Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you all know you gotta be careful with sidemounts. Florida somewhat recently changed their motorcycle plate laws to be a little more clear and they can cite you if the vehicle is parked even.

"securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word “Florida,” the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Except as provided in s. 316.2085(3), vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. "

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I was in Florida less than a week before I was stopped for my plate being vertical. Just a warning though, no ticket.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Out of curiosity:

....Except as provided in s. 316.2085(3)...
Has anyone living in Fla looked that section up to see what the exception is?

NM found it:

316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically its the plate has to be 12" higher then the ground, Lit, Horrizontal, and not a pivoting mount. (pivoting mount would probably be OK but a cop can harrass you over it)

·
Registered
28 Posts
xx

how old is that instruction, a few months ago i was told that the vert mount ban was changed and the plate just had to be lite and easily visible from the rear.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how old is that instruction, a few months ago i was told that the vert mount ban was changed and the plate just had to be lite and easily visible from the rear.
That was straight from the Florida state statute online. I would imagine it would be updated within a few days of changes and went into effect around Feb 2009

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Imwright
That was straight from the Florida state statute online. I would imagine it would be updated within a few days of changes and went into effect around Feb 2009

You live in Florida and don't know by now nothing gets updated here. Thats why no one knows, and can not easily find out the laws in Florida. Talk about dumber and dumber. Thanks Tallahassee. Check amendment SB1100, I believe around June 2009.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Imwright

You live in Florida and don't know by now nothing gets updated here. Thats why no one knows, and can not easily find out the laws in Florida. Talk about dumber and dumber. Thanks Tallahassee. Check amendment SB1100, I believe around June 2009.
double-pump on that, folks. The good news is that the statute does not mention 'VISIBLE FROM BOTH SIDES".

in a nutshell:
horizontal
12" to 60" off the ground
fixed mount
visible from 100ft
unimpaired from full view (i.e. no shrouds, frenching, deep inset)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Imwright

Published by Abate-SB 1100
ATTENTION-ATTENTION-ATTENTION

FLORIDA HORIZONTAL TAG LAW
As of 6/16/09
The Governor has signed the reversal of the "Horizontal Tag" Bill that previously restricted vertical license plates on motorcycles. THE UNLAWFUL SPEEDING VIOLATIONS ARE STILL PRESENT IN THE LAW.

CS/CS/SB 1100 Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles [CPSC]: The Bill that removes the "horizontal" wording of the motorcycle tag was signed by Officers and presented to Governor on 06/08/09 .

Here is the wording of this bill as it relates to motorcycles:
"Section 4. Subsection (3) of section 316.2085, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:
316.2085 Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.—
The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up. No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used." Click HERE for the same information presented by the Florida Dept. of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles (4th item down, F.S.S. 316.2085(3)): http://www.flhsmv.gov/Leg2009.htm

316.2085(3)A motorcyclist may not conceal or obscure their license plate. The requirement that a motorcycle license plate be affixed horizontally is deleted.

www.leg.state.fl.us. Please feel free to contact this office at 850-617-3195 if we can provide additional assistance

Governor Charlie Crist Signed Amended Bill Restoring use of Vertical License Plates

Charlie Crist signed an amended bill (SB 1100) restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag/vertical license plate for motorcycles and scooters, if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers; effective June 16, 2009.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRLog (Press Release)Sep 04, 2009 – Contact
Andrew Godfrey, Sinclair Law Offices

September 4, 2009

Motorcycle Attorney Brad Sinclair Informs Riders that Governor Charlie Crist Signed Amended Bill Restoring use of Vertical License Plates

Melbourne, FL – Motorcycle Attorney Brad Sinclair, of Sinclair Law Offices, informs riders that Governor Charlie Crist signed an amended bill (SB 1100) restoring the legality of the use of a vertical tag/vertical license plate for motorcycles and scooters, if it cannot be adjusted or flipped up to conceal the plate numbers. The new law went into effect on June 16, 2009.

“Many of the law enforcement agencies may not be aware of the change,” says Sinclair. “Therefore, it is up to us to get the word out and educate the motorcycling community of the change in the law.”

The amended Florida Statute 316.2085(3) states “A motorcyclist may not conceal or obscure their license plate. The requirement that a motorcycle license plate be affixed horizontally is deleted.” The above is a legislative change related to the motor vehicle laws that were enacted during the 2009 Legislative Session. To view the above statute or for more information on the amended motorcycle statues visit http://www.flhsmv.gov/Leg2009.htm.

Sinclair Law Offices focuses on Motorcycle Accidents, Auto Accidents, Truck Accidents and Personal Injury. The firm was founded in 1995 and is headquartered in Melbourne, Florida, at 5465 N. Highway 1. Attorney Brad Sinclair is licensed to practice law in Florida since 1984. He can be contacted at 321.253.4200 or toll free at 888.722.1974.

--- end ---

Thanks Mental, that must of taken hours of research. Nah, Mentals Smart, but don't let anybody know!

·
Registered
63 Posts
(3)The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground, provided that the registered owner of the motorcycle or moped maintains a prepaid toll account in good standing and a transponder associated with the prepaid toll account is affixed to the motorcycle or moped.

Can anyone tell me what this means, i pulled this off the wesite above. I love it when it says it "may be affixed" so is that has to be or could be affixed another way --> vertical. :confused:

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Reread my Post, It has Been Amended. You are Quoting Florida Statutes 2009 February, Which Was Amended By Governor Crist in June of 2009. Don't You Read My Shit? :(

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reread my Post, It has Been Amended. You are Quoting Florida Statutes 2009 February, Which Was Amended By Governor Crist in June of 2009. Don't You Read My Shit? :(
I read it. Didnt see the ammendment, I have heard mixed things and since the statute book is 2010 you would expect them to change that for the reprint. Pretty soon our government is going to be like california but without trying to legalize marijuana.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts