Honda Fury Forums: banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick write-up of my DIY LED taillight setup.

I picked up the 11" rear taillight rig with amber turn signals and smoked housing from Chromeglow.com, plus the dual-element circut - $71:
LED Flexible Arrays Light Bar with Turn Signals - Chrome Glow

I then picked up some 1/8"x1-1/4" flat steel stock (4' piece) and a 24" piece of 1/4" square stock for about $15 from Lowes.

I pulled off the fender, and used cardboard to trace the shape of the bottom of the fender. I used a propane torch and hammer/bench vise anvil to form the 1/4" steel bar to match the curve. Took some time, but it's a learning experience.

I then took the flat steel, and cut a notch to allow me to heat and bend the it to close the notch and match the angle of the taillight substructure. I drilled 2 1/4" holes in each flat piece to match the spacing of the stock substructure mounting points, and threaded them with a 1/4"-20 tap.

I pulled off the taillight substructure and mounted the 2 new side bars with 1/4"-20 stainless steel panhead screws, and put the fender back on with the new structure extending past the end of the fender. I traced where the fender ended on the side bars with a marker, removed the fender, and cut the new taillight supports on the mark. I tack-welded the 1/4" square bar to the mounts, and test fit the fender.

I'll admit it took a couple adjustments, but it finally set just right, right on line with the fender height-wise and a little bit recessed. I finished off the welds, cleaned it all up with a wire wheel on the bench grinder, hit it with primer and gloss black paint, and mounted it on the bike.

Then i cut off the stock harness *way* up near the fender flap, and spliced in the new dual-element circuit for the brake light and soldered all the wires together. Since the unit has amber turn signals I didn't need any control boxes.

I replaced the turn signal relay with an LED relay from Cycle Gear, plug-and-play, and zip-tied it in place.

Finished look, no more lollipops!:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Looking good, glad you finished it!!!

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
there outa be 30 or so (MFR was here)'s out there :D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
nice job--i'm inspired--I may get the side mount plate kit now...i like our fenders--and want to see more tire exposed, too.
I got mfr's tailights and the only thing left would be to move the license plate and my diode bolts to the side-so, I don't need but a few hours in the garage to "hammer" out my plan.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Good job bro, looks good... gotta love those Radiantz lights. Excellent add-on for anybody!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Fantastic look. Was thinking about putting my plate on the swingarm.....but decided to put a bag there instead. Another future purchase.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Awesome work man!!! Looks really good..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looks good man, wish our law would allow those here!

In The Netherlands there must be 18cm (7,08inch) between the turn signals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts