Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replied to captainfester in response to what color he should paint his engine (go black bro, colored is too showy imo). I had a lot of reply's and did not want to thread jack him so I'm starting a new thread on what steps I took to paint the Fury engine.

Step 1 (15 min)- I started by removing all plastic chrome and anything else I could remove to help get good coverage.
Step 2 (1 hour)- Plugged all holes and masked off anything around the engine (i.e. threading, etc) Then used what ever I had to cover up the rest of the bike
Step 3 (3 hours)- Ruffed up all the areas on the engine with the green scotch brite pad (take your time with the fins). Used my air compressor and blew out any debri, paint shavings and green pad that was left behind. I used a lot of the wife's Q-tips along with mineral spirits to clean between the fins and all the hard to reach areas. A once over with the air compresser and it was time to spray.

Now I know a lot of you think that you need to sand the paint down to get the paint to stick but the fact of the matter is as long as you rough up the silver engine paint your good to go. It's like have a primer already applied. Now if I were to powdercoat the engine then yeah a would need to sand and blast the engine paint off.

step 4 (1 hour)- I used exactly 2 cans of Dupli-Color Semi gloss black. Shot a light coat on first and waited 15min. The temp was close to 65 when I did it so I had a space heater close by helping me out. Then I continued to with another coat waited 15min. All in all I had close to 5 coats really being carefull as not to cause any dripping. It worked and then about an hour later it was dry to the touch.

I waited about a day before I took it for a ride and got the engine heated up pretty good to get a solid cure on the ceramic paint. It's been about 2,000 miles and no crakin, peeling or chipping going on. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and the difference it made with the look of the bike.

Next project is Tony's lowering mod...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
From the picture in the other thread, I thought you taped off the fins and left them silver...but that looks really good!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am not going to give you the ol dog and pony show about this.....that looks sensational! :D

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Really looks great, fantastic job. Your Fuggin intake really looks good. Did you get the black throttle body cover?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Looks nice Bighitter..
Should move this post to the DIY section of the forums..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it just me or did you tint your head light
It's just the camera. My wife had one of her friends partake in a photoshoot and they used my bike with her in it. I told the guy to take a few solo pics so I could show all you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really looks great, fantastic job. Your Fuggin intake really looks good. Did you get the black throttle body cover?
Thanks Richard!
I opted to but when I got everything blacked out that I wanted I saw no reason to. Without the cover in IMO it looks more raw, plus here in So Cal there's no need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bad ass. One question though, did you just take your mirrors off for the pictures, or do you ride w/o mirrors?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
That bike looks wicked; Big its BAD TO THE BONE!:cool:
Now this Black one makes me rethink why I got the Matte. Great job man!
She looks sleek, almost like its moving while parked.

Wheres' your front turn signals at?
Did you strip of pin strips on rims? Or repaint the stock aluminum ones?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That bike looks wicked; Big its BAD TO THE BONE!:cool:
Now this Black one makes me rethink why I got the Matte. Great job man!
She looks sleek, almost like its moving while parked.

Wheres' your front turn signals at?
Did you strip of pin strips on rims? Or repaint the stock aluminum ones?
I'm glad you like it bro.
If you look closely I fabbed some LED blinkers that bolt underneath the bottom tree clamp. I hated the stock lollipops!:D I will try and get better pic's if you want when i get home tonight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts