Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a new silver Fury here in California. The description says that the California epa is different from the other states. I found the charcoal canister hidden just in front of the rear wheel, accessible from the bottom. Question: Do bikes in the other states have this canister also? curious. If so then I assume that they have all the other hoses etc. also. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. If anyone has inputs it will be appreciated. I have a sabre and the hoses etc. for California are excessive. To work on it you have to remove all the extra hoses and tanks. :mad: I came to the conclusion that if I can buy a Fury out of CA and get it registered here, then I can assume that they are the same for all states. Anyone have any information about this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Charcoal canister on Fury in colorado

I live in Denver,Colorado and I do have a canister, hoses, solinoid..etc..the whole stupid mess...:mad: on my bike. It was shipped in so I couldn't tell you for sure if it is a "Cali" spec. bike or not. But I would be very surprized if it is. I be willing to bet that they all have it on them. BTW...there are still no emmisions on motorcyles in Colorado. THANK GOD!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Mine's a Nevada, 49-state, model and has no extraneous emissions-control hardware, except the "cats" in the muffler, which I removed, and the PAIR Valve, which I blocked.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I just looked at a new silver Fury here in California. The description says that the California epa is different from the other states. I found the charcoal canister hidden just in front of the rear wheel, accessible from the bottom. Question: Do bikes in the other states have this canister also? curious. If so then I assume that they have all the other hoses etc. also. :confused:
There are 50 state models (sold in Ca.) and 49 state models, sold in other states, the 50 state models all have the can and plumbing, and a diff ECU.
I live in Denver,Colorado and I do have a canister, hoses, solinoid..etc..the whole stupid mess...:mad: on my bike. It was shipped in so I couldn't tell you for sure if it is a "Cali" spec. bike or not. But I would be very surprized if it is. I be willing to bet that they all have it on them. BTW...there are still no emmisions on motorcyles in Colorado. THANK GOD!!
From your avatar it looks as if you have a matte silver model, they are ALL 50 state models, so you have the canister and associated "stuff "

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are 50 state models (sold in Ca.) and 49 state models, sold in other states, the 50 state models all have the can and plumbing, and a diff ECU.

From your avatar it looks as if you have a matte silver model, they are ALL 50 state models, so you have the canister and associated "stuff "
Are you sure all the matte silver bikes are the 50 state model? if so, what is the removal process? i use the non CA Fi2000 on mine and it works just fine. is the only difference the adjustable pods?

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Are you sure all the matte silver bikes are the 50 state model? if so, what is the removal process? i use the non CA Fi2000 on mine and it works just fine. is the only difference the adjustable pods?
Yes. I don't know if it can be removed without causing an FI code, there is a signal sent from the ECU that purges the tank vent into the charcoal can, I don't know what else is different in the 2 systems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes. I don't know if it can be removed without causing an FI code, there is a signal sent from the ECU that purges the tank vent into the charcoal can, I don't know what else is different in the 2 systems.
It can be removed without causing any FI codes. As for the flow of fumes, I believe they flow from the tank to the canister, and then from the canister to the intake manifold via the solenoid when activated by the ECU. If you remove the canister, make sure you leave the tank vent line open. These bikes have non-vented gas caps, and I've heard that plugging the vent line on fuel injected bike with a non-vented gas cap can cause the tank to cave in due to suction from the fuel pump :(

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
It can be removed without causing any FI codes. As for the flow of fumes, I believe they flow from the tank to the canister, and then from the canister to the intake manifold via the solenoid when activated by the ECU. If you remove the canister, make sure you leave the tank vent line open. These bikes have non-vented gas caps, and I've heard that plugging the vent line on fuel injected bike with a non-vented gas cap can cause the tank to cave in due to suction from the fuel pump :(
Looking at the diagram in the manual, it looks to me that removing the can would do nothing for you unless you needed the space the can takes up. Plus if you leave the hose from the can to the purge valve open, you will be sucking dirty air into the intake.

