and a new rear fender. As far as maintaince, are you serious, thats one of the points of having toys is so you can work on them and make them your own and a few more ponies never hurt no-one. But definitly a next winter project.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
That's the point i was planning on getting new rims, bigger tire and a new rear fender. As far as maintenance, are you serious, that's one of the points of having toys is so you can work on them and make them your own and a few more ponies never hurt no-one. But definitely a next winter project.
Seriously...? (have to say it out front, I'm anti-pulley) But to put a pulley on this bike just to make it look like other choppers is kind of "out there"; in the fact that the shaft drive is really reliable. I like the look of the pulley drive seriously!, especially with the big belt mod that they have on bikes, but it doesn't make sense to me, even trying to make it "your own", to somewhat ruin the rides reliability is just weird...

Yes, with a 4 inch belt on there, it most likely won't have issues, but it's just reaching... Might as well buy a pulley/belt driven bike or a Hardley if you wanted to go that direction.... Which, most of us are trying not to do obviously... As a final word, to each his own as I admire individuality...! Just my common sense says no...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Seriously...? (have to say it out front, I'm anti-pulley) But to put a pulley on this bike just to make it look like other choppers is kind of out there; in the fact that the shaft drive is really reliable. I like the look of the pulley drive seriously!, especially with the big belt mod that they have on bikes, but it doesn't make sense to me, even trying to make it "your own", to somewhat ruin the rides reliability is just weird...

Yes, with a 4 inch belt on there, it most likely won't have issues, but it's just reaching... Might as well buy a pulley/belt driven bike or a Hardley if you wanted to go that direction.... Which, most of us are trying not to do obviously... As a final word, to each his own as I admire individuality...! Just my common sense says no...
I would have to agree with redspawnsilver that it's not monetarily worth it to change from shaft to belt. That being said, I hate the look of the shaft drive and love the look of belt drive. However, I chose to purchase reliability and I see no reason to change it just for the look. But again, to each their own and if it's in your budget, I think it would look awesome.:D
Hopefully this makes more sense

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I would have to agree. I hate the look of the shaft drive and love the look of belt drive. However, I chose to purchase reliability and I see no reason to change it just for the look. But again, to each their own and if it's in your budget, I think it would look awesome.:D
Oh, nm... I need ebonics when I'm drinking, lol...

·
Registered
266 Posts
just my 2cents the shaft drive is a much cleaner look and lets you show off the rims in the back as well as the front especially with the viper2's and yes it is the most dependable more riding and less wrenching always a good thing

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
my 2 cents.dont like 5or 6 hundred out of pocket every time that belt breaks.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
It is what it is!!

my 2 cents.dont like 5or 6 hundred out of pocket every time that belt breaks.
I am with what would appear to be the majority vote on this one. There are many area's of concern on this bike that justify modifications,upgrades and changes but I don't think this area of the bike is one of them. It is what it is and I say leave it alone and focus your interest to other modifications within the bike that will make yours stand out from others. Just my thoughts. Dave

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am with what would appear to be the majority vote on this one. There are many area's of concern on this bike that justify modifications,upgrades and changes but I don't think this area of the bike is one of them. It is what it is and I say leave it alone and focus your interest to other modifications within the bike that will make yours stand out from others. Just my thoughts. Dave
I'm in this camp too. At first I wasn't thrilled with the shaft drive because I tend to take a purist approach to things, and, well, real motorcycles have chain final drives, right? None of this sissy belt or shaft stuff for me...

That said, I find the aesthetics of the shaft drive on the Fury to be very clean, which in my mind is what this bike is all about. No busy pulleys, belts, chains, gears, etc..., just smooth and clean. Now if someone could figure out how to shrink the final drive housing and hub so it looked like the rear wheel was just sitting on an axle, that would be perfection in my mind!

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I personally can't stand the belts even though they do have a unique look. If you want a wide rear tire and a new fender get the 250 kit that's out. :) Probably cheaper overall anyway than changing to a pully, THEN going wide tire.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Thats the point i was planning on getting new rims, bigger tire and a new rear fender. As far as maintaince, are you serious, thats one of the points of having toys is so you can work on them and make them your own and a few more ponies never hurt no-one. But definitly a next winter project.
Id rather spend wrench time on Significant cosmetic and performance oriented things. I like this bike because i can just jump on it and ride it till my gas is almost out. That and occasionally having to take an hour to change the oil is all the time i ever really want my bike down. With the belt drive though your only freeing up like another few mm so you could possibly get it out to a 300mm, but that is going to require offsetting the trans output from stock. If your looking for a 250 rear then just get the 250 kit It will probably save you some cash

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I like belts but I'll live with the shaft. It's the swing arm I hate, I would prefer the traditional soft tail swing arm. To some extent it hides the ugly shaft drive and the traditional swing arm follows the lines of the frame and to me finishes off the lines on the bike.

I like wrenching but I like riding more:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm in this camp too. At first I wasn't thrilled with the shaft drive because I tend to take a purist approach to things, and, well, real motorcycles have chain final drives, right? None of this sissy belt or shaft stuff for me...

That said, I find the aesthetics of the shaft drive on the Fury to be very clean, which in my mind is what this bike is all about. No busy pulleys, belts, chains, gears, etc..., just smooth and clean. Now if someone could figure out how to shrink the final drive housing and hub so it looked like the rear wheel was just sitting on an axle, that would be perfection in my mind!
i agree somehow hide that ugly grey shaft/hub or have it already painted the color of the bike or chrome right from the dealer , i think thats asking to much but would look much better

·
Registered
889 Posts
no belt drive yet, but i'm thinking about installing a hemi engine. i'm thinking it might be too loud though. what do you think?
Make sure you get some training wheels too. They'll help hold the bike up when you blip the throttle and the torque of the engine tries to flop the bike on its side :D

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
1 - 20 of 74 Posts