Honda Fury Forums: banner

BurnsMoto USB Port Install - How To

21K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  Vray69 
#1 ·
If you happened to see the thread regarding GPS and where I chimed in about mounting an iPhone to the tank ...

http://www.furyforums.com/forum/honda-fury-general-discussion/3805-gps-2.html#post130980

... I found this product ...

... here: BurnsMoto - Motorcycle USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger

You can install this wherever you'd like, but I wanted this as much out of sight as possible.

So, here it is ... mounted behind the ignition & toolbox housing:

Now I can mount the iPhone on my tank and route the charging cable back to the phone ...

... OR I can run the wire forward and plug the iPhone in while it's in my fork-bag charging away.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's mounted to the frame and clear of touching hot objects. I also wrapped the wire with a few rounds of electrical tape just to be safe.

I will route the wire UP and then back towards the battery.
I'm thinking of running her hot all of the time (unswitched) so I can charge the phone without turn on the key and, thus, the headlights and all the other sh!t that will come on.

#4 ·
We've got a built in tool-kit? I'm actually being partly funny/serious. I like the usb port idea rather than running the full 12v cig. adapter that I've run for a while since it's less likely to have vibration issues and come undone. Nice find!

#5 ·
We've got a built in tool-kit? I'm actually being partly funny/serious. I like the usb port idea rather than running the full 12v cig. adapter that I've run for a while since it's less likely to have vibration issues and come undone. Nice find!
For the partly serious part of you:
So, you push the buttons in on the three button-pins that hold the chrome cover around your ignition key then pull the button-pins out. Remove the cover and there's your toolkit. To replace the pins, pull the button out so now it's slightly dimpled outward of the button-pin, put the pin back in place and lightly push the button in so it's flush to the top of the button-pin.

Cig Lighter:
Yeah, I was wrestling with the same idea. And, I was also cogitating over whether I wanted the iPhone/Garmin on the handlebars - I want this bike with as few add-ons as possible.

So, when I found that my Griffin Aerosport Armband wraps around the lower end of the tank, I thought, "b-bye handlebar mount, hellooooow low profile placement."

Also, should I ever decide to take my Garmin instead of my iPhone for directions, there is a way to override the USB detection of the Garmin so that it doesn't just sit there in charging mode, but, instead, goes to map and powered mode. If I can find that link, I'll post it.

But, I am diggin' the USB connector and not only the weather-proof cap, but the rubber seal ...

...you can get to make it less prone to dampness when the USB cable is connected.

#6 ·
OK, if you have a Garmin and you wish to use the USB connector so you can keep power going to the Garmin with this BurnsMoto USB connector, here's how:

When you plug the USB cable into the BurnsMoto or any USB power socket and then the Mini-B plug into the back of the Garmin, the Garmin enters "charge mode or PC mode".

When it does this, unplug the mini USB cable. When the computer symbol disappears, IMMEDIATELY plug the USB mini cable back in.

The Garmin will then works as a GPS ... AND gets charged at the same time.

#7 ·
I hooked mine directly to the battery also so its always hot. I velcro'd mine to the right side under the tank. I velcro my Droid to the throttle body cover so I can access it easily. Sucks when you are wearing gloves but my wireless headphones can forward, back, pause and lower the volume right from the headset. Love my droid and never use my touch any more.

#12 ·
Testify. Like, every day someone pings my wallet!

I'm so glad I logged on today! I've been looking to do this for awhile but couldn't find a water/resistant/proof usb connector.

Thanks for posting this.
Happy to help ... always!

#11 ·
Just ordered mine - site said it was out of stock till next week, but I got an email from Stephen Burns at 10:20 last night saying that he had one left that he'd be shipping me this morning and offered to cancel expedited shipping since it was already in stock - it was only a couple of bucks but I appreciated the great communication and service from BurnsMoto.com!

can't wait to get this installed!

#13 ·
Finally got mine mostly installed today - I decided to have the usb port under my tank - I have a RAM mount on the left side of my bars.

I was just going to prep the wire today - solder on some lugs with shrinktube - turned out great and was a very relaxing time... 5 minutes later I decided I should attach to the battery to see if everything was a go.

One thing lead to another and soon enough I had the seat and back fender off and the tank lifted up - running the wire was pretty straight ahead.

I don't have any wire ties here at home so I'll grab some tomorrow to finish up the job - otherwise I'm good to go.

I'll post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

#21 ·
Here's how I routed mine...

Lugs on battery - blue and red shrinktube..

Goes up behind battery routed under tank...

Continuing on...

Comes out here - more shrinktube - white...

Here's the USB Port...

Not bad from a few steps back.

