Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the digital silver metallic paint for my rear fender that was scratched. The color they sent went on darker then the factory paint, so I figure no problem i shoot them an email of the problem I encountered. First i was informed that these paints are variance colors which means it depends on which factory your bike was painted rather the color is going to match because the paints used at the factory vary from factory to factory. Second there's a 30 day time frame from the time you purchased which I was one day over so the gentleman said basically i was f**k out of 45.00 dollars and that i should have tested it before i applied it which i did but its hard to tell without the clear coat applied, bottom line the shouldn't advertise OEM paint when its not. So what i did i took the front fender to O'reilly's and they color matched it perfect and that in my opinion is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Any automotive paint will spray a different shade according to the humidity, temperature, mixing process, equipment used , etc, etc, etc,. ..... Those who spray right out of the can and achieve a match are lucky.

Usually, I have to adjust a bit on a test panel before spraying to get a "perfect" match. (Which really doesn't exist!) But, you are right...Colorrite is NOT the OEM paint!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks TheeRob! I was looking at the colorrite site to order some blue. I will go to murrays now. Not so much because the color didn't match but the way you were treated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any automotive paint will spray a different shade according to the humidity, temperature, mixing process, equipment used , etc, etc, etc,. ..... Those who spray right out of the can and achieve a match are lucky.

Usually, I have to adjust a bit on a test panel before spraying to get a "perfect" match. (Which really doesn't exist!) But, you are right...Colorrite is NOT the OEM paint!
With a wife in the automotive refinishing industry, I hear it's all about creating the illusion of a perfect match. :)

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
i guess im like painter,test panels are a smart way to start.i have seen paint mixed to perfect weight and be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
I used the color rite paint and found it to a decent match. It went on nice and it was easy to work with. I wish I could say the same about their clear coat but I can't because it sucks big time more than words can express and it cost me a lot of time because of it and I would never never never use it again.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I used the color rite paint and found it to a decent match. It went on nice and it was easy to work with. I wish I could say the same about their clear coat but I can't because it sucks big time more than words can express and it cost me a lot of time because of it and I would never never never use it again.
Hey Dave,
Can you please give me your oppinion on color rite clear coat?:D
You crack me up Dave.

·
Registered
196 Posts
paint match

Since I have been painting since 1975....(keep the old guy remarks to your self) I have seen so many changes, mostly up until about '95 or so. everything from about then on has changes very little(until the water base bs now, which I shall fight to the end).
many moons ago (the single stage enamel days, yes I have been painting even before there was base/clear) things like air pressure, humidity, reduction, etc did make a big difference, but the automotive basecoats change so very little it's almost laughable, you need extremes to get much of a change at all. IE changing reduction by about 200% air pressure differences of 50lbs...(what kind of dumb ass would be that far off???)
I have heard all of the bull $hit stories by reps and the like and would be happy to prove them wrong anytime any place. Paint reps usually don't like me because I rarely sugar coat my thoughts...like I am now. Yes this is the sugar coated version...

Fact is after we starting using the same paint supplied to Honda on the vtx's I then realized how full of shit the aftermarket (refinish) paint companies really are.
Our VTX parts are so dead on all the time (except for maybe one color) it's nothing less than impressive. So how the hell does that work?

Here is a little of what is really going on.
The real color match problem isn't the Factory at all, it's the kind of paint.
OE doesn't use base/clear AS WE KNOW IT. It's really kind of neat stuff, Painters out there-Imagine a single stage color you can clear on in 20 minutes or so and not have it mottle!!!!WTF you say?
Well that's closer to what the oe paint is, a totally different animal than refinish base/clear.
SO what you say?

Well here's the deal, it's all about the pigments and resins they use and orientation of the metallic. Metallic orientation is what controls your side cast aka flop.
When a painter is cussing at a color because it looks just tits on the high side(straight on) and way the he!! of when the angle of the part changes, that's flop.

Guess what, sometimes you will simply not get it right, unless you are using the same exact paint, it just lies differently and that can't be fixed with air pressure, reduction, all of that bs.

Now that the Fury is overseas we simply can't get some of the pigments to correctly match it some colors, I would love it if someone had a right on match to the red, I went through about 500 bucks or more to try to get that color RIGHT and couldn't get it....

The Suzuki candy orange is exactly the same as the Kawasaki orange, we just can't get it right...pisses me off.

Some paint companies would like you to believe it's the stupid painters fault, to them I say [email protected] YOU! We are not talking about a little off; we are usually talking left field out of the damn park off!!!

Now, years ago there were issues at the automotive plants, maybe there still are, about different colors at different plants, that was true, there again, paint suppliers fault, not the plants, How about some color doc on what the color should look like you dumb shits!!!!!!!!!!

This pisses me off on so many levels you cant imagine...even the EPA could get their shit together and help solve this color matching issue, don't get me started, lets say you have a fender put on your car, the color happens to be a fu$ker so the shop ends up blending the hood, cover and door. what kind of waste of raw materials is that??? It's a big one that could be solved and I have the solution, but the greedy paint companies will never allow it to happen. You see when you need to use 3 times the materials you should have to, they sell you more paint!
Not only that so many paint companies think they have something special and don't want to let the cat out of the bag sota speak, so they keep that shit to themselves, OK I get the need to some proprietary stuff once in a while, but give me a break, have you really seen anything that new and exciting is car/ bike colors in the last 10 years,,, not since Honda's Illusion blue, chromaflair pigments are responsible for that one boys..

Answer me this speaking of chromaflair pigments...why is it that the primaries in that line will always be right on match no mater who's paint you use????
Because the primary chromaflair pigments are always the same,,,I have panel painted so many of those with different brands (color shift) it would blow your mind. always matches. Always

Honda and the other MC manufacturers from what I have seen put out incredibly consistent colors, don't even pretend to give me that bs about different plants ,it's the paint suppliers. I have been through the vtx/gold wing plant in OH a few times during the Honda Homecoming and watched their painters painting, Nothing wrong there..
OK enough of the rant...I knew I shouldn’t have started in on this one.
I will bet when you buy a factory painted part from any bike manufacture it will match 99% of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I've always heard silver is the worst paint to match

·
Registered
193 Posts
For some minor touch up jobs (Blue Fury), Krylon Fusion, 2329 Patriotic Blue, ($4.50) is a pretty good match, got it @ Walmart. Good for plastic, or metal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried their clear coat also and had the same results. I've sprayed a lot of clear coat in my day and this was by far the worst I have ever used.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I must say that the matte grey I got from colorrite matched perfectly but it wasn't out of the rattle can either. Plus the matte doesn't get cleared either. The frame black out of a can matched great too. I may have just gotten lucky.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Colorite code to Mean Cycles for Honda Fury fairing recently purchased.
Darker than bike color in one light angle.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts