Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the bolts that hold the handle bars is broken. My son went to tighten the acorn nut and it snapped the bolt. Can the bolt or I assume stud be replaced or do the handle bars have to be replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. The bad thing is I have one here he could have used.

Does the threaded part on handlebar come out or is it made to the bar? If it comes out I only need to replace it with a piece of all thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a DIY type job or best left to a Honda Dealer? The bar removal appears straight forward just not sure of throttle and clutch controls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be sure to use a JIS (Japanese industrial standard) screw driver and not a Phillips head or you will most likely strip the screws that hold the switch housings on.... then you will be replacing those too... lol
I learn something new everyday. I thought for sure a JIS screwdriver was some bulls$*& you were telling me and sure enough the damn things exist. THANKS. I would have used a regular phillips and had to replace something else.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Want to thank everyone for the JIS info! I have a set of extractor bits, didn't know that a row was JIS, now I do!

Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screws very closely resemble Philips, but have a small dimple in one of the quadrants. Attempting to remove this screw with a Philips #1 could strip it, but the JIS locks up tight. The Philips is angled, the JIS is a straight cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple of connectors, 2 nuts, and some switch housing hardware. Pretty easy
So pardon my ignorance. I never owned a bike and this is my son's so I am learning. Looking at it again today it appears as if I need to remove the clamp holding the clutch handle, clamp holding brake master cylinder, the clamp holding switches on left side of bar and clamp holding throttle assembly from the bar. Then remove remaining bolt on handle bar and remove. Of course remove speedometer. Not sure if this is correct order but it appears to be rather simple. Is there any chance of screwing up clutch or throttle linkages or getting out of adjustment? I've worked on cars all my life but never motorcycles. Trying to save him a few dollars and there always the satisfaction of saying "I did it myself".

Is this correct or should I go to Honda for repairs???
Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
You can buy a shop manual on Ebay pretty cheap. It has step by step written instructions and photos. Tremendous help. There's also an online version, but I don't know the link. I'm sure someone on here knows.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
So pardon my ignorance. I never owned a bike and this is my son's so I am learning. Looking at it again today it appears as if I need to remove the clamp holding the clutch handle, clamp holding brake master cylinder, the clamp holding switches on left side of bar and clamp holding throttle assembly from the bar. Then remove remaining bolt on handle bar and remove. Of course remove speedometer. Not sure if this is correct order but it appears to be rather simple. Is there any chance of screwing up clutch or throttle linkages or getting out of adjustment? I've worked on cars all my life but never motorcycles. Trying to save him a few dollars and there always the satisfaction of saying "I did it myself".

Is this correct or should I go to Honda for repairs???
Thanks for all the help
Time for some tough love.
To teach gorilla boy the value of using a torque wrench, find a comfy place on the sofa and let him worry about replacing the broken handlebar stud. He won't repeat his folly ever again, guaranteed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can attest to stripping out the heads of the JIS screws when attempting to use a Philips tip on them. I just learned about this myself after I screwed it up.

Here is the forum link (to the Dropbox link) to the shop manual. Dropbox links come and go, so I would download the whole thing now and save it to your hard drive.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just be sure to use a JIS (Japanese industrial standard) screw driver and not a Phillips head or you will most likely strip the screws that hold the switch housings on.... then you will be replacing those too... lol
Hmm! I'm used to the metric system and still didn't know this. Thanks for posting it! Good information.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hmm! I'm used to the metric system and still didn't know this. Thanks for posting it! Good information.
The interesting thing is that that the JIS is designed specifically to act counter to something that the phillips is designed to do. Specifically for the driver to pop out when the specific torque is met. Phillips this is intended, JIS it is not. One of the better discussions on the difference => JIS vs Phillips screwdrivers and Where to buy a JIS screwdriver. | Helping you work smarter not harder

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take your bars off, cut the other bolt off. Center punch both studs and drill them out with a 5/16 drill. Thread the hole with a 3/8 tap, then you can run a stainless steel Allen cap screw up from the bottom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
krashDH
Honda Fury Forums:
FuryForums.com is the premier Honda Fury community to discuss the motorcycle’s specs, accessories, parts, reviews, and prices. Join now!
Full Forum Listing