I'm not very good with this kind of stuff but am pretty happy with how it came out.

#23 ·
Here's how I routed mine...

Lugs on battery - blue and red shrinktube..

Goes up behind battery routed under tank...

Continuing on...

Comes out here - more shrinktube - white...

Here's the USB Port...

Not bad from a few steps back.

I'm not very good with this kind of stuff but am pretty happy with how it came out.

You benefit from having a black frame. Others with a black bike, as well, will do well mounting it that way.

I either needed to go my route or paint it blue ... which the latter was possible, but I didn't want to hassle with it. I do have a process for painting things quick & easy to get close; I did paint my SunPass to match the bike when I mount it on the tank via suction cups.

#22 ·
Clean install G. I was so excited when I found this plug. Everyone who see's it wants the link for it. The water proof plug is a must because its partially exposed. I didnt have enough shrink tubbing for the whole wire but will do that so you cant see the red wire.

#28 ·
got my ram mount 'mounted' on the downtube of my handlebars, behind my windscreen. routed the strut to point my iphone right next to the speedo.
when my usb cable comes in i'll route like groovedaddy (great handle, dude!).

as for the voice mode, i like that you can buy as you go. frankly, on a bike, i don't need sound--and i'm not into headphones/earphones when i'm riding.

all in all, i'm happy with the idea--thanks for sparking this, Alan.

groovedaddy?...what a hoot--very cool.

#29 ·
I'm getting interested in this as I'm thinking about using my bike to do a little semi local traveling to some appointments and was thinking about getting this. So as far as the install all you have to do is run one wire to the hot on the battery and the other to the negative? Any issues with running it straight to the battery? Thinking about getting this to either run my tomtom or my evo as my gps, would rather have the tomtom but have to figure out how to mount it to where i can see it.

#55 ·
#32 ·
I've had mine installed for a while now. I don't know what is the deal with mine. When I have it plugged in it show charging but barely charges it. I have mine connected right to the battery. I have a Motorola Atrix droid. I don't know if its my unit or what. I was on a all day trip and when I unplugged it, it was almost dead. I use my phone for GPS and all my tunes. Anyone else having this issue?

#33 ·
OK, I thought it was just me. I have mine hooked directly to the battery w/ no fuse, either. It keeps my iPhone alive, but it doesn't seem to have the ability to "juice it" up more than what is being used.

I'll write to Burns now ...

#34 ·
Stephen wrote back:

I recently used my iPhone 4 as a gps on a trip. I had no drainage problems and the battery stayed at 100%. You have to make sure you have the latest firmware because some of the updates include battery charging enhancements.

On the older iPhones when the GPS is running it draws more power than the charger at 1amp can provide. This is a known issue with those iphones. What version of iphone do you have?

I'll have to test mine again once I get back to riding. Don't want to kill my battery while the bike's sitting in my dining room awaiting my tins return.

#35 ·
I lost a garmin 250w using the USB so please be careful. it charges my HTC smartphone fine but after about 20 mins with the garmin plugged in the gps shut off to never turn on again. I sent my garmin in for repair and they said it was hooked to an improper power source. I asked them to elaborate and he said more then 5 volts was sent to the unit blowing out some kind of chip on the board inside. they had to replace the board and sent me a new cig plug thinking mine was defective.

I never told them how I had it hooked up
:rolleyes:

just be careful using a gps with it

#36 ·
I lost a garmin 250w using the USB so please be careful. it charges my HTC smartphone fine but after about 20 mins with the garmin plugged in the gps shut off to never turn on again. I sent my garmin in for repair and they said it was hooked to an improper power source. I asked them to elaborate and he said more then 5 volts was sent to the unit blowing out some kind of chip on the board inside. they had to replace the board and sent me a new cig plug thinking mine was defective.

I never told them how I had it hooked up:rolleyes:

just be careful using a gps with it
Did you put a fuse on it?

#38 ·
LOL,
YES Alan, fused, switch and relay driven.

The USB is supposed to drop to 5 volts according to the site but mine puts out 6.9 to 7.5v
OK, what kind of relay?
And, what size fuse?

#49 ·
An Update for those interested. I just received the following email from Stephen:

On 7/28/2011 9:53 PM, Stephen Burns wrote:
Jess,
I joined the fury forum to address the problem, but i'm not allowed to post because i haven't been approved yet.
Please let the members know... If their usb socket is putting out too much voltage, I will replace the unit for no charge.
Now that i know of this is a problem, I've started to test every unit that leaves BurnsMoto.
I am also trying to contact the manufacturer to fix the problem at the factory and file a claim on 2001MatteOrange's part.
Thanks,
Stephen Burns
BurnsMoto.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.