·
Premium Member
13,647 Posts
there are two things i like about cali epa,and both of them are nothing.nuff said

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks. If anyone has inputs it will be appreciated. I have a sabre and the hoses etc. for California are excessive. To work on it you have to remove all the extra hoses and tanks. :mad: I came to the conclusion that if I can buy a Fury out of CA and get it registered here, then I can assume that they are the same for all states. Anyone have any information about this? :rolleyes:
You cannot buy a motorcycle from out of state and register it in california without adding the EPA stuff to it unless the bike is more than five years old and has a certain number of miles on it. The regulations are very strict. I only know this because my brother tried to register a used bike from Nevada. Even though it was old enough, it had very few miles on it. He was told that it was still considered "New" and he would have to add the EPA stuff to the bike to register it in CA. I sold him my old Shadow Ace instead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looking at the diagram in the manual, it looks to me that removing the can would do nothing for you unless you needed the space the can takes up. Plus if you leave the hose from the can to the purge valve open, you will be sucking dirty air into the intake.
There's a few reasons to remove the canister, but mainly because it's emission crap that doesn't help the bike run any better. When we stick a catalytic converter on the ass of every cow in the world, I'll start to worry about the emissions produced by my bike. As we already know, 49 state bikes don't even have canisters.

If anyone does choose to remove theirs, they should remove everything except the gas tank vent line. When removing the vapor return line from the intake, you'll need a vacuum cap to put on the nipple so that as Clueless suggests, you don't suck dirty air into your engine.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
When you guy's get done with the conversation, post up some pictures or something that would indicate what you guy's are talking about... this would be nice for everybody else as well. I personally don't have an owner's manual, so I have to rely on pictures sometimes or just exploring the bike to figure out what you guy's or other people are talking about... Thanks in advance, interesting conversation too...

·
Registered
123 Posts
When you guy's get done with the conversation, post up some pictures or something that would indicate what you guy's are talking about... this would be nice for everybody else as well. I personally don't have an owner's manual, so I have to rely on pictures sometimes or just exploring the bike to figure out what you guy's or other people are talking about... Thanks in advance, interesting conversation too...
Sorry Red, don't have any pix of that. The charcoal canister is the black cylider looking thingy at the rear of the frame, just to the rear of the oil filter. Getting the oil filter out easily is one reason to ditch the stupid canister.

If memory serves me, it's got a line connected at each end, plus a short vent tube to the ground. One of the lines goes to the gas tank (vent tube), and one goes to the intake via the solenoid. If you lift the gas tank and take the side covers and ignition switch box off, you can trace the tubes from the canister.

You should really pop for the shop manual, it's the best $45 you'll spend on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Best I can do, I am at work http://http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1047354&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2010&fveh=28522
This is mounted in front of your swingarm, low on the frame. All the can does is vent the gas fumes from the tank, thru a charcoal cannister, into your intake. Doesn't really have anything to do with emissions , has to do with gas fumes, it is the same as the stupid azzed rubber boot on the gas pump nozzle. (I am assuming Calif still has those) the rest of us just vent fumes to the air, like a cow. It does not add nor take away any power, other than the weight of it. There is a thread in the VTXOA 1800 How to section about it. IF you do go thru the trouble to remove it, lengthen the vent hose so it dangles down under the frame.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Best I can do, I am at work http://http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1047354&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2010&fveh=28522
This is mounted in front of your swingarm, low on the frame. All the can does is vent the gas fumes from the tank, thru a charcoal cannister, into your intake. Doesn't really have anything to do with emissions , has to do with gas fumes, it is the same as the stupid azzed rubber boot on the gas pump nozzle. (I am assuming Calif still has those) the rest of us just vent fumes to the air, like a cow. It does not add nor take away any power, other than the weight of it. There is a thread in the VTXOA 1800 How to section about it. IF you do go thru the trouble to remove it, lengthen the vent hose so it dangles down under the frame.

Thanks, yea... most of the time I refer to those drawing when I am reading these things, sometimes I just forget about them. Anyways, thanks for the info and oh... HDL is having a sale, the code is July4#DS for anybody interested or in need of any parts...

·
Registered
123 Posts
The fuel vapor recovery system captures hydrocarbon "emissions" and burns them in the engine. ;)

The gas tank vent line is already long enough to dangle below the frame when disconnected from the cannister.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Question? Is the return hose from canister that goes to the solenoid and into the air intake one of the same hoses and same solenoid that is removed during pair valve removal? And is such hole in air intake the same one that is closed during said removal? :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts