Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my brake calipers after having them powdercoated. The manual says to lube the seal lips. Does this refer to both the inside and outside edges or just the inner? Id rather not get grease and brake fluid all over my pwd coat so minimizing the lubeage would be nice. Am i over thinking this or is this a pertinent step? Does the lube keep the seal from drying out? Thanks

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I'm rebuilding my brake calipers after having them powdercoated. The manual says to lube the seal lips. Does this refer to both the inside and outside edges or just the inner? Id rather not get grease and brake fluid all over my pwd coat so minimizing the lubeage would be nice. Am i over thinking this or is this a pertinent step? Does the lube keep the seal from drying out? Thanks
your over thinking it. The inner seals ( giant O rings ) need some brake fluid to keep them moist. What i did .. take a small container and put some fresh brake fluid in it, couple table spoons. Toss in the inner seals to coat them, then remove them gently shaking off excess. Now your seal is coated ( greased ) and ready for install. Install the O rings making sure you dont have them twisted. Take your finger and coat the inside of the caliper as well. Then install the piston with the indentation facing out toward the brake pad. It should slide right in with out using a C clamp.

Make sure you dont have any paint inside the caliper. If you do, you may want to get in there with some fine sand paper and get it out. I know when i had mine chromed this spring i had to get in there and sand out some chroming crud. No big deal, just made the inside surface smooth again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Reminds me of a joke,...
I'll condense it. Penguins car breaks down on the side of the road, and he has it towed to the nearest service station. The penguin says, "can you tell me whats wrong with my car"?? The mechanic says, "give me some time to look it over. So the penguin goes over to the ice cream parlour across the street, and has a vanilla ice cream cone. after he finishes he crosses the street to check on the mechanics progress. the Mechanic sees the penguin approaching, and says, "Looks like you blew a seal."
And the penguin says, "Oh,.... no, It's just a little ice cream."

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Reminds me of a joke,...
I'll condense it. Penguins car breaks down on the side of the road, and he has it towed to the nearest service station. The penguin says, "can you tell me whats wrong with my car"?? The mechanic says, "give me some time to look it over. So the penguin goes over to the ice cream parlour across the street, and has a vanilla ice cream cone. after he finishes he crosses the street to check on the mechanics progress. the Mechanic sees the penguin approaching, and says, "Looks like you blew a seal."
And the penguin says, "Oh,.... no, It's just a little ice cream."
that aint right.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts