Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after sitting for about 6 1/2 months, I went to start the Fury and it was a no go. Same with my GSX-R :(

Took both my batteries down to get them tested, the Fury Battery tested good and the GSX-R was bad. I replaced the GSX-R battery, it fired right up when I bolted everything back up. The Fury is still down, I left the battery at the shop to get a full charge and I'll test it tomorrow.

It's weird though, since I left both bikes on a trickle charger to prevent this battery mishaps from happening, my buddies GSX-R 750 did the same thing... and I had that one on a trickle charge as well.

Sucks. I'm 3 for 3 on dead bikes on my return :(

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Well, after sitting for about 6 1/2 months, I went to start the Fury and it was a no go. Same with my GSX-R :(

Took both my batteries down to get them tested, the Fury Battery tested good and the GSX-R was bad. I replaced the GSX-R battery, it fired right up when I bolted everything back up. The Fury is still down, I left the battery at the shop to get a full charge and I'll test it tomorrow.

It's weird though, since I left both bikes on a trickle charger to prevent this battery mishaps from happening, my buddies GSX-R 750 did the same thing... and I had that one on a trickle charge as well.

Install a disconnect switch on the positive line... I have one on my truck that I use, when I used to go underway I pulled it. Good battery every-time... Yea, I know, doesn't help in your situation at the moment, but giving you some idea's for next time. In the mean time, if you have a hill where you live, try a rolling start... get it going for 10 minutes, then stick it on the charger.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
the only thing i can think of, to say is.........

WELCOME BACK SOLDIER!!!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts

This is my 5TH MOTORCYCLE Ive have never had these battery issues with older carb models...Except my Vmax which had extra electric fuel pump
I think the Furys starter stays engaged or some trickle component is robbing enough juice to drain the battery. OEM probably has low cold crank amps
The gel batt I got has got more cranking amps..These battery from Honda may have a lower refresh life span as all batteries do!
They always say to pull batt for winter storage because a batt can explode on a charger in the bike frame.:D

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I would guess most people have had problems with the Fury battery (to small) for the amount of post I’ve seen on it. Disconnect or pulling the battery all together is a good idea. RSS is correct with the hill, I had to do that once.:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
if you guys remember about 4 months ago i had an issue where the side cover on the exhaust side ripped open that wiring harness? anyway that shorted a 30 amp fuse that i believe is inline with positive side. if you pull that it should cut power to the bike doing with RSS suggested without any modification of installing a disconnect. might help in the future.

ill see if i can find the post where i put pics of the fuse box. meanwhile if you take off your battery side and look at the battery sitting in the bike. where the terminals are there is that maybe two inch by two inch rubber/plastic part right infront of you...i think it has a green cover on it.... pull the top off that. that is where the fuse is located.

Glad to see your back pred!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
man i feel lucky with no battery issues or broken bolts or anything, i just went and threw the battery tender on the bike after not riding or charging it in over a month and to my surprise it was fully charged within 10 minutes, i then started it up, which it hesitated just a little bit due to cold weather i imagine but no issues, maybe i'm speaking a little soon but i have had the bike over a year now and have 3,000-3,500 miles on it, i know that's not many compared to some but trust me i have road it as much as i could considering i got it last year and then shortly after it got cold and then deployed from January till beginning of August.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Tidbit... this same battery was on the 750, but not any of the 1300 models cept this one...

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
man, did i get lucky. my dealer replaced my screwy oem battery with a YUSA MF series battery.(at no cost to me)
I can't see the model number, but, according to their site, the MF series are AGM type batteries.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Tidbit... this same battery was on the 750, but not any of the 1300 models cept this one...
The Honda 750s use a YUASA YTZ12s battery the VTX1300s use a YUASA YTX14BS battery, they went to a YTZ (on the VT1300s) because it is physically smaller and has more CCAs

man, did i get lucky. my dealer replaced my screwy oem battery with a YUSA MF series battery.(at no cost to me)
I can't see the model number, but, according to their site, the MF series are AGM type batteries.
That is the OE battery (YUASA YTZ14S)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
The Honda 750s use a YUASA YTZ12s battery the VTX1300s use a YUASA YTX14BS battery, they went to a YTZ (on the VT1300s) because it is physically smaller and has more CCAs

That is the OE battery (YUASA YTZ14S)
dang, so an AGM battery is OE? wasn't there a bit of chatter about how much better AGM batteries were? I recall some type of battery that was 'better' than the standard lead-acid.
Mental had posted a long dissertation.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
dang, so an AGM battery is OE? wasn't there a bit of chatter about how much better AGM batteries were? I recall some type of battery that was 'better' than the standard lead-acid.
Mental had posted a long dissertation.
It is a better battery, as I said smaller size, more CCAs, also never leak. My personal opinion of some batteries "going bad" on the Fury is that the dealers service dept did not properly charge the battery in the first place, they where in such a frenzy to get them on the floor and out the door.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Good point Clueless, I hadn’t thought of that. What may have did me in this year was that last winter, my dealer had my bike and it was supposed to be on a trickle charger and wasn’t. I’ve had problems ever since. I plan on buying a new battery next spring. What was your recommendation to get?

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Good point Clueless, I hadn’t thought of that. What may have did me in this year was that last winter, my dealer had my bike and it was supposed to be on a trickle charger and wasn’t. I’ve had problems ever since. I plan on buying a new battery next spring. What was your recommendation to get?
I like the Yuasa, they are used thoughout the M/C industry, but they are expensive, info here Yuasa Batteries :: Literature First you should take your battery to the dealer and have them charge it (it should be charged on their charger, sit for at least 2 hrs, then tested). HDL has it for a good price Ohio, Florida, Honda, Parts, Accessories, dealer, Honda Direct LIne but it may need to be "topped off" before install, and that should be done with the dealers charger also, or you may end up right back where you started. If you where closer I could do it for you.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
The dealer took my battery out and gave it to me when i took it to them for storage. They said that is how they do it now because they were always charging batteries.
They told me to trickle charge it once a month for a day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts