Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these Big Thunder baffles and installed them on my Cobra Swept exhaust. The baffle is 2” and my ID is 2 3/4”. i checked the site and the largest they make for is 2 1/8”. Anyways, it sounds good but there is some space around the baffle. how effective would it be to just keep them on or should I get the 2 1/8”? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I can't imagine much difference between what you have and the 2 1/8". For me it would fall into the 'not worth the $$' category, and I would go on like they are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine much difference between what you have and the 2 1/8". For me it would fall into the 'not worth the $$' category, and I would go on like they are.
okay thanks bro! I’ll just keep them on

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I just remove the baffles? Not too sure what benefits these baffles have

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Should I just remove the baffles? Not too sure what benefits these baffles have
You can take them out, see what they sound like, put them back if you want. Performance wise you won't notice a change one way or the other.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can take them out, see what they sound like, put them back if you want. Performance wise you won't notice a change one way or the other.
okay thanks bro. I just want it to sound loud and low. like a rumble

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have the bct monster qq baffles in my custom exhaust and I love them. A couple simple adalters could be made to fit the ones you have. Mine came with the adapters from BCT.

Sound and and performance are better with them on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the bct monster qq baffles in my custom exhaust and I love them. A couple simple adalters could be made to fit the ones you have. Mine came with the adapters from BCT.

Sound and and performance are better with them on.
ah where do you think I can purchase those adapters? Or is there a DIY?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Usually those baffles help with the low rumble. If you take 'em out, the sound may be a little harsher.
Exactly. They tend to 1.) cut the higher-frequencies out, 2.) add a little back-pressure and damping at idle. The result is idle is more "mellow," a little quieter, but the low notes sound kind of evil, like there's way more power lurking. Bikes with a harsh" (tinny) exhaust note will probably drown out your rich rumble.

When you open the throttle, more of the exhaust blows right past the baffle, so it's still loud and violent, but without the harsh, annoying tones. The slight back-pressure tends to help with exhaust scavenging and results in more power than straight pipes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly. They tend to 1.) cut the higher-frequencies out, 2.) add a little back-pressure and damping at idle. The result is idle is more "mellow," a little quieter, but the low notes sound kind of evil, like there's way more power lurking. Bikes with a harsh" (tinny) exhaust note will probably drown out your rich rumble.

When you open the throttle, more of the exhaust blows right past the baffle, so it's still loud and violent, but without the harsh, annoying tones. The slight back-pressure tends to help with exhaust scavenging and results in more power than straight pipes.
Nice!! thank you. I was just concerned about the 1/2” gap around the baffle.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I had @Rope 's fart-cans on my bike, you can see straight through them, but the packing around the central tunnel cut out the mid and high frequencies. That plus Don's ECU tune @Kbuskill talks about made idle eerily quiet, but cracking open the throttle far from home was an explosion of boomy thunder. (technically they're not "fart cans" due to the packing...)

...Then my neighbors started telling me how they could hear the deep rumble of my bike in their houses, with the windows and doors closed...not annoyingly loud, but noticeable. So I fired the bike up, let it idle down, and walked around a bit...oh. Well, good thing I had been quietly idling away from home in the mornings....

After adding @Rope's fart-cans:

After Don's tune and a slight re-pack of the fart-cans:

·
Registered
509 Posts
ah where do you think I can purchase those adapters? Or is there a DIY?

BCT sent them. For a gap that big though, personally I would find some 2 in to 2.75 exhaust adapters at the local auto parts store or on amazon if you can find them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BCT sent them. For a gap that big though, personally I would find some 2 in to 2.75 exhaust adapters at the local auto parts store or on amazon if you can find them.
okay Thanks. I’ll check the Auto store. Amazon didn’t have my size

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had @Rope 's fart-cans on my bike, you can see straight through them, but the packing around the central tunnel cut out the mid and high frequencies. That plus Don's ECU tune @Kbuskill talks about made idle eerily quiet, but cracking open the throttle far from home was an explosion of boomy thunder. (technically they're not "fart cans" due to the packing...)

...Then my neighbors started telling me how they could hear the deep rumble of my bike in their houses, with the windows and doors closed...not annoyingly loud, but noticeable. So I fired the bike up, let it idle down, and walked around a bit...oh. Well, good thing I had been quietly idling away from home in the mornings....

After adding @Rope's fart-cans:

After Don's tune and a slight re-pack of the fart-cans:
Wow huge difference. Sounds mean and low for sure

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Right, you have to upload to YouTube or somewhere else, then post the link to the video (over there) on this site.

In the first video the exhaust blew the camera over, it's what ya call "free-flowing."

On the repack (with slightly less filler material) the bike was actually much "quieter" sounding given the tune was more efficient; however that sound carried...

Because of less filler material it was louder when opening the throttle, just below "painful" some days, and is much louder than the microphone could capture when blipping the throttle. That low growl bounced off buildings and was just plain mean. It was the lowest (bassiest?) (sexiest?) sound I had on the bike, (not the loudest either, it was a good balance). It got a ton of attention and respect while looking great. I didn't hear nobody complain, neither. (Seriously though, people said it sounded great and wasn't too loud, didn't wake them up, etc., remembering I idled away from home and respected people's rights to peace and quiet in general.)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Right, you have to upload to YouTube or somewhere else, then post the link to the video (over there) on this site.

In the first video the exhaust blew the camera over, it's what ya call "free-flowing."

On the repack (with slightly less filler material) the bike was actually much "quieter" sounding given the tune was more efficient; however that sound carried...

Because of less filler material it was louder when opening the throttle, just below "painful" some days, and is much louder than the microphone could capture when blipping the throttle. That low growl bounced off buildings and was just plain mean. It was the lowest (bassiest?) (sexiest?) sound I had on the bike, (not the loudest either, it was a good balance). It got a ton of attention and respect while looking great. I didn't hear nobody complain, neither. (Seriously though, people said it sounded great and wasn't too loud, didn't wake them up, etc., remembering I idled away from home and respected people's rights to peace and quiet in general.)
What did you use for filler? i read about stainless steel wool high heat and thinking to try it out if i get no offers for a hookup on stock cobra baffles

1 - 20 of 34 Posts