Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you happened to see the thread regarding GPS and where I chimed in about mounting an iPhone to the tank ...

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/3805-gps-2.html#post130980

... I found this product ...

... here: BurnsMoto - Motorcycle USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger

You can install this wherever you'd like, but I wanted this as much out of sight as possible.

So, here it is ... mounted behind the ignition & toolbox housing:

Now I can mount the iPhone on my tank and route the charging cable back to the phone ...

... OR I can run the wire forward and plug the iPhone in while it's in my fork-bag charging away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very clean, what about melting
It's mounted to the frame and clear of touching hot objects. I also wrapped the wire with a few rounds of electrical tape just to be safe.

I will route the wire UP and then back towards the battery.
I'm thinking of running her hot all of the time (unswitched) so I can charge the phone without turn on the key and, thus, the headlights and all the other sh!t that will come on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We've got a built in tool-kit? I'm actually being partly funny/serious. I like the usb port idea rather than running the full 12v cig. adapter that I've run for a while since it's less likely to have vibration issues and come undone. Nice find!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've got a built in tool-kit? I'm actually being partly funny/serious. I like the usb port idea rather than running the full 12v cig. adapter that I've run for a while since it's less likely to have vibration issues and come undone. Nice find!
For the partly serious part of you:
So, you push the buttons in on the three button-pins that hold the chrome cover around your ignition key then pull the button-pins out. Remove the cover and there's your toolkit. To replace the pins, pull the button out so now it's slightly dimpled outward of the button-pin, put the pin back in place and lightly push the button in so it's flush to the top of the button-pin.

Cig Lighter:
Yeah, I was wrestling with the same idea. And, I was also cogitating over whether I wanted the iPhone/Garmin on the handlebars - I want this bike with as few add-ons as possible.

So, when I found that my Griffin Aerosport Armband wraps around the lower end of the tank, I thought, "b-bye handlebar mount, hellooooow low profile placement."

Also, should I ever decide to take my Garmin instead of my iPhone for directions, there is a way to override the USB detection of the Garmin so that it doesn't just sit there in charging mode, but, instead, goes to map and powered mode. If I can find that link, I'll post it.

But, I am diggin' the USB connector and not only the weather-proof cap, but the rubber seal ...

...you can get to make it less prone to dampness when the USB cable is connected.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, if you have a Garmin and you wish to use the USB connector so you can keep power going to the Garmin with this BurnsMoto USB connector, here's how:

When you plug the USB cable into the BurnsMoto or any USB power socket and then the Mini-B plug into the back of the Garmin, the Garmin enters "charge mode or PC mode".

When it does this, unplug the mini USB cable. When the computer symbol disappears, IMMEDIATELY plug the USB mini cable back in.

The Garmin will then works as a GPS ... AND gets charged at the same time.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I hooked mine directly to the battery also so its always hot. I velcro'd mine to the right side under the tank. I velcro my Droid to the throttle body cover so I can access it easily. Sucks when you are wearing gloves but my wireless headphones can forward, back, pause and lower the volume right from the headset. Love my droid and never use my touch any more.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hooked mine directly to the battery also so its always hot. I velcro'd mine to the right side under the tank. I velcro my Droid to the throttle body cover so I can access it easily. Sucks when you are wearing gloves but my wireless headphones can forward, back, pause and lower the volume right from the headset. Love my droid and never use my touch any more.
Now I feel better about connecting it hot. I was concerned, in some ways, but if you did that, too, I definitely feel much better I'm not the only one.

As for headphones, I'm sure that's next :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm so glad I logged on today! I've been looking to do this for awhile but couldn't find a water/resistant/proof usb connector.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Just ordered mine - site said it was out of stock till next week, but I got an email from Stephen Burns at 10:20 last night saying that he had one left that he'd be shipping me this morning and offered to cancel expedited shipping since it was already in stock - it was only a couple of bucks but I appreciated the great communication and service from BurnsMoto.com!

can't wait to get this installed!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn one more thing to add to the to buy list.....man it keeps getting bigger.
Testify. Like, every day someone pings my wallet!

I'm so glad I logged on today! I've been looking to do this for awhile but couldn't find a water/resistant/proof usb connector.

Thanks for posting this.
Happy to help ... always!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Finally got mine mostly installed today - I decided to have the usb port under my tank - I have a RAM mount on the left side of my bars.

I was just going to prep the wire today - solder on some lugs with shrinktube - turned out great and was a very relaxing time... 5 minutes later I decided I should attach to the battery to see if everything was a go.

One thing lead to another and soon enough I had the seat and back fender off and the tank lifted up - running the wire was pretty straight ahead.

I don't have any wire ties here at home so I'll grab some tomorrow to finish up the job - otherwise I'm good to go.

I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
holy moley alan, great find!
i'm on this like white on rice, baby.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
holy moley alan, great find!
i'm on this like white on rice, baby.
Between that connector and the GPS Drive app on the iPhone ... I'm bound to roam more and get lost less (even tho BK Kid thinks I'll always be lost :rolleyes:).

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Between that connector and the GPS Drive app on the iPhone ... I'm bound to roam more and get lost less (even tho BK Kid thinks I'll always be lost :rolleyes:).
Is iPhone App free? I wouldn't mind making my galaxy into a true GPS but verizon wants to charge me for the gps feature... If there is an app for iPhone there has to be one for android.

Right now I'm just using google maps etc... in case I get lost. But I'd like to have something for the dragon trip... The usb would be nice just to charge my phone so I can tune out and check where I am at gas stations which then I'll have no worries of juice runnin out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ditto! I had no idea there was a tool kit there! :D

Thanks for the find on the USB port - I just ordered two! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Now I can mount the iPhone on my tank and route the charging cable back to the phone ...

What kind of mount is that for your phone? I really like that! Is it something that's easily removable when you aren't using it?

Sam

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Is iPhone App free? I wouldn't mind making my galaxy into a true GPS but verizon wants to charge me for the gps feature... If there is an app for iPhone there has to be one for android.

Right now I'm just using google maps etc... in case I get lost. But I'd like to have something for the dragon trip... The usb would be nice just to charge my phone so I can tune out and check where I am at gas stations which then I'll have no worries of juice runnin out.
The app is either $.99 or $1.99, but no more than that.
Definitely one of the best apps I've paid $$ to download.

Details here:
MotionX | MotionX News MotionX-GPS Drive

What kind of mount is that for your phone? I really like that! Is it something that's easily removable when you aren't using it?

Sam
Griffin Aerosport Armband
I got it some time ago at Target, but you may only find it online now. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Doesn't seem they have a android app... but i'll look around. I'm assuming the app works with data charges not voice?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts