Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Member Stonewheel asked me about how I mounted my Biker's Friend to my bike, so here it is.

Primary priority was to have a workable mounting that DOES NOT touch the paint on the fender ANYWHERE. Secondary priority was low buck expenditure.
So cheap and ugly job, but PURE unmolested paint is the result...

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
That is perfect!

Just to be clear. That is a solo seat attachment that connects to the solo seat without touching the paint on the rear fendor? If so, you have to provide instructions on how you set that up! How hard is it to put on an remove?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thx Blue

Lotta cabling, to be sure lol, but gave me some good ideas for hooking mine up. Especially now with riser's and extended fwd cntrls, which sits me back a couple inches, I should be able to comfortably lean back into that baby for extended rides.

Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
What size pack did you get? I was thinking of getting the med-large. I see you put a pad behind the pack to move it forward. Maybe one size up would be ok?

·
Registered
500 Posts
What size pack did you get? I was thinking of getting the med-large. I see you put a pad behind the pack to move it forward. Maybe one size up would be ok?
I got the large one myself; here's the mfr's description:

There are five size Biker's Friend Saddle Bags- Extra Large, Large, Medium-Large, Medium and Small. See the above table for details. The XL bag is made for a road trip or a rider that wants lots of room. It will surely hold one full size helmet, one 3/4 size helmet, and still have room to spare. In most cases, it is possible to get two full face helmets in the XL bag The XL bag is perfect for a bigger bike also such as a Honda Valkyrie, Yamaha Road Star, VTX 1800, and all the 1500cc bikes and larger. These large cruisers have a big passenger seat and benefit from the XL bag's larger diameter and length. However, the XL bag works fine on many of the mid-size cruisers. Should you want any of the bags without the backrest pads and lumbar roll, we will take twenty dollars off the price of the bag.
The Large bag is the exact same diameter as the XL bag. The only difference is in the length of the bag. The XL bag (including material) is 19 inches and the large bag is 15 inches Many riders do not want the large look of the XL bag and/or don't need all the storage it has too offer. Yet, they want to benefit from the larger diameter, the ability to hold a full face helmet, and get the most back support.

The Medium-Large size is the same diameter of the medium bag, but with the length of the XL. So, for those riders on a bike with a smaller seat that does not allow them to utilize the XL or Large because the bag may push them too far forward, or they don't like the larger look, the Medium-Large provides more storage and optimal back support with a lower profile.
Depending on your height/reach and whether or not you have risers or whatever, I think the main decision would be between med-large or large. The XL seems to me to be a big tourbike bag for the most part. The website has a ton of info:

Biker's Friend-Motorcycle Saddle Bag Sizes-Motorcycle Luggage

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK.

The Biker's Friend that I have is a size Medium. Had I gotten a 'Large' it might be big enough for the backpad to reach me without using the extra foam that I have there. I had originally gotten this for a different bike. The ability to easily switch the luggage carrier from bike to bike is a big plus to me.

Mine is mounted on top of the stock 2-up seat and the Honda Accessory low passenger backrest (I got the rest specifically to have something to lash luggage onto).

I did try lashing the supplied bungee hooks to the rear turn signals but the cords end up touching the fender that way. So I lashed them to the backrest. The backrest is narrow and doesn't provide a enough mounting security, it moves around with too much yawing motion hence the added Blue bungee cords going over the top of the carrier and hooked onto the backrest.

There's an extra combination security cable on there to deter walkaways (they'll have to slash the carry handle to free it up. No biggie, but it's more than a grab and run).

Someone here had a much cleaner looking mounting, I'd be curious to know how that was done !

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have the large bikers friend bag. i just use 4 zip ties to hold the bag on to the bike. i use 2 tied to the sissy bar and the other two to the spacers for the rear seat strap. i took off the strap but left the spacers on the rear seat. The bag is held very firmly and looks great.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Been eyeballing this biker's friend bag online.....for those of you who have it, how do you like it? Do the lock cables prevent the sides from being opened even a little bit? Does anyone have any other recommendations on something to put on the back of the bike to carry stuff?

Thanks for any help,
Bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been eyeballing this biker's friend bag online.....for those of you who have it, how do you like it? Do the lock cables prevent the sides from being opened even a little bit? Does anyone have any other recommendations on something to put on the back of the bike to carry stuff?

Thanks for any help,
Bob
Hi,

All the fasteners for closing up the storage compartment are 'soft' and can be cut with a sharp knife.. therefore, I wouldn't recommend these if security is a big concern. Next step up would probably be some kind of lockable hard bag. Haven't seen anything like a Corbin 'Beetle Bag' for the Fury yet..

Someone asked about the price. I got mine directly from the Manufacturer's WebSite, so I paid retail...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just ordered the Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag. I chose this one b/c supposedly you can mount it directly to the passenger seat. (didn't want a sissy bar) Will post on how it works out once I receive it if anyone's interested. I know another member here has one but he mounted to the sissy bar.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Hi,

All the fasteners for closing up the storage compartment are 'soft' and can be cut with a sharp knife.. therefore, I wouldn't recommend these if security is a big concern. Next step up would probably be some kind of lockable hard bag. Haven't seen anything like a Corbin 'Beetle Bag' for the Fury yet..

Someone asked about the price. I got mine directly from the Manufacturer's WebSite, so I paid retail...
Appreciate the info, do you like the bag? I'm not too concerned with security, but would like to have it locked up at the store so no once could open the side panels by just pulling on them.....

Do you have the large? If so, are you able to lean back on it with your normal riding position? Bag looks good...was thinking of using the tie strips and keeping it on the bike whenever my wife isn't riding with me.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mounting without touching paint

Member Stonewheel asked me about how I mounted my Biker's Friend to my bike, so here it is.

Primary priority was to have a workable mounting that DOES NOT touch the paint on the fender ANYWHERE. Secondary priority was low buck expenditure.
So cheap and ugly job, but PURE unmolested paint is the result...
Ladies & Gents
Sorry for my lack of contributing as I get much more from these forums than I give. However, this may help in attaching things to our bikes without scrathing the paint. Bungee nuts are Progressive Suspension part number BN-2c. Approx. $10 per pair. You then have to get 2 8mm bolts about a 1/2" longer than stock seat bolts, cut off the heads and thread the head end down about a 1/2" to attach the bungee nuts. Then replace the stock bolt and you now have a couple of attachement points for bungee cords. Total cost is $10 to $15. Might be more if you need to enlist a friend for a hack saw and a tap and die set.

Spud

·
Registered
438 Posts
Has anyone tried to put the bikersfriend bag Attached onto the sissybar but so that it rests on the rear fender with the fender guard on it?

Because sometimes my girl wants to ride with me on the fury and especially then you need luggage ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts