Honda Fury Forums: banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Right, you have to upload to YouTube or somewhere else, then post the link to the video (over there) on this site.

In the first video the exhaust blew the camera over, it's what ya call "free-flowing."

On the repack (with slightly less filler material) the bike was actually much "quieter" sounding given the tune was more efficient; however that sound carried...

Because of less filler material it was louder when opening the throttle, just below "painful" some days, and is much louder than the microphone could capture when blipping the throttle. That low growl bounced off buildings and was just plain mean. It was the lowest (bassiest?) (sexiest?) sound I had on the bike, (not the loudest either, it was a good balance). It got a ton of attention and respect while looking great. I didn't hear nobody complain, neither. (Seriously though, people said it sounded great and wasn't too loud, didn't wake them up, etc., remembering I idled away from home and respected people's rights to peace and quiet in general.)
I just packed my modified baffles with some stainless steel scouring pads. I used 2 pads for each baffle and came up with the following as shown in the pics. Upon startup i was amazed at how she now sounds exactly as i can remember the stock cobra baffles sounded, prob a good 10-15 db less than what it was putting out prior and now its not humming so loudly in my 3/4 helmet so no more ears ringing or headaches, so im happy.. note, i hadn't sought out these mods until i started wearing the 3/4 helmet, with the 1/2 helmet and BT headphones, the previous sound was fine and caused no issues. Hopefully it lasts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's awesome @Tknj99 ! I've found scouring pads to give a clean, unique sound that "feels" oh, so good! I happen to like them, let me know how they sound after they've burned in for a week!

Note on stainless: I've found some of the stainless steel from china is not high-grade and contains less nickel, so they do rust/burn up more easily than a higher grade stainless. If they're "unbelievably cheap" believe it's for a reason.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Haha will do. i actually re-worked them today as i think they may have been too packed with 2 pads per baffle and may have been choking the engine a bit so i removed 1 per baffle and also removed the long threaded screw and wide washer at the end and instead using a welding rod to hold it in place so its a bit less restricted but still sounds good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just packed my modified baffles with some stainless steel scouring pads. I used 2 pads for each baffle and came up with the following as shown in the pics. Upon startup i was amazed at how she now sounds exactly as i can remember the stock cobra baffles sounded, prob a good 10-15 db less than what it was putting out prior and now its not humming so loudly in my 3/4 helmet so no more ears ringing or headaches, so im happy.. note, i hadn't sought out these mods until i started wearing the 3/4 helmet, with the 1/2 helmet and BT headphones, the previous sound was fine and caused no issues. Hopefully it lasts.
so should I drill holes in my Thunder baffles so the scouring pads come out or is there a way to wrap them around the baffle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
so should I drill holes in my Thunder baffles so the scouring pads come out or is there a way to wrap them around the baffle?
I've decided to remove the scouring pad packing as one of the bolts holding it in place wiggled on my first attempt and since then i've reconsidered the longevity of this solution. I dont want to have something ive introduced wind up rusting the pipes from the inside. They do sell high-temp stainless steel wool and that is probably the better route to go, but for the time being its getting warm out again and my ive been back to wearing the 1/2 helmet with BT earbuds and that works well without the sound issues i encounter with the 3/4 helmet. I may revisit this again come winter, unless i score some stock Cobra baffles from another thread i opened, and then will just stick with that.
With regard to your specific application, if you can wrap the ss wool on the outside of the baffle that will be the better solution, although it will prob need to be a lighter layer so you can re-install them without them bunching up too much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've decided to remove the scouring pad packing as one of the bolts holding it in place wiggled on my first attempt and since then i've reconsidered the longevity of this solution. I dont want to have something ive introduced wind up rusting the pipes from the inside. They do sell high-temp stainless steel wool and that is probably the better route to go, but for the time being its getting warm out again and my ive been back to wearing the 1/2 helmet with BT earbuds and that works well without the sound issues i encounter with the 3/4 helmet. I may revisit this again come winter, unless i score some stock Cobra baffles from another thread i opened, and then will just stick with that.
With regard to your specific application, if you can wrap the ss wool on the outside of the baffle that will be the better solution, although it will prob need to be a lighter layer so you can re-install them without them bunching up too much.
Thank you. So what should I use to hold the SS wool in place?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think if you wrap around the outside it should stay in place but on the inside and you may need to experiment

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think if you wrap around the outside it should stay in place but on the inside and you may need to experiment
okay but wrap it around loosely? what would you suggest I tie it with?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts