Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several threads and posts on Fury side mount license plates with lights but have yet to see a comprehensive "how to" of the process or the best and easiest fix available.

I would think a simple approach would be to use any available side mount license plate bracket (Accutronix, Kuryakin, Hayes, etc) and fasten an illuminating LED light from either the rear left turn signal housing or under the fender LED light mounting to shine on the actual license plate. This would elliminate the need to route a wire along the shaft drive to connect to a light on the license plate itself.

The other "how to" data missing is elliminating the stock "beaver tail" mess from below the stock brake light. I've seen some that keep the reflector, and others that go so far as removing the tail light itself. I would like to keep the stock taillight and eliminate everything else below it while using the stock licence plate wiring to power an LED illumination device within or mounted to the stock left rear turnsignal or under the left rear fender.

Can someone offer a complete "how to" with a complete recommended parts list, prices, and vender info to make this mod an easy 1-2 hour effort?

Thank,

Bill, a new Fury owner

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,739 Posts
how to.

buy it.look at instructions and proceed to next step.olay!!
buy one with the lite on it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is the accutronix. it has 3 leds already on it and its bright as all hell. I ran the wire that comes with it under the seat (it needed to be extended a little). and just tapped into the constant of the tail light. It wasnt hard at all. I got mine on ebay i think for around $100.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removing the stock fury "beaver tail"

This is the accutronix. it has 3 leds already on it and its bright as all hell. I ran the wire that comes with it under the seat (it needed to be extended a little). and just tapped into the constant of the tail light. It wasnt hard at all. I got mine on ebay i think for around $100.

I just ordered the Accutronix side mount. What did you do to remove the stock license mount and wire up the new Accutronix?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just ordered the Accutronix side mount. What did you do to remove the stock license mount and wire up the new Accutronix?
Well I replaced the whole tail light assembly. But if u just wanna remove the license plate mount you can do like a lot of guys on here do and with a steady hand and a dremel, cut it off. As for the wiring, follow the harness on the right side of the bike from the tail light to under the seat.(taking the fnder off would be the easiest way to do it but its not totally necessary.) Open up the insulation and youll see a brown wire with gray dots. Thats your positive and attach the red wire from the accutronix plate. Then youll see a green wire with gray dots. Thats your negative. attach your black to that. test it out and put the bike back together.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I've seen several threads and posts on Fury side mount license plates with lights but have yet to see a comprehensive "how to" of the process or the best and easiest fix available.

I would think a simple approach would be to use any available side mount license plate bracket (Accutronix, Kuryakin, Hayes, etc) and fasten an illuminating LED light from either the rear left turn signal housing or under the fender LED light mounting to shine on the actual license plate. This would elliminate the need to route a wire along the shaft drive to connect to a light on the license plate itself.

The other "how to" data missing is elliminating the stock "beaver tail" mess from below the stock brake light. I've seen some that keep the reflector, and others that go so far as removing the tail light itself. I would like to keep the stock taillight and eliminate everything else below it while using the stock licence plate wiring to power an LED illumination device within or mounted to the stock left rear turnsignal or under the left rear fender.

Can someone offer a complete "how to" with a complete recommended parts list, prices, and vender info to make this mod an easy 1-2 hour effort?

Thank,

Bill, a new Fury owner
Bill:
Taking the seat and fender off is the best way to modify the rear license plate mount. There is a metal V made out of round bar. I cut mine with a hacksaw. I moved the reflector up and left it on the bike below the brake light.
View attachment 1507

I purchase some self sticking wire clips from the hardware store. I solder longer wires on the the Accutronics red and black to run the wires up into the fender. (right side)
I cut off the existing license plate connector leaving enough wire to solder the extended wires to it. (as to have a disconnect)
I used the self sticking plastic wire clips to the bottom of the rear swing arm. I use a package of shrink wrap tubing and put that over the wires prior to attaching to the clips underneath the swing arm.
I ran my wire in that plastic tubing for hiding wires. It's up to you.

Everyone wants a quick how to do it with pictures, but in all honesty you just need to dig in and take things apart. Make a trip to the parts store and get the goodies you need to complete the job.

I can say if you get the Fury Service Manual it has instructions on how to take everything off the bike.
Good manual to have..

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
This is the only pic of me that I have wiring up the side light for the license plate mount. As you can see, I was using wire loom that I ran to the middle of the bike. The other wires that were in the back of the bike, I just cut off the ends of those, sliced open the OEM wire loom by the middle of the bike and figured out which wires were the OEM wires I just cut and pulled them back through to the middle of the bike, worked great and kept the OEM wire loom right were it was. I used those sticky squares on the bottom of the swing arm to hold the wire loom in place and some zip ties. Took about an hour all together.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well if you were not there trying to figure out how to use the crimps then it would have only taken you 30min and gave us a longer time to ride... :D ROFLMAO.

Seriously… Parts needed? Here you go... simple:
4-Red Butt connectors (I like the heat shrink types)
About two to three feet of wire loom or shrink tube
Electrical tape
Crimps
5 feet of red wire & 5 feet of black wire (I like having extra)
Self adhesing wire mounts.
Total Cost…. Around $25.00 plus mount.

I bought my mount through shaynem109sideplate.com… good guy and cheap. About $120 for a custom cut mount and hardware

That about all we used when Redspawn came over to mount his side mount… basically because that was all I had left after doing mine… LOL. It takes between 30 min to an hour to do… fairly easy as Tony said… you just have to get your hands dirty.

Auto part Disc brake Tire Wheel Brake

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I bought a Shane side mount and installed a little led lite that he sold me for 10 bucks using a little piece of angle bracket, riveted to the under side of the fender. Out of the way and out of sight. wiring was simple since I cut all the garbage off the rear I used the two wires going to the old light and had to cut some of that off because it was to long and do not have any wires running around. I am going to post some pictures of my bike on here tomorrow anyway to show the mods tht I have done. I think I posted some on Fury Riders of the light installed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After seeing the mounts that just bolt through the axle I decided to make my own and try to make it look a little cleaner.
I purchased a license plate frame from Custom Dynamics with built in LEDs. I machined some aluminum for the bracket and axle rod. Then used stainless flat head screws to hold it together. For the wiring I took the time and cut the factory wire out of the loom all the way up to the front of the swing arm. Then I spliced it to add length. I used the stock plugs so I could disconnect and remove the brakcet in the future. I will try to get some pictures up tonight. I am really happy with how it turned out.
I also cut off the plastic tail under the tailight and installed some kury rear turn signals at the same time. Looks like a different bike from behind now!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts