Honda Fury Forums: banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my new fury yesterday.. Love it. I have a question. I have what seems to be a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the front brake. The brakes work fine but the noise is annoying. Is this noise normal and will it go away?? Is it a serious problem and should it be taken to the dealer to be fixed???? Any help or suggestions would be helpful.... The dealer says this should go away when the pads brake in. I am just not sure about it. Thanks.....

Charles
Metallic Silver Fury

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My brakes have made noise from day one, but mostly I hear it on the back brake. Sometimes I don't hear it at all. If yours is like mine, it isn't that loud. It's just sound from normal operation. If it sounds like really rough metal to metal, then I'd start to be concerned. You can tell just by looking at your rotors if there's a real problem.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Just picked up my new fury yesterday.. Love it. I have a question. I have what seems to be a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the front brake. The brakes work fine but the noise is annoying. Is this noise normal and will it go away?? Is it a serious problem and should it be taken to the dealer to be fixed???? Any help or suggestions would be helpful.... Thanks.....

Charles
Metallic Silver Fury
The brakes are supposed to do that... They are doing that to alert you that they are there (literally, they designed them so you can hear them as they will save your life and you need to know that they are there)... There was a show on a few months back on motorcycles & the technology behind them, think it was on the Sci Fi channel, where they explained why brakes make noise and how capable they are at stopping your bike, and do particularly good in especially high heat (they lit up a brake system till it was red, and it still stopped the bike setup).

Most people aren't used to the noise because some of us aren't used to being almost next to the brake, literally. Your brakes should be fine, but if you think it should be checked out, just bring it to your dealer to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. Since I don't have your bike, I don't know the severity of the noise that you are having. Ya never know, they could have just installed it wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm no mechanic by no means, but the pads will rub on the rotor at all times. I have a sound from my brakes, but it is the same noise I've had on every bike I've owned. I would say as long as they're not squeeking or grinding, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I think Lester is right and if you put some pipes on the noise will go away. James is correct and its is normal to hear them. I myself would like to try a little harder and different pad because these ones seem to throw off a lot of brake dust that shows up on the chrome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you've ever spun a rotor on a car or truck by hand you can hear that noise. It just the pads and rotor contacting ever so slightly. You can hear it on your bike at low speeds because you are out in the open and close to the brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Yeah, it's funny until some poor devil actual listens to me and winds up taking it out on the highway with freshly oiled brakes. :eek: If they survived, I think I would be even more unpopular on here than I already am.:D
How are you unpopular?... you're a riot in my book and the only Martian I know at this point in my life :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That reminds me of something funny. A while back a poor guy had a small dent and scratch in his gas tank and he was on this forum asking for advice on how to fix it. This guy on here called "Rtrombone68" posted back this advice: "Throw the bike away and get another one." No smiley face or "lol" or nothing. Talk about LMAO! I thought that was hilarious. A fellow smartass...:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think Lester is right and if you put some pipes on the noise will go away. James is correct and its is normal to hear them. I myself would like to try a little harder and different pad because these ones seem to throw off a lot of brake dust that shows up on the chrome.[DITTO.Does anyone know if there is such pad or if there is a ceramic pad available .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.