Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking to a cam shop about getting a set of cams cut for my bike. Been talking off and on all day with the guy about what I've got and what I want. Feeling pretty good about this, so I'm buying a good looking set of cams out of a 14 Fury to send to this guy. Definitely ready to see how this turns out.

·
Super Moderator
3,169 Posts
High-lift cams with high-compression cylinders have been done before and detailed on FuryForums. An ECU tune is also needed. The injectors have plenty of squirt, so that's not an issue.

If you're after that high-compression sound and have an exhaust to put it out there, you'll be happy with it.

If you're looking for power...it's not a good return on investment. The good thing is the Fury powerplant is designed exceptionally well, especially for its size. I have engine tweaks, a Power Commander 5 with pro dyno tune for that exact bike, intake & exhaust, ...the power is rarely usable, it's normally too much power for the style of bike and a real pain to drive on the street. It's obviously not a track bike either. Yes, it has smoked every Harley it came up against so far, which is quite a feat since i live in Milwaukee. I've commented many times on the forum it's actually too much power to be pleasurable to drive on a regular basis. I wanted to put cams and pistons in, maybe even enlarge the jugs, but it's already "too much." (This from a guy who drives a street-legal race car and the world's fastest Slingshots, so it's not said without merit.)

So i own one of the most powerful Furys in the world (thanks to AJ), as in there's one other guy who has a competing dyno graph and it's a tossup who puts more power to the ground. It's not fun to drive. I'm going back to a custom tune by Don Guhl that @Kbuskill helped out with--Ken even gave me the world's very first reprogrammed ECU, set up specifically for my bike. (i'm very greatful to AJ and Ken for all their work, they're great guys!) With a bunch of engine tweaks it's also incredibly powerful, though not nearly as much as the PC5 tune--but it's manageable power. It's really pleasant to drive. It's fast, very fast (for a chopper).

With that said I support you in putting cams in if that's what you want. Truth be told, the Fury is fun to drive with the "crackhead" PC5 tune, but thinking about every throttle/clutch/brake input while driving before actually doing anything isn't fun--it's like being on the track all the time, one mistake and the power could get you (not complaining, just...wow, that's a lot of power...)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, not planning on going crazy with those cams. I know it has more potential, I felt it with just the slipons. Mainly looking for more midrange punch. Topend would be pointless, I rarely ride over 80. Lowend would be dangerous, roads around here are crappy and it rains ALOT. So my plans are the cams, ECU, better air filter. Future thoughts are possibly having the tank split and widened for an extra gal. Of course, that just a thought. Haven't made it that far yet. For now, I'm just unchoking the engine so it can breathe better.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Nah, not planning on going crazy with those cams. I know it has more potential, I felt it with just the slipons. Mainly looking for more midrange punch. Topend would be pointless, I rarely ride over 80. Lowend would be dangerous, roads around here are crappy and it rains ALOT. So my plans are the cams, ECU, better air filter. Future thoughts are possibly having the tank split and widened for an extra gal. Of course, that just a thought. Haven't made it that far yet. For now, I'm just unchoking the engine so it can breathe better.
Where are you located?

You would probably need to take your bike to Don Guhl to have him dyno your bike with the new cams to get a proper tune since it wouldn't be a standard bike any longer.

It would be well worth the effort if you can make it happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Louisiana. Been thinking about that. Reflash would be good, but a programmer would allow fine tuning. It's all still ideas at this point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol! Damn, missed my window then. I just loaded a compressor up that was shipping to there. I completely agree with you, fine tuning the ECU would be 100 times better, but the thought of removing the ECU a few times and waiting is disappointing to a degree. Living in Louisiana gives me the opportunity to ride year round. Think the last time we saw snow was 5-6 years ago. Still weighing the pros and cons so far. If I went the reflash route, I would need to include every possible detail and spec I could think of so the reflash would be more effective. The controller, eh.... don't like the thought of it, but it would allow me to get my settings close to perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
High-lift cams with high-compression cylinders have been done before and detailed on FuryForums. An ECU tune is also needed. The injectors have plenty of squirt, so that's not an issue.

If you're after that high-compression sound and have an exhaust to put it out there, you'll be happy with it.

If you're looking for power...it's not a good return on investment. The good thing is the Fury powerplant is designed exceptionally well, especially for its size. I have engine tweaks, a Power Commander 5 with pro dyno tune for that exact bike, intake & exhaust, ...the power is rarely usable, it's normally too much power for the style of bike and a real pain to drive on the street. It's obviously not a track bike either. Yes, it has smoked every Harley it came up against so far, which is quite a feat since i live in Milwaukee. I've commented many times on the forum it's actually too much power to be pleasurable to drive on a regular basis. I wanted to put cams and pistons in, maybe even enlarge the jugs, but it's already "too much." (This from a guy who drives a street-legal race car and the world's fastest Slingshots, so it's not said without merit.)

So i own one of the most powerful Furys in the world (thanks to AJ), as in there's one other guy who has a competing dyno graph and it's a tossup who puts more power to the ground. It's not fun to drive. I'm going back to a custom tune by Don Guhl that @Kbuskill helped out with--Ken even gave me the world's very first reprogrammed ECU, set up specifically for my bike. (i'm very greatful to AJ and Ken for all their work, they're great guys!) With a bunch of engine tweaks it's also incredibly powerful, though not nearly as much as the PC5 tune--but it's manageable power. It's really pleasant to drive. It's fast, very fast (for a chopper).

With that said I support you in putting cams in if that's what you want. Truth be told, the Fury is fun to drive with the "crackhead" PC5 tune, but thinking about every throttle/clutch/brake input while driving before actually doing anything isn't fun--it's like being on the track all the time, one mistake and the power could get you (not complaining, just...wow, that's a lot of power...)
Where is the best place for a pcv tune? I have the exhaust, intake and power commander.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if it will help you. And I'm hoping that someone with alot more extensive knowledge about them will chime in to clarify.

·
Super Moderator
3,169 Posts
Where is the best place for a pcv tune? I have the exhaust, intake and power commander.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I have a list of things that I do before a tune, documented in the Reflash thread (I think). Synopses is get everything that can affect the tune adjusted exactly where it makes the most sense: this gets the engine running "as well as it can" and provides a baseline for future adjustments (the reason race engines are "blueprinted"). This provides the most bang-for-the-buck and takes a lot of the guesswork out of future settings (you know where they should be, which is where they started).

Then take it to a tuner on a day that most closely represents your average riding day (temperature, barometric pressure, humidity).

And of course, you need someone with experience to dial things in quickly and tweak their work.

Like painting, most of the work is in the prep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts